CSNbbs
Basketball Recruit Updates - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Basketball Recruit Updates (/thread-727343.html)

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 03-19-2021 03:52 AM

One thing for sure, Siddle is well aware of the need to bring in some big men. Every target I see fits that need. He's on it, but now we need the commits. Great thing is that recruiting should be back to normal, with in person visits and the opportunity to connect with the player and the family. Zoom meetings just don't cut it.

Knowing we have McGriff in the pipeline, it will take off a lot of pressure when we see the first big man transfer commit. Really want to see a strong rebounder and defender more than anything. I know we see the portal as a way for the bigger schools to cherry pick, but I still think it can go the other way. If you aren't playing, being on a P6 squad means nothing. And quite honestly, i've seen more top level players transfer into the CAA and have a big impact then i've seen leave and have a big impact. Especially big men.

Basketball Recruit Updates - B_Hawk06 - 03-19-2021 02:33 PM

(03-19-2021 03:52 AM)82hawk Wrote:  And quite honestly, i've seen more top level players transfer into the CAA and have a big impact then i've seen leave and have a big impact. Especially big men.

Bold statement. Is there real data to support that or just a gut feeling kind of post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 03-19-2021 05:35 PM

(03-19-2021 02:33 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 03:52 AM)82hawk Wrote:  And quite honestly, i've seen more top level players transfer into the CAA and have a big impact then i've seen leave and have a big impact. Especially big men.

Bold statement. Is there real data to support that or just a gut feeling kind of post?

Towson feasts off big men transferring in. Dylan Painter at Delaware this year. I can't think of all the names off the top of my head, but I recall them coming into the CAA and contributing pretty quickly. I can only think of a few players from the CAA who've gone P6 and really thrived.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawk2010 - 03-19-2021 06:53 PM

(03-19-2021 05:35 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 02:33 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  

Towson feasts off big men transferring in. Dylan Painter at Delaware this year. I can't think of all the names off the top of my head, but I recall them coming into the CAA and contributing pretty quickly. I can only think of a few players from the CAA who've gone P6 and really thrived.

Agree 82Hawk it can and will go both ways moving forward. Guys want to play first and foremost.

Isaac Kante from Hofstra transferred from Georgia. He was solid on their championship team last year.

Mid Major conferences can thrive on P6 transfers. Big man DJ Burns from Winthrop transferred from Tennessee. He is dominant and is a vital player on their team. Can’t wait to watch him tonight vs Villanova.

This could be key with Siddle having recruited at NC State. Find some guys who aren’t seeing the minutes they thought and aren’t happy in their current situation. I believe he mentioned something to that affect in a coach’s show the other month.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - billthebighawksfan - 03-19-2021 10:11 PM

You put the work in early and maybe something happens on the back end. The kid at Florida State and the kid at NC State are 2 guys that Siddle was in early on but lost to them but they haven't played much. Things like that will eventually pay off. Siddle has only been here 1 year. Let's give the young coach a few years! That's what it takes. You're seeing it in the tournament.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Big Alpha Hawk - 03-20-2021 02:43 PM

Two players we had offered that were going to Louisville have rescinded their committments and re opened their recruitment. Not sure if we have a shot but it is a possibility. Also wouldn't be surprised if a couple freshmen from NC State might decide to transfer

Basketball Recruit Updates - B_Hawk06 - 03-20-2021 04:00 PM

To be honest, I’d rather stay away from the NCSU leftovers. We already swung and missed on one of those.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Big Alpha Hawk - 03-20-2021 04:50 PM

^
OK Ill let Siddle know you might not approve

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 03-20-2021 05:06 PM

(03-20-2021 04:00 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  To be honest, I’d rather stay away from the NCSU leftovers. We already swung and missed on one of those.

Makes perfect sense. We need to avoid recruiting any players who were recruited to play the exact style of play we want, from a coach who had three of the best seasons in the history of UNCW basketball.

Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 03-20-2021 07:32 PM

(03-20-2021 05:06 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(03-20-2021 04:00 PM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  To be honest, I’d rather stay away from the NCSU leftovers. We already swung and missed on one of those.

Makes perfect sense. We need to avoid recruiting any players who were recruited to play the exact style of play we want, from a coach who had three of the best seasons in the history of UNCW basketball.

0-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 03-20-2021 09:04 PM

(03-20-2021 07:32 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

0-1

Guys, don’t dig in on this hill. Nobody here would say no to Funderburke coming as a grad transfer, or to Dowuona. If we can leverage the Keatts connection, we’d be foolish not to.

Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 03-20-2021 09:09 PM

(03-20-2021 09:04 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(03-20-2021 07:32 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

0-1

Guys, don’t dig in on this hill. Nobody here would say no to Funderburke coming as a grad transfer, or to Dowuona. If we can leverage the Keatts connection, we’d be foolish not to.

At this point I don’t care where he gets bigs from as long as he gets them. But the Steere decision should count as about 0-5. That was very easy to predict. Hopefully if we get anyone with a state connection it’s not someone with 75 red flags

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 03-21-2021 10:16 AM

I think I saw this referenced on another thread, but I didn't see the names of the players that Louisville released from their LOI. I know that we were involved with Bobby Pettiford from Creedmoor; he's a is a true PG and would be great here. I'm not familiar with Eric Van der Heijden; a 6'9" forward that can shoot is a pretty good athlete. I don't recall if we were involved with him at all.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Gary Miller - 03-21-2021 11:48 AM

(03-21-2021 10:16 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  I think I saw this referenced on another thread, but I didn't see the names of the players that Louisville released from their LOI. I know that we were involved with Bobby Pettiford from Creedmoor; he's a is a true PG and would be great here. I'm not familiar with Eric Van der Heijden; a 6'9" forward that can shoot is a pretty good athlete. I don't recall if we were involved with him at all.

Siddle offered both shortly after he took the job last spring.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - 82hawk - 03-21-2021 12:05 PM

One of the biggest hurdles for Siddle coming in was that he had been recruiting and connecting with players at the ACC level, not the CAA level. Not many of them were going to look at UNCW seriously, and with Covid his ability to develop new recruiting connections was shut down completely. Taking a shot at these high level recruits is fun, but I don't recall us really seeing them come on the team.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - bricksnivy - 03-21-2021 12:48 PM

(03-21-2021 12:05 PM)82hawk Wrote:  One of the biggest hurdles for Siddle coming in was that he had been recruiting and connecting with players at the ACC level, not the CAA level. Not many of them were going to look at UNCW seriously, and with Covid his ability to develop new recruiting connections was shut down completely. Taking a shot at these high level recruits is fun, but I don't recall us really seeing them come on the team.

Neither seem to be unrealistic IMO. One is an undersized guard, and the second isn’t a top 100 player. There are plenty of fringe ACC players that would that would prefer the opportunity to start and play big minutes rather than accept a role. I’m not counting on either, but I’d think we’ll be in touch.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Gary Miller - 03-21-2021 12:48 PM

(03-21-2021 12:05 PM)82hawk Wrote:  One of the biggest hurdles for Siddle coming in was that he had been recruiting and connecting with players at the ACC level, not the CAA level. Not many of them were going to look at UNCW seriously, and with Covid his ability to develop new recruiting connections was shut down completely. Taking a shot at these high level recruits is fun, but I don't recall us really seeing them come on the team.

No, but he's going after these guys early before they start getting P5 offers. I don't think he prioritizes them after they get P5 interest. I don't see either of these guys as targets for us now nor do I see the Mading kid as one. Ezuma is the only high school kid I think we'll go after during the late signing period. The rest will be transfers.

As for his connections, Siddle and Sanders are in good standing with most of the high school/AAU coaches in our region. Most AAU programs have kids that will go on to the High Major level and Mid Major level, I don't think he necessarily needs to develop new connections.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Gary Miller - 03-21-2021 12:51 PM

(03-21-2021 12:48 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  

Neither seem to be unrealistic IMO. One is an undersized guard, and the second isn’t a top 100 player. There are plenty of fringe ACC players that would that would prefer the opportunity to start and play big minutes rather than accept a role. I’m not counting on either, but I’d think we’ll be in touch.

Pettiford could be an option, but some P5 program will take a swing on the upside of van der Heijden.

Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 03-21-2021 07:21 PM

(03-21-2021 12:48 PM)Gary Miller Wrote:  

No, but he's going after these guys early before they start getting P5 offers. I don't think he prioritizes them after they get P5 interest. I don't see either of these guys as targets for us now nor do I see the Mading kid as one. Ezuma is the only high school kid I think we'll go after during the late signing period. The rest will be transfers.

As for his connections, Siddle and Sanders are in good standing with most of the high school/AAU coaches in our region. Most AAU programs have kids that will go on to the High Major level and Mid Major level, I don't think he necessarily needs to develop new connections.

I would think some of those connections he had the first time here would play too.

RE: Basketball Recruit Updates - Seahawkhoops - 03-22-2021 08:20 AM

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/uncw

Are their offers that Verbal is missing? If not there is a HUGE imbalance between PG offers and anyone with any size.