CSNbbs
Has water found level ground between C-USA and Sun Belt? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+----- Forum: Sun Belt Smack Talk (/forum-309.html)
+----- Thread: Has water found level ground between C-USA and Sun Belt? (/thread-690915.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Has water found level ground between C-USA and Sun Belt? - Miami (Oh) Yeah ! - 05-30-2014 01:41 PM

CBSSN opting out of C-USA broadcasts. This year CBSSN and FS1 have both taken roughly half as many games as last year to air on their national TV platforms. C-USA's TV contract is up in 2 years and this and other rumors tend to point to a possible real let-down in the next TV contract. There was also a WKU fan on the C-USA board complaining that at least in the Sun Belt they were on ESPN3. No more, WKU fans must now pay $119 to watch Neulion streams on the C-USA website.

C-USA also saddled with 14 members splitting up their bowls, TV, and $, compared to 11 for Sun Belt.

I don't see any gain for ULL or ASU to look at a C-USA invite anymore. Sun Belt and C-USA are now equals. Conference realignment may be done for now.

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2014/05/notes-on-c-usa-preliminary-tv-schedule.html?m=1

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - arkstfan - 05-30-2014 02:03 PM

Like I've said before. The rumor has been that ESPN is giving CBSS some AAC games at less than what CBSS is paying for CUSA games.

It's a win-win for ESPN.
1. They keep the best AAC games.
2. They meet their exposure requirements with AAC.
3. By dumping excess inventory they drive down the value of other G5 games which helps make the Tuesday/Wed slot and ESPN Digital content cheaper.
4. By subsidizing CBSS they change the network from a bidding competitor to a customer.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - WKUFan518 - 05-30-2014 02:12 PM

(05-30-2014 01:41 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  CBSSN opting out of C-USA broadcasts. This year CBSSN and FS1 have both taken roughly half as many games as last year to air on their national TV platforms. C-USA's TV contract is up in 2 years and this and other rumors tend to point to a possible real let-down in the next TV contract. There was also a WKU fan on the C-USA board complaining that at least in the Sun Belt they were on ESPN3. No more, WKU fans must now pay $119 to watch Neulion streams on the C-USA website.

C-USA also saddled with 14 members splitting up their bowls, TV, and $, compared to 11 for Sun Belt.

I don't see any gain for ULL or ASU to look at a C-USA invite anymore. Sun Belt and C-USA are now equals. Conference realignment may be done for now.

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2014/05/notes-on-c-usa-preliminary-tv-schedule.html?m=1

What are you talking about? No more games on Tues. night, instead of being all online we will actually have most games on a Fox Sports Network, CBSSN, FSN or FCS channels that are all on TV..I prefer TV over ESPN 3 any day....Also with basketball I am sure WKU will get our deal back to where most games are on FCS anyways and possibly same deal with football....TV>online any day of the week...Not sure why a MAC fan needs to come over and start the 100th pissing contest thread and add to the already hundreds of threads about which conf. is better....Their will still be a pecking order despite whatever TV network deal comes about and bottom line 50 national game is still more than quadruple the amount of Sun Belt games and even in 2016 I am sure CUSA will still have more games shown on TV than New Mexico St., Idaho or Georgia Southern will....

BOTTOM LINE STILL TODAY OR IN 2016, IF A SUN BELT TEAM WAS INVITED TO CUSA TODAY OR IN 2016 THEY WOULD BE GONE FASTER THAN YOU CAN SAY SUN BELT...That to me is still the same pecking order, SB has a lot of work to do to get even half of the amount of games CUSA has....

Also for the hundredth time basketball is going to be very good in CUSA vs. Sun Belt, that is a fact!

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - itsmeagain - 05-30-2014 02:24 PM

(05-30-2014 02:12 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(05-30-2014 01:41 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  I don't see any gain for ULL or ASU to look at a C-USA invite anymore. Sun Belt and C-USA are now equals. Conference realignment may be done for now.

BOTTOM LINE STILL TODAY OR IN 2016, IF A SUN BELT TEAM WAS INVITED TO CUSA TODAY OR IN 2016 THEY WOULD BE GONE FASTER THAN YOU CAN SAY SUN BELT...That to me is still the same pecking order, SB has a lot of work to do to get even half of the amount of games CUSA has....

Probably so, but each little chip makes that pecking order less and less distinguishable. The question now is, what is tipping point?

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - Louisianafanrcajun90 - 05-30-2014 02:26 PM

(05-30-2014 01:41 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  CBSSN opting out of C-USA broadcasts. This year CBSSN and FS1 have both taken roughly half as many games as last year to air on their national TV platforms. C-USA's TV contract is up in 2 years and this and other rumors tend to point to a possible real let-down in the next TV contract. There was also a WKU fan on the C-USA board complaining that at least in the Sun Belt they were on ESPN3. No more, WKU fans must now pay $119 to watch Neulion streams on the C-USA website.

