CSNbbs
Basketball Recruit Updates - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Basketball Recruit Updates (/thread-727343.html)

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 04-24-2021 08:51 AM

There’s still some good ones out there. Hope that they come and make us the team to beat.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 04-24-2021 09:22 AM

Are you kidding me? This guy is absolutely terrific. His jumper is what I personally like in that he does his work early and quickly. Big time for UNCW!! Go to his video freshman mix tape.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/alec-oglesby

Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 04-24-2021 09:25 AM

(04-24-2021 08:47 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(04-24-2021 07:47 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(04-24-2021 05:40 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Good size that can play immediately is a matter of supply and demand, and the demand is extemely high.

Looking at the portal for power forwards, most of them are four stars and are already signed.

An interesting player available is a 7 footer from EZU, Edra Luster. But we know how that went last time UNCW took on an EZU transfer. And there's a 6'11" guy from UConn, and that's about it.

We have to look at DII and JUCO to have a chance. Right now, we'd have to pull a four star transfer with who's available as a big man in the DI portal.

Wait a minute, you guys have been telling me “there are 1500” guys in the portal, now you are t’eeing up an excuse? He needs to get size with the last two , period if not it’s on him. We can’t get demolished on the boards and expect to win regardless of style and press

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"You guys" haven't been saying anything. Yes, there are 1400 guys in the portal. You seem to have a difficult time understanding the difference between reality and an excuse. Take a look at the transfer portal yourself, it's not private. The facts are right there for all to see. There is plenty of time, but landing big men isn't just a matter of wanting them. Every decent big man will be sitting on multiple offers from high level schools. We still have two spots available, and whoever we get will get immediate playing time. Siddle may have to make a tough decision if he can get a big man that has to sit a year. Does he pass and hope he can land two big men than can play this year, or does he use a scholarship to lock down a future player?

That's reality.

You have made excuses from day one. I can only hope that he gets a few bigs and starts winning because then you won’t have too anymore. Trust me there are other people on this board that see right through your excuses and constantly moving targets, but I’m the one that calls you out on it, so here we are. What do you mean about bringing in one to sit? The sit rule has been waived for this year

Bill- I don’t think anyone has debated Oglesbe was a solid get

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 04-24-2021 10:00 AM

I wasn’t responding to anyone Hoops, just using it as an expression. Just absolutely love his shot presentation and the efficiency and speed that he does it. The kid gets the importance of this which is awesome. Great shooters don’t have much time to get it off. That is a skill my friends.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Gary Miller - 04-24-2021 10:00 AM

I keep up with the portal and there are still plenty of options. Of course there is a demand, but it should absolutely be a priority to land someone that can play a true 5. Jack Hemphill and Tahirou Diabite are guys we were linked to early in the portal process that still haven't committed. Emmanuel Dowuona is in there as well, Siddle was lead recruiter for his brother to state. Also, the influx of portal guys will lead to JUCO and 2021 kids that haven't signed being overlooked. If you strike out with the portal go there, no excuses on not adding size.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 04-24-2021 10:20 AM

(04-24-2021 08:47 AM)82hawk Wrote:  
(04-24-2021 07:47 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(04-24-2021 05:40 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Good size that can play immediately is a matter of supply and demand, and the demand is extemely high.

Looking at the portal for power forwards, most of them are four stars and are already signed.

An interesting player available is a 7 footer from EZU, Edra Luster. But we know how that went last time UNCW took on an EZU transfer. And there's a 6'11" guy from UConn, and that's about it.

We have to look at DII and JUCO to have a chance. Right now, we'd have to pull a four star transfer with who's available as a big man in the DI portal.

Wait a minute, you guys have been telling me “there are 1500” guys in the portal, now you are t’eeing up an excuse? He needs to get size with the last two , period if not it’s on him. We can’t get demolished on the boards and expect to win regardless of style and press

"You guys" haven't been saying anything. Yes, there are 1400 guys in the portal. You seem to have a difficult time understanding the difference between reality and an excuse. Take a look at the transfer portal yourself, it's not private. The facts are right there for all to see. There is plenty of time, but landing big men isn't just a matter of wanting them. Every decent big man will be sitting on multiple offers from high level schools. We still have two spots available, and whoever we get will get immediate playing time. Siddle may have to make a tough decision if he can get a big man that has to sit a year. Does he pass and hope he can land two big men than can play this year, or does he use a scholarship to lock down a future player?

