CSNbbs
Basketball Recruit Updates - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Basketball Recruit Updates (/thread-727343.html)

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 03-26-2021 07:45 PM

Seems like he is a replacement for Boggs/Pridgen at the 4. He can rotate with Sims. Was second on the team in offensive rebounds playing 26.8 minutes. Played every game as a senior. Looks like a player we can really use.

I expect two big men to fill the last two scholarships.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Gary Miller - 03-26-2021 07:53 PM

(03-26-2021 07:45 PM)82hawk Wrote:  Seems like he is a replacement for Boggs/Pridgen at the 4. He can rotate with Sims. Was second on the team in offensive rebounds playing 26.8 minutes. Played every game as a senior. Looks like a player we can really use.

I believe this puts us at 10 filled scholarships. 3 open

Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 03-26-2021 07:54 PM

(03-26-2021 07:45 PM)82hawk Wrote:  Seems like he is a replacement for Boggs/Pridgen at the 4. He can rotate with Sims. Was second on the team in offensive rebounds playing 26.8 minutes. Played every game as a senior. Looks like a player we can really use.

So are you ok with this pickup? Curious because in your attempt to minimize the loss of Joe P you were beating the drum of him not being able to shoot outside, this guys numbers are significantly worse from there.

I do like his rebounding ability, but even that isn’t as good as Joe. Basically , he’s a poor mans Joe P at best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 03-26-2021 07:58 PM

His team out rebounded almost every team so it was hard to get a board it seems. Good athlete it looks like that was caught up in the numbers on a good team. This does give some experience at 4. Hope he can defend.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Gary Miller - 03-26-2021 08:10 PM

(03-26-2021 07:58 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  His team out rebounded almost every team so it was hard to get a board it seems. Good athlete it looks like that was caught up in the numbers on a good team. This does give some experience at 4. Hope he can defend.

I noticed that too. The 5 that played in the frontcourt with him averaged 9 per game

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Osprey#1 - 03-26-2021 08:12 PM

I understand that we need to add some size to the roster for next year. But I haven't seen much discussion about shooters. 3-pt shooting is important in the kind of game Siddle wants to play and Gadsden and Boggs departure removes 45% of our made 3 pointers overall and 48% of 3-pointers made during conference play. Those two were among our highest 3-pt percentage shooters as well: Ty .337 overall, .362 conf; Boggs .439 overall, .406 conf. Only Harvey showed similar consistency (.360 overall, .412 conf). In contrast Sims was .382 overall, but only .143 in conference and Okauru .313 overall and .270 in conference. Don't we need to recruit some outside shooters?

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 03-26-2021 08:43 PM

(03-26-2021 07:54 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

So are you ok with this pickup? Curious because in your attempt to minimize the loss of Joe P you were beating the drum of him not being able to shoot outside, this guys numbers are significantly worse from there.

I do like his rebounding ability, but even that isn’t as good as Joe. Basically , he’s a poor mans Joe P at best

Brings different skills to the team. He's more of a shot blocker and rebounder. He actually led the OVC in blocked shots during conference play as a sophomore. More of a long, athletic player. I don't see him as an ideal 4 in a Siddle system, but it's obvious that's where he will play. He also played PG at one point in his career, so probably has good handles.

6'6', shot blocker and offensive rebounder shooting close to 50% from the field, good handles. Seems like an ideal fit for a Siddle system. And we have no idea how he will be under Siddle compared to Pridgen or Boggs. Brings experience as a grad transfer as well.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 03-26-2021 09:14 PM

Feel ya Osprey #1, Estime and Sims are the guys right now that are pretty solid from 3. Mike is okay as well but none have been drop dead 40 percent guys to date . Perhaps the freshman that played his final year at Myrtle Beach can be the guy, certainly eventually. I think that the vets are about ready for upper 30’s at high participation. Let’s see. The 2 Pg need to get a ton of Quality reps in starting yesterday. Good shooting is form and repetition plain and simple.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawk2010 - 03-26-2021 09:55 PM

(03-26-2021 08:12 PM)Osprey#1 Wrote:  I understand that we need to add some size to the roster for next year. But I haven't seen much discussion about shooters. 3-pt shooting is important in the kind of game Siddle wants to play and Gadsden and Boggs departure removes 45% of our made 3 pointers overall and 48% of 3-pointers made during conference play. Those two were among our highest 3-pt percentage1 shooters as well: Ty .337 overall, .362 conf; Boggs .439 overall, .406 conf. Only Harvey showed similar consistency (.360 overall, .412 conf). In contrast Sims was .382 overall, but only .143 in conference and Okauru .313 overall and .270 in conference. Don't we need to recruit some outside shooters?

Are you Bill Jr?

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 03-26-2021 10:40 PM

Not sure what that means 2010? I want some size too! Three point shooting average is about 2 things: getting good shots and getting the right guys shooting those shots. The problem with UNCW last year in the half court is that they didn't really have a guy that was going to break you down and demand help or some cheat and a willingness to sell out to get a guy a shot from the PG position on a drive and kick with the necessary touch and pace. If you're not a good passing team that runs a motion with good ball reversals via the pass to a viable post threat with a big that is willing and able to relocate out, then you better have a PG that can touch the paint and demand some cheating action. That is why UNCW was an easy guard last year in the half court. And, having a killer pick and pop player helps that can also defend and board would help. Getting blown up on a strong hedge is an entirely new thing to deal with when you have a terrific team like a Loyala Chicago that can completely take you out then recover, but that's a rarity. For me, I like to see an offense that can move the ball via the pass well with prudent ball reversals (need a 0.5 second clock in head on the catch to determine what you do next kind of thing) and then differ to high pick and roll at the end of the clock, but I digress.

