CSNbbs
Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite (/thread-685723.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - PurpleStreamers - 04-09-2014 09:31 PM

(04-09-2014 09:18 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  I apologize if I'm wrong, but I remember reading on the JMU board that during one of his talking tours he stated and I paraphrase the teams we would be playing are no better than the current teams we play. I do find it's safe to say that IF JMU accepts the invite they come in to the SB with their nose pinched.

Sorry we kind of jumped on you as I'm sure LU fans are as touchy on this subject as we are, but just to clarify, President Alger only stated, in an apparent attempt to assuage faculty concerns about increasing focus and investment on athletics, that the conferences (SBC, MAC, CUSA) JMU was even talking about were not all that different in terms of "investment" than what JMU is already doing in CAA/CAAFB. It wasn't disparaging at all, just a restatement of a fact that is largely misunderstood by some on the academic side who think that "moving to the highest level of football" means we're going suddenly turn into West Virginia or Virginia Tech and have class standards like UNC.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - OsageJ - 04-09-2014 09:37 PM

Didn't Missouri St' s board give their President the authority to make the decisions on realignment. To me that was a tell. Didn't he also visit the conference offices during conference meetings. Another tell. I guess we see just how good a poker player he is.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - TOPSTRAIGHT - 04-09-2014 09:38 PM

WHY has this letter to Idaho not come out before? (showing possible 4 year only term).Why has that been kept under wraps?

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Libertygrad01 - 04-09-2014 09:38 PM

(04-09-2014 09:31 PM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 09:18 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  I apologize if I'm wrong, but I remember reading on the JMU board that during one of his talking tours he stated and I paraphrase the teams we would be playing are no better than the current teams we play. I do find it's safe to say that IF JMU accepts the invite they come in to the SB with their nose pinched.

Sorry we kind of jumped on you as I'm sure LU fans are as touchy on this subject as we are, but just to clarify, President Alger only stated, in an apparent attempt to assuage faculty concerns about increasing focus and investment on athletics, that the conferences (SBC, MAC, CUSA) JMU was even talking about were not all that different in terms of "investment" than what JMU is already doing in CAA/CAAFB. It wasn't disparaging at all, just a restatement of a fact that is largely misunderstood by some on the academic side who think that "moving to the highest level of football" means we're going suddenly turn into West Virginia or Virginia Tech and have class standards like UNC.

Thanks the clarification. I have nothing but respect for JMU. Losing out to a school like JMU softens the blow somewhat if Liberty is passed by.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - GaSoEagle - 04-09-2014 09:41 PM

The Sun Belt needed to get Idaho last year as they were needed for a 12 football team conference. Ga. Southern and App were FCS moveups. The conference did not want to transition more than 2 teams, so NMSU and Idaho were added. Then you guys (WKU) left so the 12 team idea was wrecked.

There was from what I understand big-time opposition to Idaho but based on the 12 team idea they were added for football. This "exit clause" was put in at the insistence of the Sun Belt. Idaho was in no position not to take ANY offer they could get to play fb in the Belt.

Re: RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - MSUBear42 - 04-09-2014 09:43 PM

(04-09-2014 09:37 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  Didn't Missouri St' s board give their President the authority to make the decisions on realignment. To me that was a tell. Didn't he also visit the conference offices during conference meetings. Another tell. I guess we see just how good a poker player he is.

Both are correct.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - theultimateaggie - 04-09-2014 09:45 PM

(04-09-2014 09:41 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  The Sun Belt needed to get Idaho last year as they were needed for a 12 football team conference. Ga. Southern and App were FCS moveups. The conference did not want to transition more than 2 teams, so NMSU and Idaho were added. Then you guys (WKU) left so the 12 team idea was wrecked.

There was from what I understand big-time opposition to Idaho but based on the 12 team idea they were added for football. This "exit clause" was put in at the insistence of the Sun Belt. Idaho was in no position not to take ANY offer they could get to play fb in the Belt.

Just so I can sleep at night, nmsu doesn't have agreement like this right?

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - chiefsfan - 04-09-2014 09:48 PM

(04-09-2014 09:30 PM)MSUBear42 Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 08:35 PM)Klak Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 08:35 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  "@MatthewStoss: Was just asked about JMU getting a Sun Belt invite: I'm told there is, at the moment, no invite."

"@MatthewStoss: From what I've heard, JMU views the Sun Belt as a safety net."

Those are from JMU's football beat reporter.

Georgia Southern had "no invite" until the press conference. Just saying.

