CSNbbs
Conference Championship Game Deregulation - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Conference Championship Game Deregulation (/thread-686269.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Conference Championship Game Deregulation - CliftonAve - 04-15-2014 09:44 AM

Sounds like this is a done deal.

I would like to discuss how this will affect the American. There have been countless threads on this board with division proposals. With this deregulation, we could do away with division all together and simply pick the two teams with the best record for the CCG.

What I imagine would happen is teams would have a couple of protected rivalry games they place each year (ie. Houston would SMU and Tulane every year) and then rotate between 5 other teams every other year.

What say you?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24526912/expect-acc-to-once-again-play-influential-role-as-playoff-era-begins

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - NBPirate - 04-15-2014 09:47 AM

Pretty much solidifies that the B12 wont be expanding anytime soon

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - Native Georgian - 04-15-2014 09:48 AM

(04-15-2014 09:47 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  Pretty much solidifies that the B12 wont be expanding anytime soon
Yep.

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - firmbizzle - 04-15-2014 09:51 AM

Why did we need 12 schools again? Can we create a new league and leave Tulsa & Tulane out?

Conference Championship Game Deregulation - Knights_of_UCF - 04-15-2014 09:55 AM

Inviting Tulane and Tulsa was very premature. At least Tulane and New Orleans is awesome to visit though.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - uconnwhaler - 04-15-2014 09:55 AM

(04-15-2014 09:51 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Why did we need 12 schools again? Can we create a new league and leave Tulsa & Tulane out?

I don't want to be a dic& to our new conference mates, but inviting them (Tulsa specifically) is looking like an epic blunder. We should have stayed at 10 and picked off the strongest G5's when they proved themselves elsewhere.

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - TIGERCITY - 04-15-2014 09:56 AM

Two points of interest >>>

...As for that strength of schedule, the ACC is discussing whether to go from eight to nine conference games. One school of thought: Adding Notre Dame already provides an automatic schedule strength upgrade. Another: The ACC has to consider a nine-game schedule given that the Big 12 and Pac-12 already have one and the SEC is considering it.

The ACC has an informal interest in perhaps partnering with the SEC or Big 12 in an “8 + 1” model.

“We're still playing with it, trying to figure out what's best,” the commissioner said...

And

...On the subject of autonomy Swofford said, “I don't think the student-athlete has been neglected.”

He is one of the big five commissioners who will basically take over legislation at the Division I level in NCAA restructuring (also called autonomy). The new model is due to be finalized in August. Many of the goals in autonomy are the same as the rights sought by the Northwestern players in unionization...

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - CommuterBob - 04-15-2014 09:58 AM

Yeah, each schools should have one or two protected rivalries and then rotate everything else. No divisions needed. That way the conference could even add a team (say BYU) without having to add a 14th to balance divisions.

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - NBPirate - 04-15-2014 10:00 AM

Now we can add BYU without anyone else COGS

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - oliveandblue - 04-15-2014 10:11 AM

I'm very curious as to what the "protected" games will be for each team.

Will these games be dictated by geography, school composition, program quality, or history? Will certain schools put out a "do NOT have us assigned with X" request?

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - bearcatlawjd - 04-15-2014 10:32 AM

Deregulation is a game changer in my view. Goodbye even divisions and hello odd numbered teams in a conference. The ACC could add UConn without adding anyone else now or the American could go after BYU too. The American could possibly add UMass without worry about adding a second school that would be kill the leagues SOS.

Cincinnati doesn't have to play in a western division because there will be no western division.

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - Maize - 04-15-2014 10:36 AM

(04-15-2014 10:32 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  Deregulation is a game changer in my view. Goodbye even divisions and hello odd numbered teams in a conference. The ACC could add UConn without adding anyone else now or the American could go after BYU too. The American could possibly add UMass without worry about adding a second school that would be kill the leagues SOS.

Cincinnati doesn't have to play in a western division because there will be no western division.

The only way any conference adds anyone is if it increases the TV $$$$....while I would not have any issue with with Cincinnati or UConn to the ACC-(yes I know this is an AAC Board) just don't see it happening...

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - NBPirate - 04-15-2014 10:45 AM

(04-15-2014 10:36 AM)Maize Wrote:  
(04-15-2014 10:32 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  Deregulation is a game changer in my view. Goodbye even divisions and hello odd numbered teams in a conference. The ACC could add UConn without adding anyone else now or the American could go after BYU too. The American could possibly add UMass without worry about adding a second school that would be kill the leagues SOS.

The only way any conference adds anyone is if it increases the TV $$$$....while I would not have any issue with with Cincinnati or UConn to the ACC-(yes I know this is an AAC Board) just don't see it happening...

I don't see anyone going anywhere. Like the article says, I think this move paired with the ACC grant of rights has ended the shuffle for likely at least 10 years.

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - bearcatlawjd - 04-15-2014 10:47 AM

It might not happen but it changes the need for two schools joining instead of one.

The American should use this schedule rotation and play nine games:

South:Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane
East: ECU, Navy, USF, UCF
North:Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, UConn

Play everyone in you pod every season and three teams from the other groups every season. This protects just about every rivalry game and gives everyone a chance for exposure in Texas and Florida.

If the American sticks with eight games, I would do this

North: UConn, Temple, Navy
Southeast: ECU, USF, UCF
Midwest: Memphis, Cincinnati, Tulsa
Southwest: Houston, SMU, Tulane

Play everyone in your pod plus two teams in the other pods each season. Most rivalry games are protected and the rotation allows for a nice mix of opponents every season.

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - NBPirate - 04-15-2014 10:49 AM

(04-15-2014 10:47 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  

It might not happen but it changes the need for two schools joining instead of one.

Play everyone in you pod every season and three teams from the other groups every season. This protects just about every rivalry game and gives everyone a chance for exposure in Texas and Florida.

Play everyone in your pod plus two teams in the other pods each season. Most rivalry games are protected and the rotation allows for a nice mix of opponents every season.

Meh,

ECU is a long ways from those opponents in our division. Would be better suited in the Northeast.

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - oliveandblue - 04-15-2014 10:50 AM

The TV money is so small right now that adding or reducing schools REALLY doesn't push the needle that much one way or the other.

For example, a good football school in an atrocious market will easily make up for what they take away from the TV deal.

Divisions - *gulp* - may be necessary to keep travel expenses at a minimum.

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - wavefan12 - 04-15-2014 10:53 AM

I agree that you only add a team is it adds to revenue and I simply don;t understand how UConn Bball teams alone would not be a net positive for the B12 of ACC. I would love for them to stay long term, but am just waiting for the announcement.

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - bearcatlawjd - 04-15-2014 10:54 AM

(04-15-2014 10:49 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  

Meh,

ECU is a long ways from those opponents in our division. Would be better suited in the Northeast.

In an 8 game format, ECU would still play two out of three games against the northeast teams. I don't see any conference using divisions.

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - Tigers2B1 - 04-15-2014 10:57 AM

And this makes it easier for a P5 to expand.

RE: Conference Championship Game Deregulation - invisiblehand - 04-15-2014 11:01 AM

(04-15-2014 09:55 AM)uconnwhaler Wrote:  
(04-15-2014 09:51 AM)firmbizzle Wrote:  Why did we need 12 schools again? Can we create a new league and leave Tulsa & Tulane out?

I don't want to be a dic& to our new conference mates, but inviting them (Tulsa specifically) is looking like an epic blunder. We should have stayed at 10 and picked off the strongest G5's when they proved themselves elsewhere.

Keep saying to that when you're losing to us in football.