CSNbbs
How college sports cheat student athletes - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: How college sports cheat student athletes (/thread-709773.html)

How college sports cheat student athletes - RangerRocket - 10-27-2014 08:48 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/27/opinion/kohn-college-sports-cheat-student-athletes/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

RE: How college sports cheat student athletes - Boca Rocket - 10-27-2014 11:30 AM

How about the extra 25-30 hours a week put in to maintain a 40 hour a week job? Even at $10/hour straight time thats over $500,000 over a worker's lifetime that some companies get away without paying for work done off the clock. Now that's victimization!

RE: How college sports cheat student athletes - toddjnsn - 10-27-2014 03:26 PM

I disagree with forming unions -- no. I mean, some pseudo-union in terms of brokering for fair practice-time, class-situation, student-stipens, etc -- OK. But it's not a Job.

Just nix the faux-classes. You're not going to stop corrupt stuff by throwing a union in there.

Otherwise, why not have high-school kids who play football or basketball -- get paid?

RE: How college sports cheat student athletes - owen - 10-27-2014 05:08 PM

sounds like the point of that is to either pay athletes, and excuse them from classes permanently

or don't pay them, but create a legitimate opportunity for education and release every student athlete who can't hack it, including the entire Oklahoma athletic program who reportedly can't read above a 4th grade level

RE: How college sports cheat student athletes - MotoRocket - 10-27-2014 07:19 PM

I'm too old fashioned. In a perfect world, I'd like to see all student athletes have to pass an aptitude test in order to play in college or to maintain a scholarship. College isn't for everyone and if someone does not care about getting a good education - then they should not be college. College should not be a developmental league for the NFL and NBA. Give those athletes other means to get to pro sports.

The NCAA is a joke - and university presidents want the money donated as a result of good sport programs. It has to be killing them to see college football coaches raking in the kind of money they do.