CSNbbs
Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite (/thread-685723.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - FAUAEPi - 04-10-2014 02:06 PM

(04-10-2014 02:03 PM)asupatch Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 01:37 PM)knucklehead Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 01:29 PM)asupatch Wrote:  EKU is light years ahead of Liberty in tradition, like-minded school, no online diploma program with incessant Devry like commercials. Also better for Ark State and others for travel. Liberty is better than Presbyterian and VMI if that lessens the blow any. Liberty just doesn't have the votes. There are a few schools that no matter how desperate we are for a 12th will never vote for LU.

You heard it here folks. Liberty has no chance at all. This guy knows his stuff. I'm afraid I have to leave now.

Whatever?!

Wow that easy....um.... bye I guess.

Wow. If we knew it'd be that easy, we would've said that months ago!

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Libertygrad01 - 04-10-2014 02:25 PM

After reading the JMU board I'm amazed at the love fest going on between most of the posters here and JMU. One poster basically said accept us in football only and let us see after 2-3 years if you're good enough for all of our sports. The SB is sometimes referred to as the Slum belt. This post has nothing to do with Liberty, but all you JMU lovers are getting exactly what you deserve by clamoring for them to join. JMU is a fine school, but they have the attitude of Alabama fans in football with the trophy case of Ga. State.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - JMU2004 - 04-10-2014 02:29 PM

(04-10-2014 02:25 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  After reading the JMU board I'm amazed at the love fest going on between most of the posters here and JMU. One poster basically said accept us in football only and let us see after 2-3 years if you're good enough for all of our sports. The SB is sometimes referred to as the Slum belt. This post has nothing to do with Liberty, but all you JMU lovers are getting exactly what you deserve by clamoring for them to join. JMU is a fine school, but they have the attitude of Alabama fans in football with the trophy case of Ga. State.

So we have Liberty fans cherry picking comments again. You neglected to mention the majority of positive SBC comments.

Then again, you have an agenda....

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - BlueBird10 - 04-10-2014 02:32 PM

(04-10-2014 02:25 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  After reading the JMU board I'm amazed at the love fest going on between most of the posters here and JMU. One poster basically said accept us in football only and let us see after 2-3 years if you're good enough for all of our sports. The SB is sometimes referred to as the Slum belt. This post has nothing to do with Liberty, but all you JMU lovers are getting exactly what you deserve by clamoring for them to join. JMU is a fine school, but they have the attitude of Alabama fans in football with the trophy case of Ga. State.

Like you said, JMU is a fine school. I don't view them as superior to any other Sun Belt school but I do view them as much more of an asset to the conference than Liberty, EKU, Lamar, etc. Who cares what a bunch of message board posters say...it's about the greater good! JMU will improve that.

To me the following league rivals any G5 conference:

WEST:

- Arkansas State

- Louisiana

- Missouri State

- New Mexico State

- Texas State

- ULM

EAST:

- Appalachian State

- Georgia Southern

- Georgia State

- James Madison

- South Alabama

- Troy

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Attackcoog - 04-10-2014 02:34 PM

(04-10-2014 01:04 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 01:01 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 12:52 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  I'm not gonna read 27 pages but has this been posted? EKU seems to have the most actual links to the SBC... http://www.easternprogress.com/2014/04/09/eastern-president-holds-forum-to-discuss-future-of-athletics-program/

They are linked to us because they've openly said they want an SBC invite.

Thing is...they are 2-3 years behind the rest of us. Just getting lights on your baseball field is not a good sign if you want to play in one of the better baseball leagues in the country. Just one example of work that has to be done.
Well does that mean you won't take EKU b/c they're 2-3 behind if JMU says no and you'll settle for Liberty?

I could see the SB saying "no" to everyone if their first two choices are not available and simply use UMass like Idaho---A temporary renewable rental until a better option is available.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - cmaxwellgsu - 04-10-2014 02:35 PM

I don't have the venom for Liberty that some here do, but dude do y'all really think you can bash someone else's trophy case? Liberty's in empty except for the dust.....