That's reality.

Not buying that at all. There is size available in the portal and roster construction is his responsibility. If we don’t add size, it’s an indication it’s not a priority.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 04-24-2021 11:40 AM

If I were a big man, and saw Cacock's numbers under this system in his sophomore year (and where he is now) I would be favorably disposed toward UNCW right now.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 04-24-2021 12:31 PM

(04-24-2021 11:40 AM)70shawk Wrote:  If I were a big man, and saw Cacock's numbers under this system in his sophomore year (and where he is now) I would be favorably disposed toward UNCW right now.

That's true 70s. He certainly thrived in that system.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 04-24-2021 12:33 PM

(04-24-2021 10:00 AM)Gary Miller Wrote:  I keep up with the portal and there are still plenty of options. Of course there is a demand, but it should absolutely be a priority to land someone that can play a true 5. Jack Hemphill and Tahirou Diabite are guys we were linked to early in the portal process that still haven't committed. Emmanuel Dowuona is in there as well, Siddle was lead recruiter for his brother to state. Also, the influx of portal guys will lead to JUCO and 2021 kids that haven't signed being overlooked. If you strike out with the portal go there, no excuses on not adding size.

Have to believe it is a priority, no reason to believe otherwise. When I look at the portal, I go to 24/7 sports. Is there a better datatbase, because I don't see Hemphill or Diabite.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 04-24-2021 12:57 PM

Verbal commits has a good site.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 04-24-2021 02:38 PM

(04-24-2021 11:40 AM)70shawk Wrote:  If I were a big man, and saw Cacock's numbers under this system in his sophomore year (and where he is now) I would be favorably disposed toward UNCW right now.

You would think so but there are not many players out there these days that see rebounding and sitting picks as something that seems like fun. Gotta have at least one guy on the court that can bang and finish on defense which is rebounding missed shots and most shots are missed so there is plenty of opportunity .

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 04-24-2021 06:39 PM

Good point Jumpin.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 04-25-2021 09:39 AM

(04-24-2021 02:38 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  

You would think so but there are not many players out there these days that see rebounding and sitting picks as something that seems like fun. Gotta have at least one guy on the court that can bang and finish on defense which is rebounding missed shots and most shots are missed so there is plenty of opportunity .

It's a valid point, for sure, but kid is playing for the Lakers. It shouldn't be a hard sell to explain how the system can work for them.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 04-25-2021 10:38 AM

(04-25-2021 09:39 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  

It's a valid point, for sure, but kid is playing for the Lakers. It shouldn't be a hard sell to explain how the system can work for them.
He did all the work himself and it had little to nothing to do with Keatts or McGrath. His work in the weight room and drive to rebound and run the court are not something that is easy to sell to players. The majority of these kids think they are going to play in the NBA-just the way it is. When they get to college it all changes.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 04-25-2021 11:09 AM

(04-25-2021 10:38 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  

He did all the work himself and it had little to nothing to do with Keatts or McGrath. His work in the weight room and drive to rebound and run the court are not something that is easy to sell to players. The majority of these kids think they are going to play in the NBA-just the way it is. When they get to college it all changes.

