CSNbbs
USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... (/thread-719293.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - Bear - 12-16-2014 08:51 PM

It's not going to happen any time soon. The article references UCF (due to the Bulls recent performance their reference is relegated)

http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/four-reasons-ucf-will-not-join-the-big-12/

Cincinnati and UCONN have the best chance; just from sheer value. The rest of the AAC will be here for awhile.

(sorry if this has been posted already)

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - Ramen_Tiger - 12-16-2014 08:54 PM

Memphis isn't worried

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - Kruciff - 12-16-2014 08:58 PM

(12-16-2014 08:51 PM)Bear Wrote:  It's not going to happen any time soon. The article references UCF (due to the Bulls recent performance their reference is relegated)

http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/four-reasons-ucf-will-not-join-the-big-12/

Cincinnati and UCONN have the best chance; just from sheer value. The rest of the AAC will be here for awhile.

(sorry if this has been posted already)

Oh thank god! I was really worried after Rutgers and Maryland were swooped up by the Big 10 with hardly a whisper beforehand.

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - Ramen_Tiger - 12-16-2014 09:11 PM

I use to think UCF was a prime expansion candidate but that talk seems to have died down. What happen? I thought the Big 12 was looking to get into the Florida market. They don't look interested any more.

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - USFRamenu - 12-16-2014 09:21 PM

(12-16-2014 09:11 PM)Ramen_Tiger Wrote:  I use to think UCF was a prime expansion candidate but that talk seems to have died down. What happen? I thought the Big 12 was looking to get into the Florida market. They don't look interested any more.

The Big 12 doesn't want to do anything except bow down to Texas. Fox is the group trying to expand into Florida. The Big 12 will resist expansion until Texas leaves or the conference dies. If Texas leaves the conference may die but, as long as they remain status quo; they run the risk of going the way of the Old Big East. It's sad but that's how things are.

I've said it a lot in my lifetime;" Just because someone has money doesn't mean they're smart." They could just be lucky or in short supply of living family members. Inheritance is the original way people became wealthy. 07-coffee3

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - HuskyU - 12-16-2014 09:27 PM

(12-16-2014 09:21 PM)USFRamenu Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 09:11 PM)Ramen_Tiger Wrote:  I use to think UCF was a prime expansion candidate but that talk seems to have died down. What happen? I thought the Big 12 was looking to get into the Florida market. They don't look interested any more.

The Big 12 doesn't want to do anything except bow down to Texas. Fox is the group trying to expand into Florida. The Big 12 will resist expansion until Texas leaves or the conference dies. If Texas leaves the conference may die but, as long as they remain status quo; they run the risk of going the way of the Old Big East. It's sad but that's how things are.

I've said it a lot in my lifetime;" Just because someone has money doesn't mean they're smart." They could just be lucky or in short supply of living family members. Inheritance is the original way people became wealthy. 07-coffee3

Did someone just summon "Quo"....?

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - USFRamenu - 12-16-2014 09:28 PM

(12-16-2014 09:27 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  

God I hope not. 05-nono

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - otown - 12-16-2014 09:45 PM

The problem with this article is that it set the bar so damn high, that no G5 school would ever be an option in the author's eye. In fact, 80 percent of the P5 schools would not be worthy either. LAME attempt.

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - BigEastHomer - 12-16-2014 09:53 PM

(12-16-2014 09:27 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  

My thoughts exactly. lol.

There is a conference expansion board for this.

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - sfink16 - 12-16-2014 09:56 PM

Market location doesn't matter to the B12. The article explains it:

Quote:Another argument in favor of UCF is the fact that it lies in the #19 media market in the country. This would make sense if the Big 12 had its own cable network and was looking to expand its paid subscriber base. But it doesn’t.

And because the Big 12 allows its schools to govern their own third-tier media rights instead of pooling them into a network and distributing the revenue evenly (like the Big Ten, SEC, and Pac-12 do), that effectively nullifies UCF’s argument for using the size of its media market to line the pockets of the other league members.

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - firmbizzle - 12-16-2014 10:02 PM

Nope. Directional schools need not apply.

