CSNbbs
Football Class of 2013 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Football Class of 2013 (/thread-500396.html)

Football Class of 2013 - Bearhawkeye - 06-14-2011 01:29 PM

As was mentioned in the already cluttered 2012 thread, we might as well start a 2013 thread. I know there are other offers out there, here's a new one from the same school as UC 2011 commit Alex Chisum and 2012 offeree Mike Hilton:

Quote:2013 Sandy Creek HS, GA DB Shaq Wiggins said he landed his first offers from Cincinnati, Ohio and Ball State. He said he felt like Ohio State could be next. Wiggins played at Westlake HS last season.

DB Shaq Wiggins

RE: Football Class of 2013 - Bearhawkeye - 06-15-2011 08:54 AM

2013 QB Malik Zaire recevied an offer from UC per Scout. He's 6-1 190 and plays for Kettering Alter HS, OH. Looks like UC is his first offer.

RE: Football Class of 2013 - ucbearcat1981 - 06-15-2011 09:13 AM

(06-15-2011 08:54 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  2013 QB Malik Zaire recevied an offer from UC per Scout. He's 6-1 190 and plays for Kettering Alter HS, OH. Looks like UC is his first offer.

Malik is a great kid. I threw with him a few weeks ago. He has a very nice ball with a tight spiral. Has better than overage arm strength. He's looked at as an athlete by many, but he insists on playing quarterback. I see Dominic Goodman all over again.

RE: Football Class of 2013 - Bearhawkeye - 10-08-2011 03:39 PM

This thread's been kinda neglected, but I'll go ahead and throw in a couple of more names rather than starting new threads for them this early.

First is Dayton LB Darrien Howard who has a UC offer and sounds like a definite keeper with mutual interest based upon:

Quote:Darrien Howard a natural on defense
By Jared Shanker
ESPN Recruiting

If it wasn't for Darrien Howard, Dayton (Ohio) Chaminade-Julienne linebacker Ja'mel Sanders might be the one with the Cincinnati offer instead of his junior linebacker mate.

"He steals all my tackles," Sanders said jokingly. "I'll be there to make the tackle and he sweeps in and takes my tackle.

"He's amazing on the field."

Darrien Howard has an offer from Cincinnati and is getting interest from Alabama, Florida, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State and Oregon.
Howard is the Eagles' leader at defensive, physically and emotionally. Starting at middle linebacker, the junior directs the entire defense. Eagles coach Marcus Colvin said Howard is one of the smartest players he's ever coached and knows what everybody on the defense is supposed to be doing on a given play, not just himself.

Howard's dad may have been a skill position player back during his playing days at Akron, but the 6-foot-1, 250-pound Howard was born to play middle linebacker.

"Being able to move from sideline to sideline, it's like freedom," Howard said of playing inside. "I like being that close to the trenches, having to play with my hands, getting off blocks -- I love it.

"In seventh and eighth grade I played outside and I went back to middle. I liked outside, but dang I didn't like it that much."

Colvin said Howard is one of the most impressive athletes he has seen during his eight-year tenure as a coach at Julienne, where he started out as an assistant before being named the head coach this past April.

Prior to Howard's freshman season, the coaching staff took the Eagles to an off-site camp for a few days to kick off preseason practices. Before getting to the camp, the plan was to put Howard on the junior varsity team and let him adjust to the high school game. Howard was so physically imposing, though, that the coaching staff had to put Howard on the varsity team.

That is something very few players have ever done at Julienne, including former Eagles running back Javon Ringer, who starred at Michigan State and is now with the NFL's Tennessee Titans.

It didn't take long for Howard to prove to the staff he belonged on varsity, as he racked up double-digit tackles against a team three classifications higher than the Eagles.

When it comes to the actual game, Howard doesn't remember much from it. He still distinctly remembers his nerves before it, though.

"I couldn't sit still, my eyes were huge," Howard said with a smile. "I didn't know how to handle the pressure. So all I could do is what I was taught to do, and it worked out for me."

As if that isn't impressive enough, Howard won the team's defensive MVP award that season as a freshman.

"I've never had that," Colvin said.

He'll also be Colvin's first player as head coach to play at a BCS school. Cincinnati has already offered the Dayton product and some of the country's top programs have already begun mailing Howard. Colvin jokes about how his inbox is loaded every morning with letters with Howard's name on them from colleges.

Alabama, Florida, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State and Oregon are some of the programs already showing Howard a lot of interest. Howard will visit Alabama in the summer for its camp, and he will visit Cincinnati, Kentucky and Tennessee this fall.

With the exception of camps, Cincinnati is the only school Howard has already visited.

