CSNbbs
Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. (/thread-696756.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - Memphis Blazer - 07-30-2014 07:54 PM

I know it isn't sports or Tiger treated, just wanted it to get maximum views. Should be interesting.

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - Tigerbluesky - 07-30-2014 08:00 PM

(07-30-2014 07:54 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I know it isn't sports or Tiger treated, just wanted it to get maximum views. Should be interesting.

Probably picking Marijuana if its Mongo.

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - Memphis Blazer - 07-30-2014 08:02 PM

On now. Eating breakfast at the Arcade.

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - Tigerbluesky - 07-30-2014 08:10 PM

"Put it in the pile". Lol

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - Chi-Town - 07-30-2014 08:18 PM

He is as crazy as ever.

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - former guest - 07-30-2014 08:31 PM

I told my wife he ran a pizza place on Highland back in the day. When I told her he was barefoot back in the kitchen even then, while he was making your pizza. Gave you a spiritual name to pick it up by when it was ready. She looked at me like I was crazy -til she saw the piece and then she believed me.

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - 21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha - 07-30-2014 09:53 PM

He was crazy when he landed here in the mid-60's and my parents rented our attic apartment to him. His family in Norfolk, Va. paid him to stay away after he rode a horse half-naked into the church where his cousin was having an elaborate wedding.

He was smart as a whip, but way "out of the box." He knew fine clothes, fine antiques, and was as educated and cultured as he could be. He had lovely manners. He and his cousin, Tommy, owned Daelion et Rae, an upscale mens clothing store on Union, and then he opened a Wig Room near it. He had a gorgeous antique maroon car and wore a big Roaring 20's raccoon coat. He would ride our bikes around Midtown late at night. I remember several Christmas mornings he sat on our living room floor and played with our new toys. We thought "Bobby" (Hodges) was great!

He moved down to another carriage house apartment on Rozelle when my mother grew tired of his antics, and he acquired a chimpanzee that he kept at his store at times. The poor chimp lasted until he locked him out of his apt. one night in winter and the animal froze.

He drew a disability check for years when he somehow convinced an insurance company he was "crazy." He served a bit of time in prison for some kind of white collar theft. He loved to see my mom in Seessels and come up and hug her in his complete Zambodian attire, and barefoot. The horrible hearse-like thing he drove around with the stuffed crow on top and the bullhorn really creeped me out. He loved to hang out at MUS games in the parking lot with kids all over his car.

I could go on and on. Just another Memphis character. Oh, and of course, he ran for Mayor how many times?

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - TripleA - 07-30-2014 10:01 PM

I've known about him as long as I can remember. Just a guy who moves to the beat of his own drum. Nothing wrong with that. The world could use more non-conformity. The segment on AP was cool.

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - k2tigers - 07-30-2014 10:03 PM

(07-30-2014 09:53 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  He was crazy when he landed here in the mid-60's and my parents rented our attic apartment to him. His family in Norfolk, Va. paid him to stay away after he rode a horse half-naked into the church where his cousin was having an elaborate wedding.

He was smart as a whip, but way "out of the box." He knew fine clothes, fine antiques, and was as educated and cultured as he could be. He had lovely manners. He and his cousin, Tommy, owned Daelion et Rae, an upscale mens clothing store on Union, and then he opened a Wig Room near it. He had a gorgeous antique maroon car and wore a big Roaring 20's raccoon coat. He would ride our bikes around Midtown late at night. I remember several Christmas mornings he sat on our living room floor and played with our new toys. We thought "Bobby" (Hodges) was great!

He moved down to another carriage house apartment on Rozelle when my mother grew tired of his antics, and he acquired a chimpanzee that he kept at his store at times. The poor chimp lasted until he locked him out of his apt. one night in winter and the animal froze.

He drew a disability check for years when he somehow convinced an insurance company he was "crazy." He served a bit of time in prison for some kind of white collar theft. He loved to see my mom in Seessels and come up and hug her in his complete Zambodian attire, and barefoot. The horrible hearse-like thing he drove around with the stuffed crow on top and the bullhorn really creeped me out. He loved to hang out at MUS games in the parking lot with kids all over his car.

I could go on and on. Just another Memphis character. Oh, and of course, he ran for Mayor how many times?

interesting.....good stuff

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - 450bench - 07-30-2014 10:03 PM

He really is a great guy. Used to do some work for him in high school. Very generous guy.

Loved the "throw it in a pile" stuff

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - shere khan - 07-30-2014 10:23 PM

a couple of my buddies and i were drinking beer and hanging out with our dates and one of them decided to give him a call, looked him up in the phone book. he invited us to a party at his house, i guess it was in midtown. we went down and hung out with him for a while. nutty as a fruitcake but a nice enough guy. just a bizzare experience.

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - Claw - 07-30-2014 11:47 PM

Thanks for the programming tip, spirit.

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - Claw - 07-31-2014 12:11 AM

Watching it now. Mongo is selling a lot of great stories. This is priceless.

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - UofMark - 07-31-2014 12:52 AM

I remember he had to go into hiding for awhile after he siphoned off about 3,000 votes in the 1991 Memphis mayoral election causing Dick Hackett to lose by 150 votes to Willie Herenton. His 'joking around candidacy' was not funny that night.

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - 80sTiger - 07-31-2014 01:18 AM

I wonder what Memphis would be like today if Hackett had been allowed to win that night ...

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - Bathtub Gin - 07-31-2014 06:23 AM

Willie would have won eventually

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - memp600 - 07-31-2014 06:26 AM

Does he still own that house off of Park? He used to have chairs sitting on top of the roof. Ha ha.

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - TheJesBro - 07-31-2014 07:18 AM

We need to start wikipedia page for this guy. I tried to explain him to some non-memphians; obviously I couldn't do it justice with mere storytelling so I went to the interwebs for pictures and articles but couldn't find anything other than a couple random news stories about him being evicted in Florida.

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - Brother Bluto - 07-31-2014 07:28 AM

(07-31-2014 06:26 AM)memp600 Wrote:  Does he still own that house off of Park? He used to have chairs sitting on top of the roof. Ha ha.

He had a place on I believe Eastmoreland which was a block off union that looked like an underground bunker. I hear he's got a nice apartment or condo off South Main now.

RE: Prince Mongo about to be on American Pickers at 8:00. - holyterror - 07-31-2014 07:46 AM

I just read that Rusty Hodges is Mongo's brother. How did I miss that?