CSNbbs
Why is ULL so damn cheap? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Why is ULL so damn cheap? (/thread-501630.html)

Why is ULL so damn cheap? - lmckay92 - 06-26-2011 12:47 AM

A local friend of mine (she's a Louisiana native) is going to ULL this fall. She was telling me about how much tuition was, and I couldn't even believe it.

I thought Marshall was a cheap school at ~$5500 in-state and something like $8000 out-of-state. The dorms are around $9000 or something ridiculous though. ULL is like $3000 with $2000 dorms. WHAT GIVES? IS ULM THIS CHEAP?

RE: Why is ULL so damn cheap? - tcufrog86 - 06-26-2011 06:38 AM

I have a lot of friends that went to undergrad in Louisiana that are Louisiana natives and they talk about something that if you graduate from a Louisiana high school and have certain academic performance and test scores then there is a state scholarship program that really helps pay for college. I think it is TAPS or TOPS or something like that.

RE: Why is ULL so damn cheap? - lmckay92 - 06-26-2011 06:43 AM

West Virginia has something like that. It used to cover all of Marshall's tuition but now it's like 90%. It's called the PROMISE Scholarship. I have it.

RE: Why is ULL so damn cheap? - Geaux Cajuns - 06-26-2011 08:02 AM

[quote='lmckay92' pid='6603231' dateline='1309067268']
A local friend of mine (she's a Louisiana native) is going to ULL this fall. She was telling me about how much tuition was, and I couldn't even believe it.

I thought Marshall was a cheap school at ~$5500 in-state and something like $8000 out-of-state. The dorms are around $9000 or something ridiculous though. ULL is like $3000 with $2000 dorms. WHAT GIVES? IS ULM THIS CHEAP?
[/quote/]

ULM is actually about 200-300 dollars cheaper per semester than UL. But the main reason tuition in Louisiana is so cheap is because the schools are not allowed to set their own tuition rates. They must be approved by the Board of Regents and then approved by the Legislature. Louisiana is/has/always will be a welfare state. It is the opinion of the people of Louisiana that their be a 4 year public institution in every city. That is the reason that a state with a population base of approximately 4.5 million people have 12 four year public universities.

RE: Why is ULL so damn cheap? - techdawg88 - 06-26-2011 08:58 AM

Except for Tulane and LSU, Louisiana is really cheap when it comes to tuition. A lot of people came to LaTech from Texas and said it's cheaper for them to come to Tech than it would've had they stayed in state

RE: Why is ULL so damn cheap? - InjunJohn - 06-26-2011 09:23 AM

(06-26-2011 08:02 AM)Geaux Cajuns Wrote:  [quote='lmckay92' pid='6603231' dateline='1309067268']

[/quote/]

ULM is actually about 200-300 dollars cheaper per semester than UL. But the main reason tuition in Louisiana is so cheap is because the schools are not allowed to set their own tuition rates. They must be approved by the Board of Regents and then approved by the Legislature. Louisiana is/has/always will be a welfare state. It is the opinion of the people of Louisiana that their be a 4 year public institution in every city. That is the reason that a state with a population base of approximately 4.5 million people have 12 four year public universities.

I imagine it comes from the Longs (Huey and Earl) and that mentality. Remember, those were times for populous politicians and that played well to the poor of the state, especially during the depression and continues.

RE: Why is ULL so damn cheap? - WinstonTheWolf - 06-26-2011 01:35 PM

(06-26-2011 08:02 AM)Geaux Cajuns Wrote:  Louisiana is/has/always will be a welfare state. It is the opinion of the people of Louisiana that their be a 4 year public institution in every city. That is the reason that a state with a population base of approximately 4.5 million people have 12 four year public universities.

For what it's worth Arkansas only has 2.9 million people but it has 10 public four year universities.

http://www.adhe.edu/Pages/home.aspx

5 of them are D1

RE: Why is ULL so damn cheap? - lmckay92 - 06-26-2011 06:17 PM

(06-26-2011 08:58 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  Except for Tulane and LSU, Louisiana is really cheap when it comes to tuition. A lot of people came to LaTech from Texas and said it's cheaper for them to come to Tech than it would've had they stayed in state

WVU is a good example of that in our state. Only 55% of WVU students are from West Virginia. The others are from Pennsylvania and New Jersey. (Marshall is 87% West Virginians and older than WVU. Which is the true University of West Virginia?)