"I got a lot during spring practices, and it's very intense up there," Howard said. "The drills they do with the linebackers and their team, all the contact, I love it."

Indy Warren Central OT Dwayne Brown doesn't mention UC here and doesn't seem to have the body type (6-4 330) UC usually targets for OL, but he does talk about going against UC commit Posley every day and I gotta believe we'd like to have him too:

Quote:2013 OT Brown enjoys first college game
Indianapolis Warren Central junior offensive tackle Dwayne Brown will be one of the top Class of 2013 players in Indiana, and he went to his first college game two weekends ago.

Brown visited Kentucky for its game against Florida and enjoyed the atmosphere.

"We didn't get to talk to the coaches a lot, but it was a good game," Brown said. "It was my first college football game and a great experience."

On Friday, Brown went up against Kentucky commit and three-star defensive end prospect Langston Newton and held his own.

"I had some good plays, I had some bad plays," Brown said. "We went at it.

"But I'm used to that going up against (teammate and Cincinnat commit) Josh Posley every day. So it's nothing new to me."

Indiana is showing some early interest in Brown, too, and a couple of his teammates are committed to the Hoosiers. Senior linebacker Jordan Wallace and senior receiver Kevin Davis will be playing in Bloomington next fall.

"They're trying to build a great class," Brown said. "With Gunner Kiel, Shawn Heffern, they're bringing in a lot of talent. They're trying to change the tradition."

ESPN Midwest Recruiting 2013

RE: Football Class of 2013 - Bearhawkeye - 10-08-2011 03:48 PM

(06-15-2011 09:13 AM)ucbearcat1981 Wrote:  
(06-15-2011 08:54 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  2013 QB Malik Zaire recevied an offer from UC per Scout. He's 6-1 190 and plays for Kettering Alter HS, OH. Looks like UC is his first offer.

Malik is a great kid. I threw with him a few weeks ago. He has a very nice ball with a tight spiral. Has better than overage arm strength. He's looked at as an athlete by many, but he insists on playing quarterback. I see Dominic Goodman all over again.

A little more on Zaire:

Quote:Alter QB getting scholarship offers from major D-I schools
By Marc F. Pendleton, Staff Writer
11:13 AM Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Among his many attributes, Alter QB Malik Zaire may well be the only area football player ever to receive a college athletic scholarship offer without ever starting a varsity game.

The junior landed an offer from Cincinnati last July following an outstanding camp at UC. He has since received an offer from Wisconsin.

According to ScoutingOhio.com, he also has drawn interest from Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan State.

Zaire didn’t start until this season, as a junior. He’s helped lead the Knights to a 6-0 record and No. 2 ranking in the state Division IV poll. Alter plays Carroll at West Carrollton Junior High in the DDN Game of the Week on Friday.

Zaire, 6 feet 1, 185 pounds, is a rare combination of fleet feet and accurate passing ability. He prepped at Precious Blood Catholic School in Trotwood and backed up former Alter starting QB Zane Pitzer for two seasons.

Zaire

RE: Football Class of 2013 - UCbball21 - 10-11-2011 12:18 AM

So who are some of the top local prospects in the Cincinnati area for 2013? I know Chris Davis out of Colerain and Trey Kilgore out of X are supposed to be very highly recruited but I don't really know of anyone else. I would really like to see Cincy start beating out OSU, ND, Michigan, and the SEC schools for the top tier Cincy prospects.

RE: Football Class of 2013 - Bearhawkeye - 10-19-2011 04:53 AM

Zaire offered by OSU:

Quote:Ohio State is the latest program to weigh in with an offer to Alter High School junior quarterback Malik Zaire. He heard from the Buckeyes last week.

Cincinnati was the first to offer Zaire a scholarship last summer. Wisconsin soon followed.

The left-hander is coming off perhaps his best game in last week’s 35-17 second-half blitz at Fenwick. He completed just 3 of 6 passes for a score but he ran for three more scores.

The Knights will take an 8-0 record into Thursday’s 7 p.m. game at Cincinnati Roger Bacon (3-5). The contest is this week’s featured game on Fox Sports Ohio.

The game can be seen live on Time Warner Cable channels 29 and 309. Also, it can be heard on FoxSportsOhio.com and as usual, ohiosportsline.net. Former Bengals announcer Brad Johansen will team with Dave Lapham on the broadcast. Jeff Piecoro is the sideline reporter.

OSU offers Zaire

RE: Football Class of 2013 - eroc - 10-19-2011 08:11 AM

(10-19-2011 04:53 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  Zaire offered by OSU:

Quote:Ohio State is the latest program to weigh in with an offer to Alter High School junior quarterback Malik Zaire. He heard from the Buckeyes last week.

