CSNbbs
Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite (/thread-685723.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - T-Dog - 04-10-2014 12:44 AM

(04-09-2014 10:32 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  We played last year with no conference logo on the field. We got the SoCon logo off almost as soon as we accepted the Sun Belt invite.

We had a faded SoCon logo that wasn't re-painted in the off-season, so it was there this year, but wasn't greatly visible. Then before the final game it was scrubbed off.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - chiefsfan - 04-10-2014 12:50 AM

(04-10-2014 12:33 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 11:01 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  I agree that the Vandals will be in the SBC at least through the '17-'18 season.

So, if offers are going out to both JMU and MSU, I'm guessing the JMU offer is for all sports and the MSU offer is for non-football sports, with an option for MSU to begin a transition to FBS in '16-'17 and complete it in '18-'19 when Idaho can be replaced.

Having said this, I'm nonetheless skeptical of these reports because of the impact of adding both JMU and MSU on non-football divisional alignment. If both schools are invited, the SBC will have 13 members for non-football sports, which isn't workable. NMSU can be upgraded to full membership to balance the divisions, but that means the Louisiana schools will have to play in separate divisions, which doesn't make sense. My prediction is still just one addition to the conference, in the east, with the choice coming down to JMU (preferred), Liberty (fallback), or EKU (dark horse).

+1. The SBC needs one school, an eastern school. JMU or Liberty. There is no good reason to go beyond 12 at this time.

Idaho is not leaving. Missouri State is not coming. These ridiculous rumors will never stop.

I think you are going to be pretty disappointed when this all works out.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - T-Dog - 04-10-2014 02:02 AM

I always had an idea for JMU. Since they would be ineligible for all CAA titles once they declare they are leaving (VCU and Mason announced literally two months before moving to the A-10 to avoid this), how about bring in JMU for all non-football sports this summer, then football next summer? Football will be ineligible for titles anyway due to the transition and football schedules are already set.

Then next summer, Missouri State, Liberty, NMSU, whatever.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - bladhmadh - 04-10-2014 05:30 AM

(04-09-2014 09:50 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  I will hold my tongue if JMU joins but go read their board and they don't put forward a very appealing attitude. Some of them are obnoxious. They would be good for the conference but hearing how superior they are and that the CAA is better than the SBC is a bit much. It is bad enough when you hear that garbage from CUSA or MAC fans.

are you kidding me? that's a great attitude for a new fan base to have! it gives the rest of the east a team to hate because of their overblown fans and it will be all the sweeter when they get their asses beat

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - knucklehead - 04-10-2014 06:00 AM

So little info, so much joy. Haha

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - PurpleStreamers - 04-10-2014 06:30 AM

(04-10-2014 02:02 AM)T-Dog Wrote:  I always had an idea for JMU. Since they would be ineligible for all CAA titles once they declare they are leaving (VCU and Mason announced literally two months before moving to the A-10 to avoid this), how about bring in JMU for all non-football sports this summer, then football next summer? Football will be ineligible for titles anyway due to the transition and football schedules are already set.

If this goes down, that's certainly what I'd hope for. That all-sports lame duck year ODU went through looked pretty rough.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - JMU2004 - 04-10-2014 06:51 AM

(04-10-2014 06:30 AM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 02:02 AM)T-Dog Wrote:  I always had an idea for JMU. Since they would be ineligible for all CAA titles once they declare they are leaving (VCU and Mason announced literally two months before moving to the A-10 to avoid this), how about bring in JMU for all non-football sports this summer, then football next summer? Football will be ineligible for titles anyway due to the transition and football schedules are already set.

If this goes down, that's certainly what I'd hope for. That all-sports lame duck year ODU went through looked pretty rough.

We'll be following the VCU/GMU model. That being said, if we accept an SBC invite, then we have already lined up homes for FH and WLAX, and they need to be able to move at the same time.