It's a lateral move these days but I would like to be in a different conference than ULM. No offense or disrespect but I think it would be best for both schools. Also I would like to be in a conference with USM and Tech.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - arkstfan - 05-30-2014 02:32 PM

What are you talking about? No more games on Tues. night, instead of being all online we will actually have most games on a Fox Sports Network, CBSSN, FSN or FCS channels that are all on TV..I prefer TV over ESPN 3 any day....Also with basketball I am sure WKU will get our deal back to where most games are on FCS anyways and possibly same deal with football....TV>online any day of the week...Not sure why a MAC fan needs to come over and start the 100th pissing contest thread and add to the already hundreds of threads about which conf. is better....Their will still be a pecking order despite whatever TV network deal comes about and bottom line 50 national game is still more than quadruple the amount of Sun Belt games and even in 2016 I am sure CUSA will still have more games shown on TV than New Mexico St., Idaho or Georgia Southern will....

Also for the hundredth time basketball is going to be very good in CUSA vs. Sun Belt, that is a fact!

Did you not read the link? In the link it is stated that CBSS has declined to take its full allotment of games AND IN ADDITION of the games CBS did take last year, it dumped ten of them over to Comcast Sports Southeast, who barring a last minute reprieve, shuts down tomorrow.

The guy isn't starting a pissing match. He's sharing a link that states in black and white that the TV partner who funds one-half of CUSA's TV money isn't going to the trouble to carry the games it is contracted to carry, and the same thing happened in basketball last season.

I know you feel better touting the pecking order, but I can sit down with an Excel spreadsheet and easily show you the dollars and cents worked for WKU.

You CANNOT do that for AState and UL because if CUSA called today and both accepted, they would enter July 1, 2015 and would be liable for a $2 million entry fee. They would also forego Sun Belt revenue sharing which was peanuts, but is now bolstered by $1 million per team in CFP money for next year. So the cost of entry is slightly over $3 million.

How do they earn that $3 million back?

The TV contract for 2016-17 and beyond is an unknown number but we know that $7 million of the $14 million that CUSA receives comes from CBSS who is slashing their involvement with CUSA.

CUSA earned one unit in the NCAA Tournament last year while SIX units fell off. That's a decline of $1.29 million. C-USA has three units set to fall off this coming year C-USA has to come up with two more bids than it got last year, or two bids with one team winning a game, or one bid with a team winning two games or the distribution falls yet again.

WKU will recover the just over $2 million in expense to join (though I note WKU has since dropped a sport) before the contract runs out, there are no guarantees anyone joining now can recover the just over $3 million expense in a reasonable time frame.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - chiefsfan - 05-30-2014 02:33 PM

Eh...I wouldn't make that claim. I could easily see a future where ASU would back away from CUSA interest.

Right now...yes...but in the future, I don't know.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - WKUFan518 - 05-30-2014 02:36 PM

The OP is implying WKU made the wrong move due to the TV contract not being what it originally was in 2012....Ok I get it, but still its not even debatable the pecking order and that is not going to change either in 2 years when the SB more than likely calls up another FCS member vs. CUSA plucking the best of the best from CUSA.....No way Ark. St. or ULL admin. turns down an CUSA invite in 1 or 2 years as OP implies with his post....

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - CAJUNNATION - 05-30-2014 02:46 PM

Can people not see the writing on the wall here?

In the next few years there is going to be a reshuffling of the lineups of the two leagues into a SW based league and a SE based league.

There might be 1 or 2 of the current members left out somehow, but this is going to happen.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - Crump1 - 05-30-2014 02:46 PM

This can't come as a shock to anyone.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - chiefsfan - 05-30-2014 02:47 PM

(05-30-2014 02:36 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  The OP is implying WKU made the wrong move due to the contract not being what it originally was in 2012....Ok I get it, but still its not even debatable the pecking order and that is not going to change either in 2 years when the SB more than likely calls up another FCS member vs. CUSA plucking the best of the best from CUSA.....No way Ark. St. or ULL admin. turns down an CUSA invite in 1 or 2 years....

Still I wouldn't take that bet on our front. We're not going anywhere unless the money and exposure shows a net gain. Without knowing what that TV contract will look like, I'm not sure we can make up the Roughly 3 million dollars of entrance fees in a quick amount of time, and 3 million dollars is a very big deal here.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - arkstfan - 05-30-2014 02:49 PM

(05-30-2014 02:36 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  The OP is implying WKU made the wrong move due to the contract not being what it originally was in 2012....Ok I get it, but still its not even debatable the pecking order and that is not going to change either in 2 years when the SB more than likely calls up another FCS member vs. CUSA plucking the best of the best from CUSA.....No way Ark. St. or ULL admin. turns down an CUSA invite in 1 or 2 years....

I'm not sure I'd construe the comment that ONE WKU poster feels aggrieved that the number of games are down and will be pushed to a $119 a year subscription package instead of free WatchESPN equates to saying WKU made the wrong move.

WKU will recover its costs of moving.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - itsmeagain - 05-30-2014 02:51 PM

Well, as it stands i would imagine that with the revenue going as it will be after this, the rest of CUSA is going to want to stand pat rather than add any additional members. I would also imagine that even if CUSA is raided somehow, it might be preferable to current CUSA members as it will increase revenue. So even if that is the case, as the status quo seems to be changing it's going to be a moot point as nobody will be shifting anywhere.