And technically our comment from administrators is that we 'have still not received an offer'

You forgot the phrase "to my knowledge" and "Yet"

That's code for...well we think something's coming.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Crump1 - 04-09-2014 09:50 PM

I will hold my tongue if JMU joins but go read their board and they don't put forward a very appealing attitude. Some of them are obnoxious. They would be good for the conference but hearing how superior they are and that the CAA is better than the SBC is a bit much. It is bad enough when you hear that garbage from CUSA or MAC fans.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - GaSoEagle - 04-09-2014 09:51 PM

To my knowledge there is no such agreement regarding NMSU. Last year there was sentiment for bringing in NMSU in all sports but they could not get the required 75% vote for it.

If I was a NMSU fan I would be pulling hard for JMU and Missouri St. to accept Sun Belt all sport invites at this point.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - statefanatic - 04-09-2014 09:51 PM

So when will MSU announce they are joining? I would like to watch that presser.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - buryyourduke - 04-09-2014 09:51 PM

Not at all saying JMU isn't coming, because that's certainly the way it looks at this point.

What I can say for 100% certainty is that Stoss doesn't know anything. I'm not sure what he does all day, but he sure isn't keeping up with this stuff or digging up info.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - ValleyBoy - 04-09-2014 09:53 PM

(04-09-2014 09:30 PM)MSUBear42 Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 08:35 PM)Klak Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 08:35 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  "@MatthewStoss: Was just asked about JMU getting a Sun Belt invite: I'm told there is, at the moment, no invite."

"@MatthewStoss: From what I've heard, JMU views the Sun Belt as a safety net."

Those are from JMU's football beat reporter.

Georgia Southern had "no invite" until the press conference. Just saying.

And technically our comment from administrators is that we 'have still not received an offer'

And they have a very big smile on there face when they say it. This is the same reaction Georgia Southern fans got from Keel and TK right up to the press conference to announce the move to the Sun Belt last year.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Kittonhead - 04-09-2014 09:53 PM

(04-09-2014 09:45 PM)theultimateaggie Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 09:41 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  The Sun Belt needed to get Idaho last year as they were needed for a 12 football team conference. Ga. Southern and App were FCS moveups. The conference did not want to transition more than 2 teams, so NMSU and Idaho were added. Then you guys (WKU) left so the 12 team idea was wrecked.

Oh sh##

04-jawdrop

Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - JMU2004 - 04-09-2014 09:54 PM

(04-09-2014 09:51 PM)buryyourduke Wrote:  Not at all saying JMU isn't coming, because that's certainly the way it looks at this point.

What I can say for 100% certainty is that Stoss doesn't know anything. I'm not sure what he does all day, but he sure isn't keeping up with this stuff or digging up info.

Stoss has been an empty suit since Mike Barber left. Talk about contrast.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - ChooChoo - 04-09-2014 09:55 PM

(04-09-2014 09:50 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  I will hold my tongue if JMU joins but go read their board and they don't put forward a very appealing attitude. Some of them are obnoxious. They would be good for the conference but hearing how superior they are and that the CAA is better than the SBC is a bit much. It is bad enough when you hear that garbage from CUSA or MAC fans.

As I've stated before, JMU would be more appealing but I'd just as soon take Liberty with MSU and NMSU just because they on surface ACT like they are greatful, eager, and want to be a part of our conference. To me that carries a ton of weight.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - GaSoEagle - 04-09-2014 09:59 PM

There is no exit agreement with NMSU to my knowledge.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - slycat - 04-09-2014 10:00 PM

(04-09-2014 09:50 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  I will hold my tongue if JMU joins but go read their board and they don't put forward a very appealing attitude. Some of them are obnoxious. They would be good for the conference but hearing how superior they are and that the CAA is better than the SBC is a bit much. It is bad enough when you hear that garbage from CUSA or MAC fans.

Everyone had that attitude but it gets changed once they see its not the conference they once thought it was.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Crump1 - 04-09-2014 10:01 PM

(04-09-2014 09:55 PM)ChooChoo Wrote:  

As I've stated before, JMU would be more appealing but I'd just as soon take Liberty with MSU and NMSU just because they on surface ACT like they are greatful, eager, and want to be a part of our conference. To me that carries a ton of weight.
I realize that every fanbase has their poor sports and obnoxious element but I really detest negativity and arrogance. I am a bit too optimistic but it beats the alternative in my opinion.

The SBC is as good as CUSA or the MAC and fans should focus on what their school can do to improve while being positive about their conference.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - chiefsfan - 04-09-2014 10:01 PM

(04-09-2014 09:45 PM)theultimateaggie Wrote:  

No. But there is a clause to allow us the opportunity to invite all sports.