CSNbbs
Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite (/thread-685723.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Buzz Lightyear Lite - 04-14-2014 11:01 AM

My absolutely favorite thing about this is that by June 1st we have now.......47 days,.....I think this thread maybe the longest ever......and most speculated.....I really also think JMU and anyone else will say yes....but who really knows....about 8 months ago a young man was sitting in my office who had a dinner engagement with of all folks a board member from JMU....said SBC was coming.....this was in general just a discussion of college sports.....ODD....but no more odd then the list of potential candidates

JMU, EKU, Jax St. SHSU, MSU, Western Podunk U, Liberty, etc..etc...

We shall see by June 1st

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - SlyFox - 04-14-2014 11:07 AM

If you think this is the longest thread ever, clearly you haven't scanned very far down the front page:

http://csnbbs.com/thread-674364-page-259.html

I agree that it is terrific that we have a hard and fast deadline. One way or the other, it appears there will be some resolution.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Buzz Lightyear Lite - 04-14-2014 03:15 PM

(04-14-2014 11:07 AM)SlyFox Wrote:  If you think this is the longest thread ever, clearly you haven't scanned very far down the front page:

http://csnbbs.com/thread-674364-page-259.html

I agree that it is terrific that we have a hard and fast deadline. One way or the other, it appears there will be some resolution.

Actually in 5 days 59 pages.....the other yes from Jan 28 14.....to the 12th....at 3.5 pages a day.....not saying it will be the longest but it could be a pretty long...there was a great deal of angst and push on the Liberty folks side.....some folks just could not stand the idea of Liberty so it got to some passions.....but before this is over and if even after some said anouncement this thread may get to that 259 level yet....particularly if I and others keep writing things like this...LOL

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - appsfan - 04-14-2014 07:54 PM

(04-14-2014 10:51 AM)asupatch Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 10:25 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  JMU needs to realize that in order to get to FBS the Sunbelt is the only option. Whether or not they like the schools academically, having a seat at the FBS table will make them a better candidate for any expansion by the AAC or MAC that they so desire. Once they are fully FBS then it is a much easier transition to move to a different conference.

App did the same thing last year. When it comes down to deadline time I feel JMU is smart enough to see the writing on the CAA or FBS wall.

A decision which was made easier to make with GS moving with us at the same time.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - asupatch - 04-15-2014 01:26 PM

(04-14-2014 07:54 PM)appsfan Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 10:25 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  JMU needs to realize that in order to get to FBS the Sunbelt is the only option. Whether or not they like the schools academically, having a seat at the FBS table will make them a better candidate for any expansion by the AAC or MAC that they so desire. Once they are fully FBS then it is a much easier transition to move to a different conference.

App did the same thing last year. When it comes down to deadline time I feel JMU is smart enough to see the writing on the CAA or FBS wall.

A decision which was made easier to make with GS moving with us at the same time.

A decision which for JMU could be made easier by the CAA evacuees.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - All Dukes_All Day - 04-15-2014 02:18 PM

(04-15-2014 01:26 PM)asupatch Wrote:  

A decision which should have already been made easier by the CAA evacuees.

FIFY. If JMU admin hasn't figured it out by now, they aren't going to.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Tom in Lazybrook - 04-15-2014 02:19 PM

Yea, I don't get JMU's reluctance. Unless they have a MAC bid in their back pocket (which I doubt).

Here's my best guess as to JMU's press release if they choose to not join the Sun Belt.

"James Madison University has come to the decision that it simply cannot have its academic reputation harmed by ending its athletic association with Towson State, UNC Wilmington, and College of Charleston. As result we have decided to remain in the Colonial Athletic Association. In addition, we'd like to welcome Coastal Carolina to the Colonial Athletic Association."

Those at JMU opposed to joining the Sun Belt are making four very bad assumptions.

1) Assuming that the CAA is what it once was
2) Assuming that FCS is what it once was
3) Assuming that the college football landscape in Virginia is what it once was
4) Assuming that the Sun Belt is what it once was

I really feel bad for their fans. I felt the same way when I found out USA was offered a ticket to the Great Midwest and turned it down.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - statefanatic - 04-15-2014 02:22 PM

It's sad that JMU can't make up there minds about FBS. Kinda makes me feels sorry for the fans.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - All Dukes_All Day - 04-15-2014 02:24 PM

(04-15-2014 02:19 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Yea, I don't get JMU's reluctance. Unless they have a MAC bid in their back pocket (which I doubt).

Here's my best guess as to JMU's press release if they choose to not join the Sun Belt.

