CSNbbs
More SBC baseball preview - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: More SBC baseball preview (/thread-724803.html)

Pages: 1 2

More SBC baseball preview - Atlanta Trojan - 01-27-2015 01:31 PM

http://www.d1baseball.com/prospects/2015sunbeltpreview/

RE: More SBC baseball preview - Georgia_Power_Company - 01-27-2015 01:35 PM

Good stuff!

RE: More SBC baseball preview - NCeagle - 01-27-2015 04:39 PM

I love that GS is having a good bball season so far, but man I can't wait for baseball.

RE: More SBC baseball preview - Bobcat87 - 01-27-2015 08:01 PM

We had a bit of a down season last year, am curious to see how we handle our second year in the Belt . . . No doubt it is an absolute tough Baseball Conference . .

RE: More SBC baseball preview - CatMom - 01-27-2015 08:05 PM

I find it amusing that these sites make no mention of Colby Targun. He played RF last year. A bit down at the plate but he has a 3 yr BA of .285; even with a bad season in 2014.

RE: More SBC baseball preview - Atlanta Trojan - 01-27-2015 08:22 PM

I think ULL will struggle more than these sites tell... They lost A LOT... They might not be bad, but I don't think they win the league. The SBC was a top 4 conference just 2 years ago, it's tough to win it back to back years... I don't think that has ever happened?

Usa and Troy will likely make a surge back to the top I think.

RE: More SBC baseball preview - _x_ - 01-27-2015 08:25 PM

Yeah I noticed that too. Sanchez needs to improve at the plate or I'll take my chances with Geisler in CF, Studdard in LF, and Targun in RF. Sanchez is an asset defensively at CF though. If he can get his bat going in his sophomore year it may be more challenging to get Targun in the regular lineup.

Targun also played quite a bit at 2B as a sophomore also, with 3 projected freshman in our starting infield it's not out of the realm of possibilities Targun sees time in the infield this year. Nice to have a utility guy like him.

RE: More SBC baseball preview - Georgia_Power_Company - 01-27-2015 08:27 PM

I think where GS might struggle is pitching. We lost our top two last year to the draft.

RE: More SBC baseball preview - Louisiana99 - 01-27-2015 08:35 PM

(01-27-2015 08:22 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  I think ULL will struggle more than these sites tell... They lost A LOT... They might not be bad, but I don't think they win the league. The SBC was a top 4 conference just 2 years ago, it's tough to win it back to back years... I don't think that has ever happened?

I don't think we win it either, too much to replace

RE: More SBC baseball preview - CatMom - 01-27-2015 08:36 PM

(01-27-2015 08:25 PM)_x_ Wrote:  Yeah I noticed that too. Sanchez needs to improve at the plate or I'll take my chances with Geisler in CF, Studdard in LF, and Targun in RF. Sanchez is an asset defensively at CF though. If he can get his bat going in his sophomore year it may be more challenging to get Targun in the regular lineup.

Targun also played quite a bit at 2B as a sophomore also, with 3 projected freshman in our starting infield it's not out of the realm of possibilities Targun sees time in the infield this year. Nice to have a utility guy like him.
Targun came in as strictly an infielder, mainly 2B. Scouting report on him was he didn't have the arm strength to play OF. You have to assume the S&C of football built that up over the past 4 years and allowed him to hold RF last year.
You have to have arm strength to play Safety and tackle properly. He was 4th in TT this year. (Mayo, McGowen, Odiari, Targun)

RE: More SBC baseball preview - geauxcajuns - 01-27-2015 08:37 PM

(01-27-2015 08:22 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  I think ULL will struggle more than these sites tell... They lost A LOT... They might not be bad, but I don't think they win the league. The SBC was a top 4 conference just 2 years ago, it's tough to win it back to back years... I don't think that has ever happened?

We did lose quite a bit, but we were loaded last season and we had tremendous depth. That will be showcased this year. We won't win 50 games, but we will win over 40.

RE: More SBC baseball preview - Bobcat87 - 01-27-2015 08:46 PM

(01-27-2015 08:05 PM)CatMom Wrote:  I find it amusing that these sites make no mention of Colby Targun. He played RF last year. A bit down at the plate but he has a 3 yr BA of .285; even with a bad season in 2014.

They're dead on about Studdard, He should have a huge year .... . . Saw him in H S, in the playoffs, impressive even then .....

RE: More SBC baseball preview - _x_ - 01-27-2015 08:48 PM

(01-27-2015 08:36 PM)CatMom Wrote:  Targun came in as strictly an infielder, mainly 2B. Scouting report on him was he didn't have the arm strength to play OF. You have to assume the S&C of football built that up over the past 4 years and allowed him to hold RF last year.
You have to have arm strength to play Safety and tackle properly. He was 4th in TT this year. (Mayo, McGowen, Odiari, Targun)

Targun .242/.317/.352
Studdard .270/.364/.385
Geisler .293/.358/.360

If he gets outperformed by the younger guys again he may not have a spot available in the outfield other than to rest a guy, arm strength or not.

RE: More SBC baseball preview - CajunExpress - 01-27-2015 09:20 PM

Not so sure that Louisiana wins the tournament, anything can happen in a short tournament, remember the awful Warhawks a few seasons back. Still I think the Cajuns are at least a 70% chance of winning the regular season, and a 90% chance of finishing in the top three.

RE: More SBC baseball preview - chiefsfan - 01-27-2015 09:31 PM

With Arkansas State, it's all going to come down to our pitching staff. If David Owen and Brian Ayers stay healthy and pitch to their capability, watch out. That didn't happen last year, we need it to happen this year.

That and we have to solve our 3rd starter dilemma so Tyler Zuber can stay at closer.

RE: More SBC baseball preview - GaSoEagle - 01-27-2015 09:38 PM

For GS it comes down to our pitching.We have a good bit of offense back but our starting pitching is largely unproven. Our number 1 and 2 starters from last year are gone.

RE: More SBC baseball preview - Atlanta Trojan - 01-27-2015 09:41 PM

(01-27-2015 08:37 PM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  

We did lose quite a bit, but we were loaded last season and we had tremendous depth. That will be showcased this year. We won't win 50 games, but we will win over 40.

I think you will have a season much like you had 2 years ago in which you finished 3rd in the league. But still won around 40 games.

SBC sent 4 teams to regionals that year.

RE: More SBC baseball preview - Atlanta Trojan - 01-27-2015 09:50 PM

2015 should be a very good year for Troy

However, 2016 we are gonna be LOADED! Like ULL 2014 loaded.

RE: More SBC baseball preview - chiefsfan - 01-27-2015 09:52 PM

(01-27-2015 09:38 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  For GS it comes down to our pitching.We have a good bit of offense back but our starting pitching is largely unproven. Our number 1 and 2 starters from last year are gone.

Yeah, our entire offense is back minus our shortstop.

RE: More SBC baseball preview - _x_ - 01-27-2015 11:02 PM

Just looked at our roster:
7 seniors
8 juniors
9 sophomores
18 freshman

We are young.