CSNbbs
Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown (/thread-709285.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - pesik - 10-23-2014 10:56 AM

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/23/report-smu-floating-4-million-annually-to-entice-mack-brown/related/

i knew SMU had some money but this is crazy!!!

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - Pony94 - 10-23-2014 11:01 AM

Luckily the boosters and administration have seen that it can work at Baylor and TCU

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - No Bull - 10-23-2014 11:03 AM

He is almost 70. He was run out of Texas because he ran the program into the ground... dumb move if true.

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - coogrfan - 10-23-2014 11:03 AM

(10-23-2014 11:01 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  Luckily the boosters and administration have seen that it can work at Baylor and TCU

Baylor and TCU hired old coaches who are simply interested in one last payday?

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - Pony94 - 10-23-2014 11:04 AM

Here are the two front runners

Tom Herman
Ohio State offensive coordinator/QBs
Résumé: Few coordinators can match Herman’s experience, especially considering his he is only 39. Coaching under Urban Meyer has provided him first-hand knowledge of running a big-time program. He is known as a great communicator and strategist. After finishing third nationally in scoring last year, his Buckeyes currently rank ninth in total offense (533.8) despite the loss of injured starting quarterback Braxton Miller. He spent the first 10 years of his coaching career in Texas (Texas Lutheran, Texas, Sam Houston, Texas State and Rice).

Chad Morris
Clemson offensive coordinator
Résumé: Morris one of the most respected and highest paid assistants in the country. He attended Texas A&M and spent 16 years coaching high schools in the state. His up-tempo offenses have played well at Clemson and attracted interest from other schools. He interviewed for the Texas Tech job in 2012, so he has shown interest in returning to Texas as a head coach. Although he has reportedly expressed interest in SMU, he has the luxury —and salary — to be patient until his dream job opens.

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - firmbizzle - 10-23-2014 11:05 AM

Are there only so many people allowed to be head coaches in the state of Texas? Just seems like the same ones rotate from in state institution to in state institution.

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - 3rdWardCoog - 10-23-2014 11:09 AM

My money is on Chad Morris. Would be a home run hire. Take that $4 million and spend it on him and a staff and watch SMU raise back up quick.

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - BearcatMan - 10-23-2014 11:17 AM

Living in Ohio and listening to fans/watching OSU games constantly (not by choice), I can tell you that the OSU fans I know would love for you to take Herman off their hands. That should let you know how bad of a hire that would be...

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - mlb - 10-23-2014 11:25 AM

(10-23-2014 11:17 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Living in Ohio and listening to fans/watching OSU games constantly (not by choice), I can tell you that the OSU fans I know would love for you to take Herman off their hands. That should let you know how bad of a hire that would be...

Really? I've never heard that at all. The only people on the staff that I've heard OSU fans complain about are Fickle and Coombs. My company has OSU season tickets and none of those guys have an issue with their offensive coaches.

Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - b0ndsj0ns - 10-23-2014 11:26 AM

If your willing to pay anywhere near that much then Morris is attainable. No way I'd spend it on Mack.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - Pony94 - 10-23-2014 11:28 AM

@max_olson: For 8 years and $4 mil a year, I bet Charlie Weis would be interested in that SMU job.

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - pesik - 10-23-2014 11:32 AM

(10-23-2014 11:26 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  If your willing to pay anywhere near that much then Morris is attainable. No way I'd spend it on Mack.

they could get morris for 2 million

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - Pony94 - 10-23-2014 11:34 AM

(10-23-2014 11:32 AM)pesik Wrote:  
(10-23-2014 11:26 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  If your willing to pay anywhere near that much then Morris is attainable. No way I'd spend it on Mack.

they could get morris for 2 million

Hopefully the difference goes to staff

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - CyberBull - 10-23-2014 11:36 AM

(10-23-2014 11:04 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  Here are the two front runners

Tom Herman
Résumé: Few coordinators can match Herman’s experience, especially considering his he is only 39. Coaching under Urban Meyer has provided him first-hand knowledge of running a big-time program. He is known as a great communicator and strategist. After finishing third nationally in scoring last year, his Buckeyes currently rank ninth in total offense (533.8) despite the loss of injured starting quarterback Braxton Miller. He spent the first 10 years of his coaching career in Texas (Texas Lutheran, Texas, Sam Houston, Texas State and Rice).