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - asupatch - 04-10-2014 02:35 PM

(04-10-2014 02:34 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 01:04 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 01:01 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 12:52 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  I'm not gonna read 27 pages but has this been posted? EKU seems to have the most actual links to the SBC... http://www.easternprogress.com/2014/04/09/eastern-president-holds-forum-to-discuss-future-of-athletics-program/

They are linked to us because they've openly said they want an SBC invite.

Thing is...they are 2-3 years behind the rest of us. Just getting lights on your baseball field is not a good sign if you want to play in one of the better baseball leagues in the country. Just one example of work that has to be done.
Well does that mean you won't take EKU b/c they're 2-3 behind if JMU says no and you'll settle for Liberty?

I could see the SB saying "no" to everyone if their first two choices are not available and simply use UMass like Idaho---A temporary renewable rental until a better option is available.

Also a pretty likely scenario.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - All Dukes_All Day - 04-10-2014 02:39 PM

(04-10-2014 02:32 PM)GSU Eagle Wrote:  

Like you said, JMU is a fine school. I don't view them as superior to any other Sun Belt school but I do view them as much more of an asset to the conference than Liberty, EKU, Lamar, etc. Who cares what a bunch of message board posters say...it's about the greater good! JMU will improve that.

To me the following league rivals any G5 conference:

WEST:

- Arkansas State

- Louisiana

- Missouri State

- New Mexico State

- Texas State

- ULM

EAST:

- Appalachian State

- Georgia Southern

- Georgia State

- James Madison

- South Alabama

- Troy

Sign me up. I'm not sure how any of our fans can claim the CAA is better than this. The Sun Belt knows the geographic foot print is quite large, they'll schedule olympic sports as to minimize travel expenses for all schools.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - TheRevSWT - 04-10-2014 02:39 PM

It's really not that JMU is so TERRIBLY WANTED... It's really just illustrating how little some folks want Liberty.

Even though I think JMU would be a fine addition, I'm not in love with having them. But if it's a choice of JMU or Liberty... Well, that's a no brainer to me.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - All Dukes_All Day - 04-10-2014 02:40 PM

Even the rich a$$ pac-12 schedules their games so that if you travel to say Washington or Oregon that you play both in conference state schools while there.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - JMUDunk - 04-10-2014 02:41 PM

hunh. A liberty guy lying. Isn't that grounds for expulsion or something? He said "we have obvious hesitation about joining for all sports, why not let us join for football and show us what you got?" Not exactly see if you're good enough for all our sports.

We clearly DO have some hesitation about joining for all sports, other concerns likely as well. mostly its the geography of the whole situation and having to send the sports other than football and perhaps M/W Bball all over the Country. To that concern, none of the other "possible" conferences is a whole lot easier or better, though.

Point being, easing us in with a ftball only invite might make the logistics and finances easier for our clearly (little c) conservative Admin to swallow. Go from there. If it turns out to be a good fit, then great, we move all in. It's not like there aren't football only AND Non-football schools already in the Belt.

Oh, and you may want to check that Trophy case before you comment further.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - TheRevSWT - 04-10-2014 02:42 PM

I don't think a football only invite is going to be in the cards for anyone this round.

I think in general, folks do not like them (can't say I blame them).

Re: RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - ark30inf - 04-10-2014 02:44 PM

(04-10-2014 02:41 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  

hunh. A liberty guy lying. Isn't that grounds for expulsion or something? He said "we have obvious hesitation about joining for all sports, why not let us join for football and show us what you got?" Not exactly see if you're good enough for all our sports.

We clearly DO have some hesitation about joining for all sports, other concerns likely as well. mostly its the geography of the whole situation and having to send the sports other than football and perhaps M/W Bball all over the Country. To that concern, none of the other "possible" conferences is a whole lot easier or better.