With Shy and the talented freshman PG coming in, I see better looks ahead. You still have to knock them down but hero ball off the bounce at the end of the clock that's not a killer driver of the ball without at least FT, doesn't last in half court. Now if Mike or Shy/new PG can get a mid range free or a decent floater up, that's fine. Some of these guys need to use a Euro more to get their floaters free, but that's up to them.

The half court defense has to be vastly better. Hawks were not great on ball defenders as a general rule (Shy gets a pass here as he never was fully there) and were really bad or late at help and simply didn't have the size to defend one on one in the hole especially after a switch, but enough time for them to execute the favorable situation. That's a problem that we have to solve. I don't care how fast you play, you have to be able to defend in the half court and then rebound the ball. Defense is key you can't trade. They really need a shot blocker at the back end with true size. Good teams get a lead and keep it with good defense. You simply cannot trade period. This team showed flashes of decent half court defense this past year even undersized, but it didn't matter because we couldn't get the board so it didn't matter.

Getting 2 more bigs that can post defend, potentially block shots and rebound is vital especially if they have the numbers to actually press. I prefer more of a 2/2/1 to slow down the other team and then guard your yard.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 03-27-2021 04:13 AM

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Arkansas-Temple-Stony-Brook-Cam-Holden--161755527/

"UT-Martin junior Cameron Holden has been hearing from tons of schools since entering the transfer portal. This season Holden averaged 14.9 points and 8.3 rebounds per game while shooting 41% from the field. The 6-foot-5 junior has heard from UNLV, Arkansas, Loyola, Chicago, UC Riverside, Grambling State,Temple, Sam Houston State UNC Wilmington, JMU, Stony Brook, Robert Morris, UNCG, Bryant, Southern Illinois, Valparaiso, UAB, Mercer, and Wagner so far."

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Osprey#1 - 03-27-2021 06:26 AM

(03-26-2021 09:55 PM)Seahawk2010 Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 08:12 PM)Osprey#1 Wrote:  I understand that we need to add some size to the roster for next year. But I haven't seen much discussion about shooters. 3-pt shooting is important in the kind of game Siddle wants to play and Gadsden and Boggs departure removes 45% of our made 3 pointers overall and 48% of 3-pointers made during conference play. Those two were among our highest 3-pt percentage1 shooters as well: Ty .337 overall, .362 conf; Boggs .439 overall, .406 conf. Only Harvey showed similar consistency (.360 overall, .412 conf). In contrast Sims was .382 overall, but only .143 in conference and Okauru .313 overall and .270 in conference. Don't we need to recruit some outside shooters?

Are you Bill Jr?

Not sure what that means. I am just pointing out that the loss of Boggs and Gadsden creates additional problems for recruiting. I think we have a lot of holes to fill. Size is still the most critical, but we have a lot of work to do. Hope for some more good news from the transfer portal soon!

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawk2010 - 03-27-2021 06:58 AM

(03-27-2021 06:26 AM)Osprey#1 Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 09:55 PM)Seahawk2010 Wrote:  

Are you Bill Jr?

Not sure what that means. I am just pointing out that the loss of Boggs and Gadsden creates additional problems for recruiting. I think we have a lot of holes to fill. Size is still the most critical, but we have a lot of work to do. Hope for some more good news from the transfer portal soon!

Just joking around. Bill usually types long posts without any paragraphs or much spacing.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 03-27-2021 07:12 AM

(03-27-2021 04:13 AM)82hawk Wrote:  https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Arkansas-Temple-Stony-Brook-Cam-Holden--161755527/

"UT-Martin junior Cameron Holden has been hearing from tons of schools since entering the transfer portal. This season Holden averaged 14.9 points and 8.3 rebounds per game while shooting 41% from the field. The 6-foot-5 junior has heard from UNLV, Arkansas, Loyola, Chicago, UC Riverside, Grambling State,Temple, Sam Houston State UNC Wilmington, JMU, Stony Brook, Robert Morris, UNCG, Bryant, Southern Illinois, Valparaiso, UAB, Mercer, and Wagner so far."
Some decent names in there. Recognize you can't wait, but if we were going to sign yet another swing, this would have been the prize over the guy we signed yesterday.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 03-27-2021 09:18 AM

4 paragraphs is not okay?

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawk2010 - 03-27-2021 10:53 AM

(03-27-2021 09:18 AM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  4 paragraphs is not okay?

It’s fine! I was just joking around. All good.

Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 03-27-2021 12:30 PM

(03-27-2021 09:18 AM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  4 paragraphs is not okay?

Nope, 3 or less :)

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 03-27-2021 04:07 PM

(03-27-2021 07:12 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(03-27-2021 04:13 AM)82hawk Wrote:  https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Arkansas-Temple-Stony-Brook-Cam-Holden--161755527/

Some decent names in there. Recognize you can't wait, but if we were going to sign yet another swing, this would have been the prize over the guy we signed yesterday.

We may have offered early, but he's getting some big time interest. I think Arkansas is where he will land. Do like to see us getting our name out there in the mix.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Osprey#1 - 03-28-2021 06:32 AM

No worries 2010--I'll keep it short!

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 70shawk - 03-28-2021 07:28 PM

You know what jumped out at me in this paragraph?

UNCG is "UNCG", while UNCW is "UNC Wilmington".

For that matter, note the variance in how other "hyphenated" schools are treated. UNLV and UAB, like UNCG are referred to one way. "UT-Martin", "UC Riverside", and "UNC Wilmington" are referred to in a different way.

Do you suspect that anyone in our Sports Information Department - or anywhere else in the school - will be on the phone to the author to point out that he should refer to us in the same manner as he did UNCG? They would if it were a priority.

Sigh....