CSNbbs
Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape (/thread-696660.html)

Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - invisiblehand - 07-30-2014 09:15 AM

For those people that haven't visited or we haven't seen in a conference before....

An amateur videographer filmed this with his quadcopter and uploaded it to reddit. I'm trying to get in touch with him to get him in contact with some of our sports marketing people to get some footage of a Tulsa Gameday. (Hopefully as soon as the Tulane Opener)

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - PiratePanther189 - 07-30-2014 09:38 AM

I dated a girl for a long time who's parents are OK natives and OK St. grads, and her dad owns a number of Ruth's Chris Steakhouses. He's wanted to open one in either OKC or Tulsa for years, says that the growth of those cities (OKC especially) reminds him of the growth of Charlotte in the late 80s - early 90s and I tend to really see that correlation.

It'll be cool to see where OK goes from here because I think things are going to turn really urban really fast out there.

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - invisiblehand - 07-30-2014 09:52 AM

I would say the cities of Tulsa and OKC are already pretty urbanized. We had explosive growth for most of the 20th century due to oil booms. Right now, there isn't a lot of metioric growth in the energy sector, and the corporate / manufacturing economy isn't really a HUGE part of the city like it is in some other places. So, for the moment, I would say Tulsa is pretty much stalled in a business sense. Jobs aren't exactly scarce but aren't overabundant either.

Our population is rising simply due to the abundance of quality middleclass suburbs, as well as low housing & commodity prices.

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - BearcatJerry - 07-30-2014 10:12 AM

No offense or anything, but most of those scenes are totally devoid of people or life...

Re: RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - goldenhurricane2 - 07-30-2014 10:49 AM

(07-30-2014 10:12 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  No offense or anything, but most of those scenes are totally devoid of people or life...

Did all the Cincinnati fans hold a secret meeting and agree to hate Tulsa as much as possible?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - SMUmustangs - 07-30-2014 10:54 AM

Personally, I am not all that impressed with the video. I do not think the video does justice to the City. Some of the shots make the city look kinda crappy. The river scenes are great and some of the night scenes

It is not all bad, that are excellent shots, but I just think overall the City is nicer than the video depicts. Plus it does not show some of the beautiful neighborhoods and musuems. Of course Tulsa is my home town and I am probably a little biased.

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - invisiblehand - 07-30-2014 11:09 AM

(07-30-2014 10:54 AM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  Personally, I am not all that impressed with the video. I do not think the video does justice to the City. Some of the shots make the city look kinda crappy. The river scenes are great and some of the night scenes

It is not all bad, that are excellent shots, but I just think overall the City is nicer than the video depicts. Plus it does not show some of the beautiful neighborhoods and musuems. Of course Tulsa is my home town and I am probably a little biased.

I think some of the people in the midtown mansions might get a bit peaved at someone flying what is basically a drone over their gardens. It is surprising that there aren't any shots of souther riverside / ORU area though.

Downtown is cool, but there isn't a ton of foot traffic down there. I did like the flyover shot of the University's "U".

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - invisiblehand - 07-30-2014 11:17 AM

(07-30-2014 10:12 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  No offense or anything, but most of those scenes are totally devoid of people or life...

Probably because it was an amateur shooting footage of mostly a downtown business district on the weekend. Looking at aerial videos of Cincinnati didn't seem much more populated or "lifelike". You do have a couple of cool suspension bridges (which probably didn't need to be suspension bridges as they aren't too long, but cool bridges non-the-less)

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - SMUmustangs - 07-30-2014 11:23 AM

(07-30-2014 11:09 AM)invisiblehand Wrote:  
(07-30-2014 10:54 AM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  Personally, I am not all that impressed with the video. I do not think the video does justice to the City. Some of the shots make the city look kinda crappy. The river scenes are great and some of the night scenes

I think some of the people in the midtown mansions might get a bit peaved at someone flying what is basically a drone over their gardens. It is surprising that there aren't any shots of souther riverside / ORU area though.

Downtown is cool, but there isn't a ton of foot traffic down there. I did like the flyover shot of the University's "U".

Yeah...I would like to see ORU and some of the river scenes near Jenks and the Aquaruin. The video is ok, but like I said, I do not think it does the City justice.

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - RollDambWave - 07-30-2014 11:27 AM

Tulsa is cool. I stopped there while on a road trip and was kinda surprised. I expected horses and hay. lol

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - BearcatJerry - 07-30-2014 02:50 PM

(07-30-2014 10:49 AM)goldenhurricane2 Wrote:  

Did all the Cincinnati fans hold a secret meeting and agree to hate Tulsa as much as possible?

"Hate"??? All I said was that most of the scenes were devoid of life. I am assuming the whole point of putting this video on here was to show what a great city Tulsa is. I didn't feel it watching the video.

And yeah... I get that the pilot had to shoot most of these shots when things weren't busy. So yes, I understand.

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - UConnHusky - 07-30-2014 02:54 PM

These things can go either way. Take video at a time when the city is empty and someone will complain that it looks dead. Take video at a time when people are everywhere and someone will complain that the city looks like a zoo.

Tulsa looks pretty cool to me.
04-cheers

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - GLinPa - 07-30-2014 08:47 PM

I know Tulsa is a cool city, but the video made it look small.
And that driller fellow looks like Ken doll, complete with no male accessories.

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - ncbeta - 07-30-2014 09:00 PM

Cool night shots...I want one of these things now.

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - BearcatJerry - 07-30-2014 09:01 PM

(07-30-2014 08:47 PM)GLinPa Wrote:  I know Tulsa is a cool city, but the video made it look small.
And that driller fellow looks like Ken doll, complete with no male accessories.

I had exactly the same thought , LOL!

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - ncbeta - 07-30-2014 09:05 PM

Btw, is that a large hole in front of the library? What is it?

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - BearcatsUC - 07-30-2014 09:14 PM

(07-30-2014 02:50 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(07-30-2014 10:49 AM)goldenhurricane2 Wrote:  

"Hate"??? All I said was that most of the scenes were devoid of life. I am assuming the whole point of putting this video on here was to show what a great city Tulsa is. I didn't feel it watching the video.

And yeah... I get that the pilot had to shoot most of these shots when things weren't busy. So yes, I understand.

Jerry, make sure you encrypt the next meeting invite so none of those Tulsa wackos get wind of it.

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - BearcatsUC - 07-30-2014 09:27 PM

For an amateur video, I think it is quite good, though like you I think they should have featured less of downtown and more of things that make Tulsa unique. That is what's missing.

I don't think Jerry's comments were insulting; rather, I think adding some humans to the video would have felt less sterile. For example, it looked like one area featured bars and restaurants, but no people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAnikXRzFbc

RE: Some Neat Footage of the Tulsa Cityscape - BearcatsUC - 07-30-2014 09:33 PM

(07-30-2014 11:17 AM)invisiblehand Wrote:  

Probably because it was an amateur shooting footage of mostly a downtown business district on the weekend. Looking at aerial videos of Cincinnati didn't seem much more populated or "lifelike". You do have a couple of cool suspension bridges (which probably didn't need to be suspension bridges as they aren't too long, but cool bridges non-the-less)

The Roebling bridge was the world's longest when it was built just after the Civil War, making it somewhat of an engineering marvel. It is the prototype for the Brooklyn Bridge.