Cincinnati was the first to offer Zaire a scholarship last summer. Wisconsin soon followed.

The left-hander is coming off perhaps his best game in last week’s 35-17 second-half blitz at Fenwick. He completed just 3 of 6 passes for a score but he ran for three more scores.

The Knights will take an 8-0 record into Thursday’s 7 p.m. game at Cincinnati Roger Bacon (3-5). The contest is this week’s featured game on Fox Sports Ohio.

The game can be seen live on Time Warner Cable channels 29 and 309. Also, it can be heard on FoxSportsOhio.com and as usual, ohiosportsline.net. Former Bengals announcer Brad Johansen will team with Dave Lapham on the broadcast. Jeff Piecoro is the sideline reporter.

OSU offers Zaire

Some of the posts on twitter referenced a Dayton area 2013 QB who was in attendance for the UL game and just received an $uckeye$ offer. This might be our mystery man. Holds an offer from Wisky as well.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ohiostate/football/recruiting/player-Malik-Zaire-132420

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5520026

RE: Football Class of 2013 - cinbinsportsfan - 10-19-2011 08:38 AM

Here's last year's highlight video:

Really good arm strength and has great vision in the run. Would work well in UC's offense but I don't really understand the OSU/Wisky offers. He doesn't look like a prototypical drop-back QB.

RE: Football Class of 2013 - Marcus - 10-19-2011 09:22 AM

Interesting article right here on Class of '13 LB Ryan Rankin from Florida. It looks like he's going to be a pretty highly recruited kid. And he has UC currently #2 on his list and has a lot of ties to UC as well.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-recriuting-orlando-east-river-ryne-rankin-loves-tennessee-20111018,0,7734313.story

For Orlando East River LB Ryne Rankin, you can't spell love without VOL

Ryne Rankin, 2013 LB, Orlando East River (CHRIS HAYS/ORLANDO SENTINEL)
Countdown to Super60: No. 8, Ryne Rankin, LB, Orlando East River
Orlando Sentinel's 2012 Central Florida Super60

By Chris Hays | Orlando Sentinel

9:09 a.m. EDT, October 18, 2011
When it comes time for the 2013 University of Tennessee football team pictures, just tell Ryne Rankin where to stand. He has a vision.

When he visited the campus for an unofficial trip Oct. 1 – his birthday – to take in the Buffalo game, he wanted to jump out on the field. Rankin, 6-foot-1, 219 pounds, is just a junior at Orlando East River and though he has no offers yet, tell him where to sign and the Vols have a linebacker for life.

“Everything is amazing up there,” says Rankin, who has been to the Knoxville campus three times, once just passing through, once for a camp with teammate OL Adam Duckett (6-8, 330) and the third time for the Buffalo game as an unofficial guest.

“The facilities are amazing, the atmosphere is great, all the coaches are great. The city is really cool and it’s on the river … like a good ole country town. I can see myself going there and doing well.”

He’s certainly doing well at East River, playing for his father, head coach Marc, and grandfather, assistant coach John, young Ryne is tearing up offenses all over Orange County Florida.

Not that it’s his goal to hurt people, but he’s already put two players out with concussions this season, the last being big, tough Orlando Timber Creek running back Kyle Snead, who should return to play this week when the Wolves take on Orlando University (1-1, 4-3) in a Class 8A, District 3 matchup.

Rankin had 22 tackles in the Falcons’ game against Snead and Timber Creek, but those numbers weren’t quite as impressive as the numbers on the scoreboard, that read 20-14 in favor of the rival Wolves. That put Timber Creek (1-0, 4-2) and Winter Park (1-0, 3-3) atop the 8A-3 district standings at 1-0 each. East River (1-1, 4-2) faces Winter Park on Friday.

“Yeah, 22 tackles, but we lost,” Rankin said. “We shouldn’t have lost that game. We didn’t play very well, but we just have to win the rest of our district games now.”

Though official numbers have not been tallied, Rankin had another 15-plus tackles this past Friday in a 28-14 non-district win over Oviedo. He averaged 11 tackles per game as a sophomore, but those numbers are up in 2011.

A close second on Rankin’s college list is the University of Cincinnati, which is where his dad was a linebacker (1988, 1990-91).

“It plays a big part,” Rankin says of his father being a former Bearcat. “We’ve got family up there on my mom’s side, so having family up there is kinda cool. … plus they got good chili up there.”

Rankin also keeps in contact with a few other schools via assistant coach Jeep Hunter at South Carolina, assistant coach Joe Speed at Georgia Tech and also the coaches at USF.