Lots of parts in motion.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - ARSTATEFAN1986 - 04-10-2014 06:55 AM

(04-09-2014 11:01 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  I agree that the Vandals will be in the SBC at least through the '17-'18 season.

So, if offers are going out to both JMU and MSU, I'm guessing the JMU offer is for all sports and the MSU offer is for non-football sports, with an option for MSU to begin a transition to FBS in '16-'17 and complete it in '18-'19 when Idaho can be replaced.

Having said this, I'm nonetheless skeptical of these reports because of the impact of adding both JMU and MSU on non-football divisional alignment. If both schools are invited, the SBC will have 13 members for non-football sports, which isn't workable. NMSU can be upgraded to full membership to balance the divisions, but that means the Louisiana schools will have to play in separate divisions, which doesn't make sense. My prediction is still just one addition to the conference, in the east, with the choice coming down to JMU (preferred), Liberty (fallback), or EKU (dark horse).

+1. The SBC needs one school, an eastern school. JMU or Liberty. There is no good reason to go beyond 12 at this time.

Idaho is not leaving. Missouri State is not coming. These ridiculous rumors will never stop.

He has insider information from the kingpin. lol

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - statefanatic - 04-10-2014 07:03 AM

(04-10-2014 06:55 AM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  

He has insider information from the kingpin. lol

More like he is the only one without a source!07-coffee3

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Buzz Lightyear Lite - 04-10-2014 07:30 AM

(04-09-2014 07:57 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  Does it say anything about them accepting? Could be the SBC pushing the issue. Crap or get off the pot time.

If it is SBC pushing issue....before deadline this is exactly what SBC is doing.....if they decline or do not vote to go SBC I think we make another offer very soon or is it dead for now

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - knucklehead - 04-10-2014 07:35 AM

Again, as folks said in regards to the Liberty info the other day, we are early in this process. They will likely not vote until the May meetings. Any info right now seems like speculation to me. They may be sending feelers out or whatever ,but I don't expect anything official till mid to late May.

As a friend said to me earlier, this is the campaign, the election isn't till mid-May.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - AppfanInCAAland - 04-10-2014 07:44 AM

(04-10-2014 06:51 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  We'll be following the VCU/GMU model. That being said, if we accept an SBC invite, then we have already lined up homes for FH and WLAX, and they need to be able to move at the same time.

Lots of parts in motion.

Mo State and JMU (along w/ App) would make three field hockey teams. Maybe the SBC can take over the NorPac. Pretty much a guaranteed NCAA bid for JMU every year - and Liberty would be in the Sun Belt after all, at least as a field hockey affiliate any way.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - TrueBlueAlum - 04-10-2014 07:46 AM

I wouldn't expect any major announcements this week/weekend because Benson will be on our campus friday/sat for baseball and spring game. Typically he'd be elsewhere if there were an announcement being made.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Buzz Lightyear Lite - 04-10-2014 07:50 AM

As to JMU's fan base that may or may not be excited.....50/50 and all that....if they do come on board I think they will find that this conference is pretty tough and that feeling superior if any do will soon fade.....It may not be what all want in their school or any other school but being able to be in a solid conference with good competition makes things alot better in a year to 3 years being in instead of still being in FCS......It was said that if JMU accepts, (even if their has been an invite) that it signals the end of realignment for a while is probably a very real statement......Its better to put your cards on the table then to sit of to the side with a whole deck and not be able to play at all.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - knucklehead - 04-10-2014 08:02 AM

As I read through the tweets from Matthew Stoss, I feel like he's just grasping at straws. He's all over the place. He now says he's told there is no invite. Again, I don't think any official invite will be issued until after the May meetings. Everything now is vetting and negotiations. Is SBC interested in JMU? most likely. Is JMU interested in SBC? who knows, but I still lean toward no. I mean, just look at Stoss' tweets. he even goes as far as to say that "none of these options are super attractive".