Chad Morris
Résumé: Morris one of the most respected and highest paid assistants in the country. He attended Texas A&M and spent 16 years coaching high schools in the state. His up-tempo offenses have played well at Clemson and attracted interest from other schools. He interviewed for the Texas Tech job in 2012, so he has shown interest in returning to Texas as a head coach. Although he has reportedly expressed interest in SMU, he has the luxury —and salary — to be patient until his dream job opens.

Talk down here is that Chad Morris may be the guy Florida targets to replace Muschamp.

Morris was a hot assistant two years ago when USF was looking for a new coach and his stock has skyrocketed since then. If these rumors are true, then I doubt Morris will seriously consider SMU if he thinks he is in play for one of the Top 10 college football jobs in the country.

The only knock on him two years ago was his lack of experience but that is likely less of a concern. The question for Florida is whether they go the hot assistant route again....or do they make a run at a proven coach who needs a scenery change. See Bob Stoops...who they have flirted with during their last three coaching changes.

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - pesik - 10-23-2014 11:43 AM

(10-23-2014 11:36 AM)CyberBull Wrote:  

Tom Herman

Chad Morris

Talk down here is that Chad Morris may be the guy Florida targets to replace Muschamp.

Morris was a hot assistant two years ago when USF was looking for a new coach and his stock has skyrocketed since then. If these rumors are true, then I doubt Morris will seriously consider SMU if he thinks he is in play for one of the Top 10 college football jobs in the country.

The only knock on him two years ago was his lack of experience but that is likely less of a concern. The question for Florida is whether they go the hot assistant route again....or do they make a run at a proven coach who needs a scenery change. See Bob Stoops...who they have flirted with during their last three coaching changes.

no way florida goes for an assistant, they can get any head coach they want even some within its own conference

morris is a great hire for the rich lower p5 teams and smu...higher up p5 won't hire some with his resume which is 80% high school

and i know chad is aware of that, which is why im certain he'd the job if offered to at the very list build his resume

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - UofMemphis - 10-23-2014 11:43 AM

It's June Jones, Part Deux

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - PirateTreasureNC - 10-23-2014 11:47 AM

Are they hoping the Larry Brown move will work for football? The only issue I'd have is Mack really went downhill at Texas and while a change of scenery might re-energize him, you have to think that all the Texas schools know his tricks by now and they they would still have the advantage in out-recruiting him at SMU w/o that Texas money.

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - ohio1317 - 10-23-2014 11:54 AM

(10-23-2014 11:25 AM)mlb Wrote:  
(10-23-2014 11:17 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Living in Ohio and listening to fans/watching OSU games constantly (not by choice), I can tell you that the OSU fans I know would love for you to take Herman off their hands. That should let you know how bad of a hire that would be...

Really? I've never heard that at all. The only people on the staff that I've heard OSU fans complain about are Fickle and Coombs. My company has OSU season tickets and none of those guys have an issue with their offensive coaches.

Not really someone who follows coaches closely, even for my own primary team, but I haven't heard as much either. Under Meyer, the defense has definitely been the one complained about more (in the Tressel era, it was always the offensive line).

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - pesik - 10-23-2014 11:55 AM

(10-23-2014 11:47 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Are they hoping the Larry Brown move will work for football? The only issue I'd have is Mack really went downhill at Texas and while a change of scenery might re-energize him, you have to think that all the Texas schools know his tricks by now and they they would still have the advantage in out-recruiting him at SMU w/o that Texas money.

i worry about mack as a coach and bringing himself into mdern day football, someone who i think is stuck in old age football

but mack is a name brand in texas, a HUGE brand, he can get a sit down with any major recruit in the state without te texas money..
mack if hired would turn smu into hte best recruiting G5 team...

but i feel they could end up like another usf with his coaching mentatility

RE: Report: SMU ‘floating $4 million annually’ to entice Mack Brown - CyberBull - 10-23-2014 12:02 PM

(10-23-2014 11:43 AM)pesik Wrote:  
(10-23-2014 11:36 AM)CyberBull Wrote:  

Tom Herman

Chad Morris

no way florida goes for an assistant, they can get any head coach they want even some within its own conference

The question whether they go the assistant route is legit but they are not in the position to pick and choose any coach from the SEC.

Dan Mullen is the obvious name but a no go b/c him a Foley famously don't get a long.

In terms of everyone else, the high profile coaches in the league are not going to make a lateral move b/c Florida is not going to outspend Alabama, Auburn and LSU. The other programs all have good coaches but again b/c of the TV driven revenue sharing Florida won't be able take anybody's coach on money alone. More importantly, other Dan Mullen I don't think there are other sitting SEC coaches that would satisfy Gator fans appetite for a 'big name' head coach.