CSNbbs
Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT (/thread-566984.html)

Pages: 1 2

Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - KAjunRaider - 04-25-2012 11:35 AM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18825267/source-mtsus-davis-removes-himself-from-consideration-at-southern-miss

Multiple sources on Tuesday told CBSSports.com that Davis was the leading candidate after interviewing in New Orleans on Monday, and another source said "the job was Kermit's if he wanted it" even if it was never officially offered. Ultimately, Davis simply decided to stay at MT, where nine of the top 10 players from a 27-win team will return.

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - TrojanNation - 04-25-2012 11:46 AM

(04-25-2012 11:35 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18825267/source-mtsus-davis-removes-himself-from-consideration-at-southern-miss

Multiple sources on Tuesday told CBSSports.com that Davis was the leading candidate after interviewing in New Orleans on Monday, and another source said "the job was Kermit's if he wanted it" even if it was never officially offered. Ultimately, Davis simply decided to stay at MT, where nine of the top 10 players from a 27-win team will return.

That is what I like to hear!

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - slappycajun - 04-25-2012 11:59 AM

I think that is a very smart move by Kermit Davis. He is very close to the NCAA right now, and another job could open soon. Namely, Ole Miss.

I'm sure Win Case and Monte Towe are upset though.

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - PTJR - 04-25-2012 12:01 PM

(04-25-2012 11:59 AM)slappycajun Wrote:  I think that is a very smart move by Kermit Davis. He is very close to the NCAA right now, and another job could open soon. Namely, Ole Miss.

I'm sure Win Case and Monte Towe are upset though.

Wise choice on Davis' part. Kennedy better do something soon at Ole Miss or he will be out, and Davis would much prefer that job.

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - MTPiKapp - 04-25-2012 12:50 PM

There are many among the Blue Raider faithful who won't be sad to see Kermit go if he puts together another good season next year. Too much disappointment in the first ten seasons for a lot of guys to get behind him long term even after back to back great seasons(if he's able to do it again this year). Personally I'll have mixed feelings about it, because I like the guy personally a lot, but have been burned by the team many times in the past. In the end I'd be happy for him and his family, he would leave us with a program better than the one he inherited(albeit after a decade of only marginal improvement) and hopefully we could hire someone who could take us even further.

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - UofMemphis - 04-25-2012 01:20 PM

i think that's good for USM as well...they need a young guy who can recruit and knows the challenges at USM.

they need to hire Greg Heiar...USM asst coach under LE...164-15 as head coach at Chipola JC...sent 39 players to D-1 schools...current WSU asst coach.

MTSU will be pretty good next season...don't blame him for staying put.

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - CrushMI - 04-25-2012 01:23 PM

In other words, he withdrew his name from consideration because they have already made a decision to hire a different coach...

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - laxtonto - 04-25-2012 01:28 PM

(04-25-2012 01:23 PM)CrushMI Wrote:  In other words, he withdrew his name from consideration because they have already made a decision to hire a different coach...

Actually he is getting more money as well..

Adam Sparks ‏ @AdamSparks

#MTSU coach Kermit Davis getting new deal. Old contract had 2yrs left (1 guaranteed) w/ $160,480 base ... $222,480 total package for 2011-12

Play the game, get paid more... very simple. Even if he wasn't the top candidate, he got a pay raise.

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - dahbeed - 04-25-2012 01:33 PM

kermit davis = dick nutt

*dick nutt did go to ncaa tourney one time. kermit. no.

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - UofMemphis - 04-25-2012 01:42 PM

(04-25-2012 01:23 PM)CrushMI Wrote:  In other words, he withdrew his name from consideration because they have already made a decision to hire a different coach...

i don't believe so...it's straight out of the Calipari rule book...you want a raise? flirt with another school and $$$ will come rolling in.

i don't think he ever had any intention of leaving MTSU...

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - ThreeifbyLightning - 04-25-2012 02:23 PM

(04-25-2012 01:42 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

i don't believe so...it's straight out of the Calipari rule book...you want a raise? flirt with another school and $$$ will come rolling in.

Me either. He definitely played this one by the book.

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - Ole Blue - 04-25-2012 03:51 PM

(04-25-2012 02:23 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  

Me either. He definitely played this one by the book.

Agreed. I saw this coming from the start of the whole USM saga. (And I was right.)

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - dahbeed - 04-25-2012 04:02 PM

one thing it shows for sure. usm is a joke about hoops if k-frawg was their number 1 priority.

i guess we also see where cusa stands post memphis. could care less about hoops.

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - CrushMI - 04-25-2012 05:31 PM

I don't believe USM ever had any intentions of hiring Kermie...Kermie or his agent properly floated his name and he turned it into a raise from MT although I don't believe he ever had a legit shot at USM.

The rule of thumb among coaches is to withdraw from consideration after they have already made the decision, but not yet announced.

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - Thegoldstandard - 04-25-2012 11:12 PM

(04-25-2012 05:31 PM)CrushMI Wrote:  

I don't believe USM ever had any intentions of hiring Kermie...Kermie or his agent properly floated his name and he turned it into a raise from MT although I don't believe he ever had a legit shot at USM.

The rule of thumb among coaches is to withdraw from consideration after they have already made the decision, but not yet announced.

^^^^^^ ding ding ding
He was not in the top 5

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - TrojanCampaign - 04-26-2012 01:42 AM

Why would you leave Middle for USM? That is such a lateral move and could actually be a downgrade career wise. Middle has a great team for next year and should not lose many games in conference play. As much as conference USA fans don't want to admit they are slowly on track to become a one bid league in basketball also with the loss of Memphis and possibly UTEP.

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - TampaKnight - 04-26-2012 01:53 AM

Might be because MTSU might be jumping ship to join the alliance with FIU.

03-shhhh

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - MT FAN - 04-26-2012 07:14 AM

From the Nashville City Paper.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/sports/five-year-extension-keeps-kermit-davis-mtsu-foreseeable-future

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - RaiderDoug - 04-26-2012 08:06 AM

12 months ago, most MT fans would have liked to see Davis run out of town.

I don't know if he's that good of a coach, but man did he pick one heck of a time to get lucky with his best team ever. I hope he donates some of that to Laron Dendy.

RE: Kermit turns down Southern Miss, stays at MT - dahbeed - 04-26-2012 11:04 AM

(04-26-2012 08:06 AM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  12 months ago, most MT fans would have liked to see Davis run out of town.

I don't know if he's that good of a coach, but man did he pick one heck of a time to get lucky with his best team ever. I hope he donates some of that to Laron Dendy.

good post. players make coaches.....to some extent. you still need to be able to stay out of the way and not screw it up.

when ken mcdummy won the sun belt tourney his first year and then won an ncaa tourney game it kicked in a 100k raise. the first year.

when we were leaving hot springs i said he needed to kick a bunch of money straigh to orlando mendez-valdez because that's who won the tourney with the help of aj slaughter.

i heard this story straight up from a kid that played at middle. he said by the end of the year all the players on the team HATED kermit's guts.

this was not last year...maybe about 5 years ago. and players don't have to love the coach. i get that you can have good cop/bad cop in the coaching staff. but it would explain why middle really hasn't done anything until last year.

middle never SUCKED in my opinion. neither did dick nutt's teams at asu. too good to just flat out fire. not really good enough to really hold on to.

dendy was a huge difference maker in my opinion. i know middle has a ton coming back next year. let's see if they have another 'dendy-type' season or another 'kermit-type' season.