So again, who knows for real what on earth is happening.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - bridgeforthduke - 04-10-2014 08:12 AM

People shouldn't take some JMU fans saying they don't want in the Sun Belt as an indictment on the entire fan base. When there were MAC rumors a few months ago the same thing happened as JMU posters came out of the woodwork to complain about the MAC. I'm sure the same thing would happen with CUSA as well. There just isn't a clear attractive choice that excites the whole JMU fanbase. The fact is though that most over on the JMU boards would be happy with a Sun Belt invite.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - JMU2004 - 04-10-2014 08:15 AM

(04-10-2014 08:12 AM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  People shouldn't take some JMU fans saying they don't want in the Sun Belt as an indictment on the entire fan base. When there were MAC rumors a few months ago the same thing happened as JMU posters came out of the woodwork to complain about the MAC. I'm sure the same thing would happen with CUSA as well. There just isn't a clear attractive choice that excites the whole JMU fanbase. The fact is though that most over on the JMU boards would be happy with a Sun Belt invite.

Bingo....we seem to have plenty of "sideline" posters who trot out when a rumor breaks. A lot of them don't even realize who is left in the CAA anymore.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - GoApps70 - 04-10-2014 08:18 AM

(04-10-2014 08:12 AM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  People shouldn't take some JMU fans saying they don't want in the Sun Belt as an indictment on the entire fan base. When there were MAC rumors a few months ago the same thing happened as JMU posters came out of the woodwork to complain about the MAC. I'm sure the same thing would happen with CUSA as well. There just isn't a clear attractive choice that excites the whole JMU fanbase. The fact is though that most over on the JMU boards would be happy with a Sun Belt invite.

Probably true of most schools concerning many potential moves.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - arkstfan - 04-10-2014 08:37 AM

(04-09-2014 11:46 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 11:36 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 11:30 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 11:22 PM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 11:03 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I don't see that the Sun Belt owes UMass anything. Idaho joined this year knowing that it was only a 2 year football agreement. The Sun Belt does not owe them anything beyond that either.

No one said the SBC owes UMASS anything. I think that if UMASS can't find a home and we are at 13 with Idaho as football only, it would be discussed to bring an east coast football only into the mix. If both were paying annual dues, and there was a travel offset agreement like we have with IDAHO, then it might work to get to 14 that way. My preference is for this evening's rumors to come true and that we have 2 full members joining the league in the footprint of the conference. We can have the UMASS/IDAHO discussion next year.

Or a new Eastern Seaboard conference discussion.....

With CUSA's exit fee tied against damages to the TV contract it may be Georgia State, Georgia Southern, App State, JMU, UMass ect that will lead the charge for a separatist league. Convince 1-2 to join from CUSA like Marshall and ODU but not enough schools to bring down value of the entire contract.

03-idea

Contract expires in 2016. Can't hurt the value of a contract yet to be negotiated (in an easily provable way)

It expires in 2015-16. I think the eastern upgrades of the SBC might be a little late to the party to try to force something by the end of next year.

If you fast forward to about 2018-19 in advance of the next round of bowl contracts and CFP negotiations then it would make more sense to split when you can gain your own set of bowls, payout for the CFP ect. CUSA's deal will probably not go beyond 2019-20 anyways so hurting a contract won't be a problem then either.

The basic fact is the CUSA/SBC double footprint alignment is not in the best interest of the schools of those conferences. The way you build a football following is by playing a regional schedule, IMO.

This is the south.

We aren't very egalitarian. Self-worth is often measured not in competition but in who you can exclude from your club. The more you are able to exclude the better your club is.

Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Agrinut - 04-10-2014 08:38 AM

It's pretty obvious that the SBC is using Liberty to try and force JMU's hand on this. Liberty goes to all the SBC schools like the last pick in dodgeball trying to convince everyone he is better than last time. Mean while MSU and JMU set back and host the SBC with them talking about how much they would like them and how weird that one kid is that won't quit begging you for attention.