"James Madison University has come to the decision that it simply cannot have its academic reputation harmed by ending its athletic association with Towson State, UNC Wilmington, and College of Charleston. As result we have decided to remain in the Colonial Athletic Association. In addition, we'd like to welcome Coastal Carolina to the Colonial Athletic Association."

While I get the satire, I imagine IF they release anything about a non-move it would be along the lines of the benefits not outweighing the costs. The sheep would agree in masse, but anyone who knows anything about this situation would look around at the CAA and wonder what the hell are they talking about.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Tom in Lazybrook - 04-15-2014 02:28 PM

(04-15-2014 02:24 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  
(04-15-2014 02:19 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 10:51 AM)asupatch Wrote:  App did the same thing last year. When it comes down to deadline time I feel JMU is smart enough to see the writing on the CAA or FBS wall.

While I get the satire, I imagine IF they release anything about a non-move it would be along the lines of the benefits not outweighing the costs. The sheep would agree in masse, but anyone who knows anything about this situation would look around at the CAA and wonder what the hell are they talking about.

Shade not meant at the Dukes fans, who seem to get it, but at y'all's administration.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - bridgeforthduke - 04-15-2014 02:28 PM

Don't look for any JMU move (or lack of a move) until late May. With spring sports being this close to being over, it wouldn't make much sense to announce before then and lock out the sports from competing for a conference title. I assume the Sun Belt or any other conference that really wanted JMU would be fine waiting until then for an announcement.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Buzz Lightyear Lite - 04-15-2014 02:32 PM

(04-15-2014 02:28 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  Don't look for any JMU move (or lack of a move) until late May. With spring sports being this close to being over, it wouldn't make much sense to announce before then and lock out the sports from competing for a conference title. I assume the Sun Belt or any other conference that really wanted JMU would be fine waiting until then for an announcement.

gosh if we accept a common sense answer like that we might stop all the speculation......but it does make sense.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Tom in Lazybrook - 04-15-2014 02:33 PM

(04-15-2014 02:28 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  Don't look for any JMU move (or lack of a move) until late May. With spring sports being this close to being over, it wouldn't make much sense to announce before then and lock out the sports from competing for a conference title. I assume the Sun Belt or any other conference that really wanted JMU would be fine waiting until then for an announcement.

Yea, I don't see any announcement coming until mid-May. The fact that the Sun Belt hasn't moved forward with other options means one of three things

1) JMU really will take the bid and is just waiting for the end of the CAA schedule
2) JMU has not turned down the bid from the Sun Belt and is still evaluating (JMU is really good at that) while begging the MAC to take them (which is a very dangerous game for JMU if they really want FBS)
3) JMU has a bid from the MAC and is awaiting the end of the CAA schedule to notify the CAA and the Sun Belt (I'd be surprised if the MAC kicked out UMass to take JMU as a 13th of 13th member)
4) There is no consensus to add Liberty (possible even if JMU turns the Belt down)

When does baseball and softball end?

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - GoApps70 - 04-15-2014 02:39 PM

If JMU is that cautious, could they operate effectively making FBS conference decisions?
Seems like we are in a Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid movie ... Who are those people?

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - GaSoEagle - 04-15-2014 02:40 PM

Or the Sun Belt has decided to just forget JMU and go with 11 until Idaho can be exited and we have 10 then.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - bridgeforthduke - 04-15-2014 02:40 PM

Softball ends May 7th.

Baseball ends May 21st.

I don't expect JMU to participate in the baseball tournament anyway this year because our team is a train wreck and only the top 6 seeds play in the tournament.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Tom in Lazybrook - 04-15-2014 03:30 PM

(04-15-2014 02:40 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  Softball ends May 7th.

Baseball ends May 21st.

I don't expect JMU to participate in the baseball tournament anyway this year because our team is a train wreck and only the top 6 seeds play in the tournament.

So by May 15th or so, if there's no press conference scheduled and no BOV meeting scheduled, we can probably just move on I suppose.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - bridgeforthduke - 04-15-2014 03:36 PM

(04-15-2014 03:30 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Baseball ends May 21st.

So by May 15th or so, if there's no press conference scheduled and no BOV meeting scheduled, we can probably just move on I suppose.

Does anyone know when the Sun Belt's meetings are this year? I believe they were May 21-23 last year so I assume it'll be around the same time. I have to believe that an actual vote on a new member will take place then.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - FloridaJag - 04-15-2014 03:47 PM

Baseball ends May 21st.

Note: Today's game with Liberty was canceled. 05-stirthepot

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - TrueBlueAlum - 04-15-2014 03:49 PM

(04-15-2014 03:47 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  Note: Today's game with Liberty was canceled. 05-stirthepot

Note: Today's game with Mercer was canceled. Guess we can count them out too.