Point being, easing us in with a ftball only invite might make the logistics and finances easier for our clearly (little c) conservative Admin to swallow. Go from there. If it turns out to be a good fit, then great, we move all in. It's not like there aren't football only AND Non-football schools already in the Belt.

Can we PLEASE leave both of these schools in FCS?

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - GoApps70 - 04-10-2014 02:45 PM

We clearly DO have some hesitation about joining for all sports, other concerns likely as well. mostly its the geography of the whole situation and having to send the sports other than football and perhaps M/W Bball all over the Country. To that concern, none of the other "possible" conferences is a whole lot easier or better.

So basically you are saying we would be better off going with Missouri State or Eastern Kentucky or Liberty; other words someone that actually want to be with us. Is that what you are saying?

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - JMUDunk - 04-10-2014 02:51 PM

What the hell are either on of you talking about?

I'm talking about how I, I, think it might be easier for the Admin at JMU to get us where we, as fans, want to go- FBS. Why is that so tough?

Do we have to LOVE all that is the joy and glory of trotting our tennis teams to Louisiana and Texas, in order for us to make the move? It's NOT a knock on anyone or any school or anything else.

I'm talking about easing into what is the biggest decision THIS school has made since deciding to go Co-ed. just looking for an entree for us, no more, no less.

Geeezus people, thin skinned much?

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - JMUDunk - 04-10-2014 02:52 PM

no idea what happened there...

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - MRD92 - 04-10-2014 02:53 PM

(04-10-2014 02:45 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  

So basically you are saying we would be better off going with Missouri State or Eastern Kentucky or Liberty; other words someone that actually want to be with us. Is that what you are saying?

He might be saying that, but that's the problem with message boards, assuming that some very vocal fans speak for an entire fan base. I'm sure I could find a large number of JMU fans who agree with him. I'm sure I could find a large number of JMU fans who disagree and would enthusiastically welcome a Sun Belt invite.

I'm also sure that I could get every JMU fan to agree that a Liberty fan should not be making any comments comparing JMU's trophy case to Georgia State's (sorry Ga.St. fans...).

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - Libertygrad01 - 04-10-2014 02:57 PM

(04-10-2014 02:35 PM)cmaxwellgsu Wrote:  

I don't have the venom for Liberty that some here do, but dude do y'all really think you can bash someone else's trophy case? Liberty's in empty except for the dust.....

Last year we dominated the conference. I know it's Big South, but you can only win the conference you play in.

The George F. “Buddy” Sasser Cup Trophy (usually just called the Sasser Cup) is a US trophy awarded annually to the top athletic program in the Big South Conference. Formally called The Commissioner's Cup, it was renamed The Sasser Cup after former Commissioner George F. "Buddy" Sasser.
1997-98 - Liberty
1998-99 - Liberty
1999-00 - Liberty
2000-01 - Coastal Carolina
2001-02 - Liberty
2002-03 - Liberty
2003-04 - Coastal Carolina
2004-05 - Coastal Carolina
2005-06 - Coastal Carolina
2006-07 - Coastal Carolina
2007-08 - Liberty
2008-09 - Liberty
2009-10 - Liberty
2010-11 - Liberty
2011-12 - Liberty
2012-13 - Liberty

So our trophy case isn't exactly gathering dust.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - FAUAEPi - 04-10-2014 02:57 PM

I had a sandwich for lunch today.

RE: Reports out of missouri saying JMU and MSU recieved invite - JMUDunk - 04-10-2014 02:57 PM

(04-10-2014 02:42 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  I don't think a football only invite is going to be in the cards for anyone this round.

I think in general, folks do not like them (can't say I blame them).

FTR, I don't see it coming either. Just positing an idea that I, and a few others, think would get us moving a little faster, or at all, as a matter of fact.

I can't blame them either. I understand the need in certain instances, but in an ideal world these effing conferences would be more tightly aligned "pods" geographically as much as possible. Some of this insanity about flying about in all directions multiple times a year for non-revenue sports could be ceased to some extent.

That was, really, all that was being said.