CSNbbs
North Dakota State doing it again... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: North Dakota State doing it again... (/thread-700784.html)

Pages: 1 2

North Dakota State doing it again... - MTPiKapp - 08-30-2014 02:18 PM

Why does any FBS program schedule them? All FCS wins carry essentially the same weight, if you're attempting to schedule a win, why play with fire?

Will this game respark discussion of whether or not a football only SBC membership would make sense for the Bison?

NDSU 34 Iowa State 14 4:00 to play

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - OsageJ - 08-30-2014 02:20 PM

(08-30-2014 02:18 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  Why does any FBS program schedule them? All FCS wins carry essentially the same weight, if you're attempting to schedule a win, why play with fire?

Will this game respark discussion of whether or not a football only SBC membership would make sense for the Bison?

I hope not. Talk them up for CUSA.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - MTPiKapp - 08-30-2014 02:27 PM

(08-30-2014 02:20 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  
(08-30-2014 02:18 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  Why does any FBS program schedule them? All FCS wins carry essentially the same weight, if you're attempting to schedule a win, why play with fire?

I hope not. Talk them up for CUSA.

We aren't playing with an odd number.

I'm not advocating for them to any FBS cconference, just asking the question, but you have to admit they'd provide a bigger boost than JMU, Missouri State, EKU or Liberty.

Whether or not they're actually a good fit or even interested is another story.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - SkullyMaroo - 08-30-2014 02:30 PM

Iowa State would be middle of the pack CUSA or Sun Belt, if that. It's not surprising. They were in the Big 12 due to location before the conference landscape became about market and pimping only certain conferences. If they were in one of our leagues they wouldn't ever move up.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - MTPiKapp - 08-30-2014 02:37 PM

(08-30-2014 02:30 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  Iowa State would be middle of the pack CUSA or Sun Belt, if that. It's not surprising. They were in the Big 12 due to location before the conference landscape became about market and pimping only certain conferences. If they were in one of our leagues they wouldn't ever move up.

I don't necessarily disagree, but Big XII cellar dweller or not NDSU doesn't look like they're playing with ~25 less scholarships that's for damn sure.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - DexterDevil - 08-30-2014 02:56 PM

How many straight wins do they have over FBS now and who all did they beat?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - bullitt_60 - 08-30-2014 03:00 PM

(08-30-2014 02:56 PM)DexterDevil Wrote:  How many straight wins do they have over FBS now and who all did they beat?

NDSU is 8-3 against FBS opponents since 2006. Including Ball St, Central Mich, K-State, Colorado St, Minnesota (2), Kansas and ISU.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - GoApps70 - 08-30-2014 03:14 PM

Hope you posted the same thing on the CUSA and MAC board. Maybe one of them would have some interest.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - SkullyMaroo - 08-30-2014 03:22 PM

(08-30-2014 03:00 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  
(08-30-2014 02:56 PM)DexterDevil Wrote:  How many straight wins do they have over FBS now and who all did they beat?

NDSU is 8-3 against FBS opponents since 2006. Including Ball St, Central Mich, K-State, Colorado St, Minnesota (2), Kansas and ISU.

Isn't this their 6th in a row though? Pretty impressive.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - CajunFanatico - 08-30-2014 03:28 PM

How long has that coach of theirs been there and what's his record?

If I was the Cajun AD, I might have his number on speed dial.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - chiefsfan - 08-30-2014 03:41 PM

(08-30-2014 03:28 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  

He's been there exactly 1 game and is now 1-0...

Previous coach got hired at Wyoming.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - CajunFanatico - 08-30-2014 03:42 PM

Nevermind. I see Wyoming beat us to it.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - chrisattsu - 08-30-2014 03:43 PM

(08-30-2014 03:28 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  

First game, 1-0.

Former coach, Craig Bohl left for Wyoming this year

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - MJG - 08-30-2014 06:57 PM

They may be the first program forced to move up to get a game.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - AlwaysSunny - 08-30-2014 07:08 PM

I have no idea why an FBS team would even put these dudes on the schedule anymore. I certainly wouldn't.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - AllPtsBulletin - 08-30-2014 07:50 PM

(08-30-2014 07:08 PM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  I have no idea why an FBS team would even put these dudes on the schedule anymore. I certainly wouldn't.

I'm sure these contracts were inked quite a few years back and NDSU probably gets one hell of a buyout if the D1A school gets cold feet. On that note, that's pretty lame for a D1A to cancel a game against a puny D1AA squad, no? Yeah.

So, once those name games for NDSU dry up, then the fun will probably be over.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - Kittonhead - 08-30-2014 08:46 PM

(08-30-2014 03:00 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  

8-3 vs. FBS over a decade is a sick record for any FCS school.

Let's take the MAC arguably one of the weakest FBS conferences. For all its failings a typical MAC year against the FBS is usually about 12-1 against FCS. I believe a year or two ago the MAC went undefeated against the FBS.

For NDSU by themselves to notch 3 MAC victories, 2 against the B1G and 2 against the B12 that says quite a lot for them to go in there and pull out those wins. Its not like they've been just battling second tier MWC schools every year that are lost on the field (though they did take out Colorado St). They are taking down B1G/B12 schools and GOOD MAC teams....not Miami and EMU here but Ball St/CMU.

If I were the SBC I would give NDSU an offer. They are really an easy school for the SBC to add because their basketball plays in the Summit League and they don't want to leave that behind.

Liberty has potential but they aren't even a FCS power yet. Missouri State I wouldn't even bother with until they can draw in that new stadium. NDSU is a school that would help the SBC immediately and allow Lafayette to move to the East in football providing a balance.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - TheRevSWT - 08-30-2014 08:59 PM

From a geography standpoint, how far out of whack is a NDSU in the MAC? I know they'd be an outlier, but would they be a HUGE outlier (like Idaho in the Sun Belt)?

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - Kittonhead - 08-30-2014 09:14 PM

(08-30-2014 08:59 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  From a geography standpoint, how far out of whack is a NDSU in the MAC? I know they'd be an outlier, but would they be a HUGE outlier (like Idaho in the Sun Belt)?

NDSU is about 8 hours from the closest MAC school Northern Illinois.

The distance between NIU and the furthest school in the MAC Buffalo is about 8 hours.

From the MAC perspective they are pretty far away and culturally more of a Western school than Midwest. Its a moot point anyways because the MAC is done expanding. They are happy to keep their regional identity.

RE: North Dakota State doing it again... - TheRevSWT - 08-30-2014 09:17 PM

I wasn't trying to suggest that the MAC expand for them, just curious... In doing the whole "perfect world" conference re-shuffling thing.

But really... They, like Idaho, need to be in a WAC type conference.