CSNbbs
Here's how the dominoes fall - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Here's how the dominoes fall (/thread-600527.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Here's how the dominoes fall - FIUFan - 11-19-2012 03:18 PM

The Big East has already lost Rutgers to the Big10 and Louisville appears to be in a tug-of-war between the Big XII and the ACC. The Big East will lose at least one more as the ACC will need to replace Maryland.

So the Big East adds two from C-USA to replace Rutgers and Louisville, likely ECU and Marshall.

C-USA replaces ECU and Marshall with MTSU and WKU.

The Sun Belt replaces MTSU and WKU with App St. and Ga. Southern.

Symmetry and balance are restored for another six months. 05-stirthepot

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - InjunJohn - 11-19-2012 03:20 PM

(11-19-2012 03:18 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  The Big East has already lost Rutgers to the Big10 and Louisville appears to be in a tug-of-war between the Big XII and the ACC. The Big East will lose at least one more as the ACC will need to replace Maryland.

So the Big East adds two from C-USA to replace Rutgers and Louisville, likely ECU and Marshall.

Or MTSU and WKU realize that the SBC is on the rise, the conference is getting much better and tells CUSA to pound sand!! 04-rock04-cheers

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - Blueraidersig - 11-19-2012 03:22 PM

I've heard rumors of MT to the big east. Clay Travis wrote an article on out kick the coverage about us being a possible replacement.

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - FIUFan - 11-19-2012 03:24 PM

(11-19-2012 03:22 PM)Blueraidersig Wrote:  I've heard rumors of MT to the big east. Clay Travis wrote an article on out kick the coverage about us being a possible replacement.

Which is a stronger program; Marshall or MTSU?

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - FAUAEPi - 11-19-2012 03:28 PM

(11-19-2012 03:22 PM)Blueraidersig Wrote:  I've heard rumors of MT to the big east. Clay Travis wrote an article on out kick the coverage about us being a possible replacement.

Yeah, FAU and FIU too...................................................................
07-coffee3

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - Usajags - 11-19-2012 03:29 PM

I've been hearing on the radio that this could spell doom for the Big East and that they might not be around in the next 3-4 years, as a football conference anyway.

It's amazing how you can take the same group of schools that were junk under conference title, yet take that same group and put them under another conference name and they are golden.01-wingedeagle

All conferences seem to be going to 14, that means the Big 12 will need 4 schools, that could demolish all the west of the Mississippi River teams in the BE.

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - GoApps70 - 11-19-2012 03:29 PM

I have seen several Big East fans talking about adding Appalachian State to the Big East, but I don't take much note of it. If MT does go there good luck, sounds like a lot more pegs are going to fall and BE could lose up to 6 additional teams easily.

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - FIUFan - 11-19-2012 03:31 PM

(11-19-2012 03:29 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I've been hearing on the radio that this could spell doom for the Big East and that they might not be around in the next 3-4 years, as a football conference anyway.
It's amazing how you can take the same group of schools that were junk under conference title, yet take that same group and put them under another conference name and they are golden.01-wingedeagle
All conferences seem to be going to 14, that means the Big 12 will need 4 schools, that could demolish all the west of the Mississippi River teams in the BE.

Yep. Nobody should upack their bags for awhile. Just when you thought the music was dying down....up it starts again.

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - Usajags - 11-19-2012 03:32 PM

Next years Big East=this years WAC.03-lmfao

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - OwlFamily - 11-19-2012 03:33 PM

And this move could cause those who havent played a down yet in those new confrences to move again.

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - ThreeifbyLightning - 11-19-2012 03:40 PM

(11-19-2012 03:18 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  The Big East has already lost Rutgers to the Big10 and Louisville appears to be in a tug-of-war between the Big XII and the ACC. The Big East will lose at least one more as the ACC will need to replace Maryland.

This is pretty far off base right now. For starters, the Big East has several other schools on the speed dial you didn't even mention. Namely BYU, Air Force and Fresno. The nBE continues to have interest in expanding more out west.

Further, (and you probably won't hear this from anywhere else) the ACC is actually considering going to 16 right now. They are not going to be able to replace the DMV/Delmarva area with one team (not even UConn which only quasi gets you NY). There are some discussion inside the ACC about adding three to include three of the following Louisville, Cincy, UConn, South Fla and from what I was told a short while ago they are even as desperate to throw West Virginia back on the table. Personally, I think the ACC sticks to 14, but it makes sense for them to add CT/NY, Tampa and either Louisville or Cincinnati markets.

You may also see some nBE schools get cold feet. I'm just saying trying to predict this right now is impossible. Even with as good of connections and contacts that I have I can't tell you what's going to happen tomorrow other than Rutgers will join the Big 10 and UConn at a minimum will probably announce to the ACC.

After that all hell is going to break loose.

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - WKUFan518 - 11-19-2012 03:41 PM

All of this needs to stop....Blow up every conference, get a map out and refigure every conference, haha...

