CSNbbs
OT-Academics - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: OT-Academics (/thread-688131.html)

OT-Academics - Vobserver - 05-02-2014 11:19 AM

http://www.aapg.org/publications/new...es-iba-history

The above link is to an American Association of Petroleum Geologists article about the Imperial Barrel Award, an international competition among University Geology departments. The UL team recently won this award for the second time, finishing ahead of second place OU and third place Colorado School of Mines in the field of 122 universities.

UL is the only school to have won the award more than once.

RE: OT-Academics - CatMom - 05-02-2014 07:53 PM

(05-02-2014 11:19 AM)Vobserver Wrote:  http://www.aapg.org/publications/new...es-iba-history

The above link is to an American Association of Petroleum Geologists article about the Imperial Barrel Award, an international competition among University Geology departments. The UL team recently won this award for the second time, finishing ahead of second place OU and third place Colorado School of Mines in the field of 122 universities.

UL is the only school to have won the award more than once.

I'll take our body farm over that and, honestly, eventually those folks will end up as some form of fuel. 03-drunk

RE: OT-Academics - trueblue21 - 05-02-2014 08:07 PM

Nice!!!

Georgia Southern's Geology and Geography department is getting better every year. We are adding master programs for both in the fall. The problem we have is the lack of research from faculty and funding.
I know Im getting a good degree, the geology side already has some good jobs but between GIS and other geo applications I feel like the field is about to blow up. Are you or were you in the geo dept over there? What kind of research do you guys focus on? Going to any conferences anytime soon?

RE: OT-Academics - Vobserver - 05-02-2014 10:44 PM

(05-02-2014 08:07 PM)trueblue21 Wrote:  Nice!!!

Georgia Southern's Geology and Geography department is getting better every year. We are adding master programs for both in the fall. The problem we have is the lack of research from faculty and funding.
I know Im getting a good degree, the geology side already has some good jobs but between GIS and other geo applications I feel like the field is about to blow up. Are you or were you in the geo dept over there? What kind of research do you guys focus on? Going to any conferences anytime soon?

I have no connection to the department, unless you count tailgating with the Dean of Engineering. Geo is in the Engineering College at UL.
Since Lafayette is the hub of the oil industry in Louisiana, we concentrate pretty heavily on petroleum geology.

OT-Academics - CajunFan3406 - 05-03-2014 06:27 PM

(05-02-2014 10:44 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  

I have no connection to the department, unless you count tailgating with the Dean of Engineering. Geo is in the Engineering College at UL.
Since Lafayette is the hub of the oil industry in Louisiana, we concentrate pretty heavily on petroleum geology.

VO, geology is in the College of Sciences at UL not College of Engineering, but a lot of their classes are in Madison Hall on the Petroleum Engineering side. But you are correct on the program's focus. Heavy on petroleum geology.

RE: OT-Academics - Steve1981 - 05-03-2014 07:13 PM

Makes perfect since to educate for jobs important to LA, very nice.

RE: OT-Academics - Vobserver - 05-03-2014 07:48 PM

(05-03-2014 06:27 PM)CajunFan3406 Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 10:44 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  

VO, geology is in the College of Sciences at UL not College of Engineering, but a lot of their classes are in Madison Hall on the Petroleum Engineering side. But you are correct on the program's focus. Heavy on petroleum geology.

See, I know so little I dont even know what college it is in. Lol

RE: OT-Academics - zeebart21 - 05-03-2014 08:29 PM

(05-03-2014 07:13 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Makes perfect since to educate for jobs important to LA, very nice.

Steve-O its actually important nationwide and worldwide. This is a Universe dependent on fossil fuels.. like it or not, its a reality. UL is a top notch school. All the best..

Z