West Virginia has an inordinate amount of schools as well. 1.8 million people and we have Marshall, WVU, West Virginia State, Fairmont State, Shepard, Concord, Glenville State, WVU Tech, Bluefield State, and West Liberty.

Ten schools. It's silly.

RE: Why is ULL so damn cheap? - tcufrog86 - 06-26-2011 08:17 PM

(06-26-2011 06:17 PM)lmckay92 Wrote:  
(06-26-2011 08:58 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  Except for Tulane and LSU, Louisiana is really cheap when it comes to tuition. A lot of people came to LaTech from Texas and said it's cheaper for them to come to Tech than it would've had they stayed in state

WVU is a good example of that in our state. Only 55% of WVU students are from West Virginia. The others are from Pennsylvania and New Jersey. (Marshall is 87% West Virginians and older than WVU. Which is the true University of West Virginia?)

West Virginia has an inordinate amount of schools as well. 1.8 million people and we have Marshall, WVU, West Virginia State, Fairmont State, Shepard, Concord, Glenville State, WVU Tech, Bluefield State, and West Liberty.

Ten schools. It's silly.

Then on the other side you have states like Arizona with almost 7 million people and only three 4-year public universities.

There are a lot of states though that could probably benefit from closing the doors at some of their public universities, it is just very hard to do because every public university serves a role and is valuable to the community that it is in.

RE: Why is ULL so damn cheap? - lmckay92 - 06-26-2011 10:04 PM

(06-26-2011 08:17 PM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  

Ten schools. It's silly.

Then on the other side you have states like Arizona with almost 7 million people and only three 4-year public universities.

There are a lot of states though that could probably benefit from closing the doors at some of their public universities, it is just very hard to do because every public university serves a role and is valuable to the community that it is in.

Honestly, the only schools worth a **** in WV are Marshall, WVU, Concord, Shepard and MAYBE Glenville.

One thing I dislike about our state (among many other things) is that we don't really have an elite university. We don't have anything like UNC-Chapel Hill in North Carolina or Miami (OH). Marshall and WVU are good, typical public schools. That's it.

RE: Why is ULL so damn cheap? - pilot172000 - 06-27-2011 07:36 AM

The biggest problem is that a lot of students get a quality education for pennies on the dollar only to haul tail to TX. The minute they get that diploma. I'm not complaining about paying so little for the great education I received, but it does make you wonder why so many schools are underfunded in this state.

RE: Why is ULL so damn cheap? - Geaux Cajuns - 06-27-2011 09:43 PM

(06-26-2011 10:04 PM)lmckay92 Wrote:  

Ten schools. It's silly.

Honestly, the only schools worth a **** in WV are Marshall, WVU, Concord, Shepard and MAYBE Glenville.

One thing I dislike about our state (among many other things) is that we don't really have an elite university. We don't have anything like UNC-Chapel Hill in North Carolina or Miami (OH). Marshall and WVU are good, typical public schools. That's it.

Miami (OH) is a private school. But the reason we have crappy rated schools is because we have too many mouths to feed and LSU keeps the other universities down with the "Flagship" status.

RE: Why is ULL so damn cheap? - mufanatehc - 06-28-2011 10:06 AM

(06-27-2011 09:43 PM)Geaux Cajuns Wrote:  
(06-26-2011 10:04 PM)lmckay92 Wrote:  

Ten schools. It's silly.

Miami (OH) is a private school. But the reason we have crappy rated schools is because we have too many mouths to feed and LSU keeps the other universities down with the "Flagship" status.

Little Miami is public.

RE: Why is ULL so damn cheap? - lmckay92 - 06-28-2011 11:47 AM

Yeah, Miami is a public school. It's considered a "public Ivy" though. I hate the *******, but it's a great school.