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - TIGERCITY - 12-16-2014 10:20 PM

(12-16-2014 09:45 PM)otown Wrote:  The problem with this article is that it set the bar so damn high, that no G5 school would ever be an option in the author's eye. In fact, 80 percent of the P5 schools would not be worthy either. LAME attempt.

Maybe that's how high the bar really is. Remember, the jump from G5 to P5 is a pretty high one. As to the comment about unworthy P5s already on board -- well, they're already on board (and don't count.)

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - apex_pirate - 12-16-2014 10:46 PM

(12-16-2014 10:20 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 09:45 PM)otown Wrote:  The problem with this article is that it set the bar so damn high, that no G5 school would ever be an option in the author's eye. In fact, 80 percent of the P5 schools would not be worthy either. LAME attempt.

Maybe that's how high the bar really is. Remember, the jump from G5 to P5 is a pretty high one. As to the comment about unworthy P5s already on board -- well, they're already on board (and don't count.)

Agreed. We should just hope the AAC makes it into whatever new division forms in a few years.

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - fishpro1098 - 12-16-2014 10:57 PM

Louisville was the last G5 to earn a spot in the privileged sector. Look how high that bar is (i.e. you'll need to match what they did as an athletic department and as teams including revenues, attendance, etc...). Maryland and Rutgers go in on the size of the TV set mountain they found themselves sitting on, and only got in because Big Ten Network has a revenue model geared to the kind of expansion they pulled off. In no way were Maryland and Rutgers getting in to the BIG any other way. And Maryland was already P5, to boot.

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - AirRaid - 12-16-2014 11:00 PM

(12-16-2014 10:57 PM)fishpro1098 Wrote:  

Louisville was the last G5 to earn a spot in the privileged sector. Look how high that bar is (i.e. you'll need to match what they did as an athletic department and as teams including revenues, attendance, etc...). Maryland and Rutgers go in on the size of the TV set mountain they found themselves sitting on, and only got in because Big Ten Network has a revenue model geared to the kind of expansion they pulled off. In no way were Maryland and Rutgers getting in to the BIG any other way. And Maryland was already P5, to boot.

Syracuse and Pitt say hi....

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - HoustonRocks - 12-16-2014 11:47 PM

The problem the Big 12 has is the other conferences with the exception of the ACC are going to have much higher revenues in the future.

The B1G just expanded their media exposure by huge numbers.

The SEC network is going to pay much more the the Big 12 receives.

The PAC 12 is distributing their sports to 27 Asian countries at $100 per registration. And, they are working to add China.

What can the Big 12 do?

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - Attackcoog - 12-16-2014 11:50 PM

Somehow TCU went from being worth 1 million a year to 20 million a year. The formula used to determine value must be pretty flexible

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - otown - 12-17-2014 04:58 AM

Well, the bar will be moved in due time. Just waiting for a few years when the other P5 conferences start pulling away monetarily from the b12. We need that gap to become so obvious that the big 12 starts looking like a tweeter conference at least with the money they bring in compared to others. Only then will the longhorn network be shelved in favor of a big12 network. Once that happens, game on.

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - NestaKnight1 - 12-17-2014 05:10 AM

(12-16-2014 10:02 PM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Nope. Directional schools need not apply.

Hey Eienstien, what "direction" is central? Pathetic!

RE: USF and UCF will NOT be invited to the P5 any time soon.... - KnightLight - 12-17-2014 07:42 AM

(12-16-2014 08:51 PM)Bear Wrote:  It's not going to happen any time soon.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Had no idea you can predict what will happen over the next 5-10-20 plus years.

PS. Statement above reminds me of a comment from a well known Memphis poster who said back in late 2002/early 2003 that UCF would NEVER EVER be invited to join Memphis' conf at the time (CUSA), let alone getting a volleyball invite to join CUSA.

Well, we all saw how that turned out (UCF went 8-0 vs Memphis in CUSA play...Memphis never won CUSA East, let alone a CUSA Championship).

Wish more folks would understand this simple concept: Only thing constant with college athletics IS change.

UCF is living proof.