Don't they all do the work themselves? Isn't that why you want 5 stars instead if 2 stars if you're Duke and Carolina? I'd argue Keatts had a lot to dow with Cacok. That high pick and roll that was his bread and butter move came under Keatts, then disappeared under McGrath. That's coaching, and I don't know I've ever seen a player utilize it as well as Cacok.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 04-25-2021 11:28 AM

(04-25-2021 11:09 AM)82hawk Wrote:  

Don't they all do the work themselves? Isn't that why you want 5 stars instead if 2 stars if you're Duke and Carolina? I'd argue Keatts had a lot to dow with Cacok. That high pick and roll that was his bread and butter move came under Keatts, then disappeared under McGrath. That's coaching, and I don't know I've ever seen a player utilize it as well as Cacok.
You can argue whatever you want but in this particular case you are dead ass wrong .
He averaged more shots and more points his last 2 years and some of those were actual shots and not just a lob dunk or put back dunk,uou don't shoot 80% from the field by taking shots but only by dunking the ball. If anything he benefited more playing under McGrath than Keatts. Keatts has no interest inusing a big man in the flow of an offense and that is pretty damn obvious at State as it was at UNCW. Developing big men is not his thing.

Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 04-25-2021 01:45 PM

Interesting point about the pick and rolls 82, CB used them and actually got something out of Dodd, Siddle did not

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 04-25-2021 03:27 PM

(04-25-2021 11:28 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(04-24-2021 02:38 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  You would think so but there are not many players out there these days that see rebounding and sitting picks as something that seems like fun. Gotta have at least one guy on the court that can bang and finish on defense which is rebounding missed shots and most shots are missed so there is plenty of opportunity .

You can argue whatever you want but in this particular case you are dead ass wrong .
He averaged more shots and more points his last 2 years and some of those were actual shots and not just a lob dunk or put back dunk,uou don't shoot 80% from the field by taking shots but only by dunking the ball. If anything he benefited more playing under McGrath than Keatts. Keatts has no interest inusing a big man in the flow of an offense and that is pretty damn obvious at State as it was at UNCW. Developing big men is not his thing.

Yeah, ok. Have you watched Cacok in the NBA? The high pick and roll is stilll his go to. I don't see anything he learned under McGrath being used. If you can shoot 80% by dominating the boards, dunking the ball and putbacks, why in the world would you spend your time on shots you hit at 30%? Let the guys with deadly jumpers take jumpers. Do what you're good at. Plus, you're not going to "develop" a post player into being a jump shooter. That's something they either have or they don't when they get to college, and it's something a coach in college doesn't have time to teach to a big man. If you want a big man with a jumper, recruit one. If you want a big man to pound the boards and defend, there are more of those than the ones who can hit jumpers. It's really not complicated.

And I guess it's only Cacok who "did it all himself", while I guess every other player was only good due to their coach.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - jumpinmullet - 04-25-2021 03:53 PM

(04-25-2021 03:27 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(04-25-2021 11:28 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(04-25-2021 09:39 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  It's a valid point, for sure, but kid is playing for the Lakers. It shouldn't be a hard sell to explain how the system can work for them.

Yeah, ok. Have you watched Cacok in the NBA? The high pick and roll is stilll his go to. I don't see anything he learned under McGrath being used. If you can shoot 80% by dominating the boards, dunking the ball and putbacks, why in the world would you spend your time on shots you hit at 30%? Let the guys with deadly jumpers take jumpers. Do what you're good at. Plus, you're not going to "develop" a post player into being a jump shooter. That's something they either have or they don't when they get to college, and it's something a coach in college doesn't have time to teach to a big man. If you want a big man with a jumper, recruit one. If you want a big man to pound the boards and defend, there are more of those than the ones who can hit jumpers. It's really not complicated.

And I guess it's only Cacok who "did it all himself", while I guess every other player was only good due to their coach.

I have watched him in the NBA and he still has no skills and that is why he sits the bench. There is no go to pick and roll dunk play in the NBA that works for a 6-7 guy playing the 4 spot. He put on 40 pounds of muscle and rebounds the ball,that is what he is selling at this point. If he is ever going to play minutes in the NBA he going to have to develop some sort of offensive game that includes shooting the ball. In spite of what you might think about it players can and do learn how to take shots they can make. I would be willing to bet he is spending a huge amount of time shooting jump shots because he will have to make shots to get playing time.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Gary Miller - 04-25-2021 04:22 PM

Can y'all take this conversation somewhere else, maybe the OT thread. A thread that is supposed to be about recruits now has a troll saying Cacok has no skills. Absolutely pathetic discourse.