CSNbbs
The 2007 membership standards and expectations - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: The 2007 membership standards and expectations (/thread-683691.html)

The 2007 membership standards and expectations - arkstfan - 03-25-2014 10:20 AM

By a unanimous vote in 2007, the Sun Belt set minimum standards for members as well as a set of expectations for the members. Each year schools were to receive a report detailing how they had performed that year.

The standards didn't last long.

I've got a breakdown of it all that is available to Scout subscribers but I've also put a copy of the 2007 press release up for non-subscribers, you can go through that and pretty well figure out what I had to say. Haven't been able to find the release on the Sun Belt website but they changed providers along the way.
http://arkansasstate.scout.com/2/1387537.html

RE: The 2007 membership standards and expectations - CrazyCajun - 03-25-2014 10:27 AM

(03-25-2014 10:20 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  By a unanimous vote in 2007, the Sun Belt set minimum standards for members as well as a set of expectations for the members. Each year schools were to receive a report detailing how they had performed that year.

I've got a breakdown of it all that is available to Scout subscribers but I've also put a copy of the 2007 press release up for non-subscribers, you can go through that and pretty well figure out what I had to say. Haven't been able to find the release on the Sun Belt website but they changed providers along the way.

Oh boy! Not surprised by some of the facts in this blog.

RE: The 2007 membership standards and expectations - ARSTATEFAN1986 - 03-25-2014 10:37 AM

(03-25-2014 10:20 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  By a unanimous vote in 2007, the Sun Belt set minimum standards for members as well as a set of expectations for the members. Each year schools were to receive a report detailing how they had performed that year.

I for one would like to see the Sun Belt...at least Arkansas State to move away from scheduling Division II schools or NAIA schools (Lyon College) unless they are exhibition games.

RE: The 2007 membership standards and expectations - arkstfan - 03-25-2014 10:38 AM

I don't know if the league still does the reports on attendance across the four sports and scheduling across those sports to create an annual "walk of shame".

No one meets ALL of the expectations, but it would be interesting to know if they still get a report detailing how they fail to meet the expectations.

RE: The 2007 membership standards and expectations - zeebart21 - 03-25-2014 11:17 AM

(03-25-2014 10:27 AM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  

Careful, some of our Belt member schools need to be coddled. Its not their fault they are third rate.

Z

RE: The 2007 membership standards and expectations - SkullyMaroo - 03-25-2014 11:27 AM

(03-25-2014 11:17 AM)zeebart21 Wrote:  
(03-25-2014 10:27 AM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  

Careful, some of our Belt member schools need to be coddled. Its not their fault they are third rate.

Z

Ok. This made me LOL.

RE: The 2007 membership standards and expectations - chiefsfan - 03-25-2014 11:42 AM

Interesting:

Football:

Teams may play no more than two money games and one FCS game in a year, and must play 6 home games every other year. (ULM out of compliance)

Teams should have an average attendance of 75 percent of their stadium capacity. (Without looking at the total numbers, I know stAte, ULL, App, and GS are all in compliance here.)

25 percent of capacity must be in season tickets sold.

At least Two Bowl Berths minimum,. (Three)

Basketball:

No D2 games allowed without special permission. (We all failed miserably here) No more than Two no return road games on the schedule each year.

At least half your OOC games must be at home or at a neutral tournament site.

Attendance should equal 50 percent of stadium capacity (FAIL)

Conference Office will provide a rewarding postseason tournament experience (Double Fail)

RE: The 2007 membership standards and expectations - FoUTASportscaster - 03-25-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:Membership Standards

1. Member institutions are expected to sponsor a minimum of fifteen (15) sports in which the conference offers a championship. There shall be a five-year (2012-2013) grace period for UNO and Denver to reach this standard.

2. Institutions considering candidates for head coaching positions in core sports shall insure that there is a diverse pool of candidates considered for the position.

3. Any future members must sponsor IA football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, softball, and volleyball or women’s soccer.

Interesting. UTA violates both of these. We only sponsor 14 sports and (obviously) don't sponsor football.

RE: The 2007 membership standards and expectations - chiefsfan - 03-25-2014 09:47 PM

(03-25-2014 09:25 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  

1. Member institutions are expected to sponsor a minimum of fifteen (15) sports in which the conference offers a championship. There shall be a five-year (2012-2013) grace period for UNO and Denver to reach this standard.

2. Institutions considering candidates for head coaching positions in core sports shall insure that there is a diverse pool of candidates considered for the position.

3. Any future members must sponsor IA football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, softball, and volleyball or women’s soccer.

Interesting. UTA violates both of these. We only sponsor 14 sports and (obviously) don't sponsor football.

UALR is out of compliance as well now that they only sponsor 14.

RE: The 2007 membership standards and expectations - arkstfan - 03-25-2014 09:57 PM

(03-25-2014 09:47 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(03-25-2014 09:25 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  

UALR is out of compliance as well now that they only sponsor 14.

Ironically UALR dropped to the 14 less than 3 months before the deadline Denver and UNO were up against.