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - Klak - 11-19-2012 03:42 PM

(11-19-2012 03:40 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  

This is pretty far off base right now. For starters, the Big East has several other schools on the speed dial you didn't even mention. Namely BYU, Air Force and Fresno. The nBE continues to have interest in expanding more out west.

Further, (and you probably won't hear this from anywhere else) the ACC is actually considering going to 14 right now. They are not going to be able to replace the DMV/Delmarva area with one team (not even UConn which only quasi gets you NY). There are some discussion inside the ACC about adding three to include three of the following Louisville, Cincy, UConn, South Fla and from what I was told a short while ago they are even as desperate to throw West Virginia back on the table. Personally, I think the ACC sticks to 12, but it makes sense for them to add CT/NY, Tampa and either Louisville or Cincinnati markets.

You may also see some nBE schools get cold feet. I'm just saying trying to predict this right now is impossible. Even with as good of connections and contacts that I have I can't tell you what's going to happen tomorrow other than Rutgers will join the Big 10 and UConn at a minimum will probably announce to the ACC.

ACC is already at 14 with Syracuse and Pitt coming in. Losing UMD drops them to 13.

The rest of your post is accurate, especially the last line.

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - Hammer58 - 11-19-2012 03:43 PM

(11-19-2012 03:41 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  All of this needs to stop....Blow up every conference, get a map out and refigure every conference, haha...

Won't happen because it makes too much sense

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - GoApps70 - 11-19-2012 03:47 PM

(11-19-2012 03:33 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  And this move could cause those who havent played a down yet in those new confrences to move again.

Just read an article similar to what you just said:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/21058110/expansion-fallout-houston-can-get-out-of-deal-with-big-east-without-penalty

Reference UConn to the ACC, there was major oppossition from Boston College to the ACC adding UConn not too long ago.

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - ThreeifbyLightning - 11-19-2012 03:47 PM

(11-19-2012 03:42 PM)Klak Wrote:  
(11-19-2012 03:40 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  

Further, (and you probably won't hear this from anywhere else) the ACC is actually considering going to 14 right now. They are not going to be able to replace the DMV/Delmarva area with one team (not even UConn which only quasi gets you NY). There are some discussion inside the ACC about adding three to include three of the following Louisville, Cincy, UConn, South Fla and from what I was told a short while ago they are even as desperate to throw West Virginia back on the table. Personally, I think the ACC sticks to 12, but it makes sense for them to add CT/NY, Tampa and either Louisville or Cincinnati markets.

ACC is already at 14 with Syracuse and Pitt coming in. Losing UMD drops them to 13.

The rest of your post is accurate, especially the last line.

Sorry, Big 10 on the mind. I meant 16. Will fix.

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - FIUFan - 11-19-2012 04:05 PM

(11-19-2012 03:40 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  This is pretty far off base right now. For starters, the Big East has several other schools on the speed dial you didn't even mention. Namely BYU, Air Force and Fresno. The nBE continues to have interest in expanding more out west.
Further, (and you probably won't hear this from anywhere else) the ACC is actually considering going to 16 right now. They are not going to be able to replace the DMV/Delmarva area with one team (not even UConn which only quasi gets you NY). There are some discussion inside the ACC about adding three to include three of the following Louisville, Cincy, UConn, South Fla and from what I was told a short while ago they are even as desperate to throw West Virginia back on the table. Personally, I think the ACC sticks to 14, but it makes sense for them to add CT/NY, Tampa and either Louisville or Cincinnati markets.

What your writing here adds way to much complexity to the next round of realignment. Adding more schools than you need to replace lost members increases the complexity of your own realignment exponentially.

The easiest move and the model which has been followed (for the most part) on nearly all reactionary realignment has been to replace the same number of lost members with members from a geographically similar location.

Though you're right about the Big East looking west, they've really been a loose cannon during this entire exercise. And you may also be right about certain conferences ultimate goals of moving beyond 14 members. But in general, the lesser conferences have been reactionary to the major conferences proactive moves.

I don't see any of the lesser conferences making bold moves right now. You saw what happened to the WAC when they got uppity and stuck their necks out.

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - WarhawkReport - 11-19-2012 04:11 PM

I really think, short of going to the SEC or the new powerhouse of the Big14 or whatever they call themselves, staying in the SBC is the most move. The Sun Belt will be the new CUSA in the coming years.

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - arkstfan - 11-19-2012 04:17 PM

IMPORTANT TECHNICAL LEGAL POINT.

There has been more than one report saying that Big East has to add one more school west of the Mississippi or it triggers Boise's reduced buyout to leave the Big East. Tulsa may end up in the mix before its all said and done.

RE: Here's how the dominoes fall - Eagleditka - 11-19-2012 04:23 PM

ACC backfills with UConn. If FSU, Clemson, and GT leave, then they add Louisville, Cincinnati, and USF. If the SEC snags VT and NC State? No clue, probably settle at 12 teams. The Big East is going after BYU, Fresno, Air Force, Army, and East Carolina. The Big East has no interest in Marshall. CUSA will target MTSU, WKU, FAU, App State, and ULL. Just my prediction.