Now imagine a scenario where this goes on, the SBC stays pat for a few years. If revenue ends up better on this end, and (heaven forbid) the Sun Belt continues to improve in football and basketball, is it possible that the lowly Sun Belt Conference could pick off a CUSA team and shift that pecking order? I don't think it's as unreasonable as you would dare admit.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - Crump1 - 05-30-2014 02:51 PM

One more thing, while it might not be great for the hometown fan, Tuesday or Thursday night games are much better for exposure than playing on a Saturday afternoon.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - arkstfan - 05-30-2014 02:52 PM

(05-30-2014 02:46 PM)CAJUNNATION Wrote:  Can people not see the writing on the wall here?

In the next few years there is going to be a reshuffling of the lineups of the two leagues into a SW based league and a SE based league.

There might be 1 or 2 of the current members left out somehow, but this is going to happen.

Eh, maybe.

Remember everyone joining CUSA will have recovered their entry costs before the next TV deal comes into play.

Unless you are going to save them a lot of money or make them more than CUSA14 the laws of motion apply.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - WKUYG - 05-30-2014 02:54 PM

(05-30-2014 02:33 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Eh...I wouldn't make that claim. I could easily see a future where ASU would back away from CUSA interest.

In the future ASU might go 1-11 three years in a row and 2-28 in basketball. CUSA might have 2 teams undefeated and a team in the F4...

no one knows the future but TODAY, tomorrow, next month, next year, ASU, UL-L, Troy, GSU, txst ...every SBC would take the invite. If you say other wise then you are lying to yourself.

As for this TV debate below are the number of games each CUSA school will be on TV...

I don't care how many times Western is on TV..I WILL be at every game. But as of yesterday the number is 6 times and more than likely 7 to 9 times

REAL TV that you can use a remote to change a channel. To most fans that means a lot.

From everything I read on the CUSA board this is the first list with a expanded list of games to follow.

WKU, Marshall, Louisiana Tech, 6

Rice 9
MUTS 4
Southern Miss 4
Florida Atlantic 5
North Texas 7
UTSA 9
Old Dominion 4
FIU 4
UAB 2

But just like WKUFan518 said why would a MAC fan be starting another pissing contest on the SBC board?

One thing not being talked about in this pissing contest...

CUSA has the "potential" to get a better deal because of those markets. Like I said no one knows the future but if the future is good to CUSA and that "potential" the money will increase.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - arkstfan - 05-30-2014 02:59 PM

If you have the potential to get more money based on markets why did CBSS not tap into that potential last year in basketball or this year in football?

Keep repeating "markets, markets, markets". You can't spend it but at least it will remind you of what drove realignment by the real players a decade ago.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - WKUYG - 05-30-2014 02:59 PM

Everyone in the SBC is thinking...FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL. What you're not thinking is the "potential" is there for CUSA to send 2, 3 or 4 teams to the NCAA Tourney in the future.

That is where a conference can grow...BASKETBALL

For the most part all of our football programs are locked in and not much room to grow...there will always be a ceiling

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - itsmeagain - 05-30-2014 02:59 PM

(05-30-2014 02:54 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(05-30-2014 02:33 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

In the future ASU might go 1-11 three years in a row and 2-28 in basketball. CUSA might have 2 teams undefeated and a team in the F4...

no one knows the future but TODAY, tomorrow, next month, next year, ASU, UL-L, Troy, GSU, txst ...every SBC would take the invite. If you say other wise then you are lying to yourself.

As for this TV debate below are the number of games each CUSA school will be on TV...

I don't care how many times Western is on TV..I WILL be at every game. But as of yesterday the number is 6 times and more than likely 7 to 9 times

REAL TV that you can use a remote to change a channel. To most fans that means a lot.

From everything I read on the CUSA board this is the first list with a expanded list of games to follow.

WKU, Marshall, Louisiana Tech, 6

Rice 9
MUTS 4
Southern Miss 4
Florida Atlantic 5
North Texas 7
UTSA 9
Old Dominion 4
FIU 4
UAB 2

But just like WKUFan518 said why would a MAC fan be starting another pissing contest on the SBC board?

One thing not being talked about in this pissing contest...

CUSA has the "potential" to get a better deal because of those markets. Like I said no one knows the future but if the future is good to CUSA and that "potential" the money will increase.

Sounds great for a message board, but it's not the fans on here that make these decisions, and the presidents aren't going to make a decision based on conjecture or the fact that for now a CUSA team has x amount of games on TV when it is already known that that won't be the case in the following years.

RE: Has water found level between C-USA and Sun Belt? - WKUYG - 05-30-2014 03:02 PM

(05-30-2014 02:59 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  If you have the potential to get more money based on markets why did CBSS not tap into that potential last year in basketball or this year in football?

Keep repeating "markets, markets, markets". You can't spend it but at least it will remind you of what drove realignment by the real players a decade ago.

You are missing my point if CUSA grows into a really good conference the markets are there to get more money. Of course if it stays the same or just small growth that won't happen.