But everything still points to Tennessee, who’s recruiting contacts for Rankin are former UCF quarterback Darin Hinshaw, in his second season as the Vols’ quarterbacks coach, as well as Harry Hiestand, Tennessee’s offensive line coach who was an assistant coach at Cincinnati when Marc Rankin played for the Bearcats.

“It’s loud (at the UT games) and I like it. It was a very unique experience,” Rankin said of his trip to see the Buffalo game. “They run out the tunnel and then they form the big ‘T’ and everyone is all hyped up. It’s a really cool experience. I wanted to jump down there and run out that tunnel.

“When you go there and watch that stuff it just makes you want to try harder than you already do to get where you want to go. I always try my best no matter what I do, but it makes me want to work harder to go up there and play for them.”

Don’t think coach Derek Dooley and staff isn’t already aware of Rankin’s intentions.

“Yeah, I’ve told them. They were excited. They know it’s early in the process and they still want to keep evaluating me,” Rankin said. “I told them if they offered me, I’d go there no matter what.

“I know they’re interested in me. I know they offered a few linebackers, but I’m hoping to see something toward the end of the football season.”

The Vols have actually offered nine linebackers for the 2013 class, once of which is already committed to Auburn in Trey Johnson of Lawrenceville, Ga. Every prospect offered so far is taller than Rankin's 6-1 frame, with the exception of Johnson, also 6-1.

So Rankin is aware that it’s not all downhill for him. He still wants to get better, especially since he can’t get any bigger.

“They wish I was two or three inches taller, but that happens,” Rankin said of his height. “They just want me to keep playing my heart out. They said they like the way I come up to fill the gaps and that I’m not scared of contact.

No one has ever accused Rankin of that.

“They know I catch them wild hogs, too. They think that’s a little crazy.”

It takes being a little crazy to be the type of linebacker Rankin is. His pastime of hunting and fishing with teammate Duckett just keeps him busy outside the lines.

“We just go out in the woods and hunt the wild hogs. Right here in Orange County, over near Christmas (Fla.),” Rankin said. “We just do it for fun, but then we bring them home and butcher them up. The meat is real good and a lot of times we give the meat to homeless people and stuff like that.”

Rankin hasn’t heard a lot from Florida schools just yet, but he also hasn’t been selling himself to stay in the Sunshine State.

“I would go to Florida schools, but I just want to do something new,” Rankin said. “I’ve pretty much been here in Florida my whole life. I want to go somewhere and experience something new, instead of saying I lived in Florida my whole life.

“There’s a lot more to life than just Bithlo.”

Chris Hays is the Sentinel's recruiting coverage coordinator and can be reached at chays@tribune.com.

RE: Football Class of 2013 - cinbinsportsfan - 10-19-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:plus they got good chili up there.”

Kid knows his stuff!

RE: Football Class of 2013 - Marcus - 10-19-2011 09:42 AM

(10-19-2011 09:33 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  
Quote:plus they got good chili up there.”

Kid knows his stuff!

LOL I thought that was a great quote.

RE: Football Class of 2013 - Bearhawkeye - 10-28-2011 03:39 AM

From an article on the best juniors in Michigan:

Quote:Athlete Wyatt Shallman of Detroit Catholic Central High School:A big athlete at 6-foot-4, 245-pounds, the Spartan staff would like to see Shallman on campus so they can evaluate him and determine what position he projects best at. Michigan and Cincinnati have already offered him.

Recruiting: In-state Class of 2013 already picking up offers

RE: Football Class of 2013 - cinbinsportsfan - 10-28-2011 09:46 AM

Cameron Dillard profile
Michigan interior lineman shows interest

Not sure why he's saying he'd be a replacement for OT Sean Hooey in the future. Looks like he played tackle up until his sophomore year and now he's playing guard? Or projects to guard? I dunno. He does well exploding through his defender and sealing off running lanes. It looks like his school runs an option-type offense so they don't pass a lot. He'll have to get used to the spread/zone at Cincinnati:

RE: Football Class of 2013 - Bearhawkeye - 10-28-2011 02:59 PM

(10-28-2011 09:46 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Cameron Dillard profile
Michigan interior lineman shows interest

Not sure why he's saying he'd be a replacement for OT Sean Hooey in the future. Looks like he played tackle up until his sophomore year and now he's playing guard? Or projects to guard? I dunno. He does well exploding through his defender and sealing off running lanes. It looks like his school runs an option-type offense so they don't pass a lot. He'll have to get used to the spread/zone at Cincinnati:

Dillard also made the list of best juniors in Michigan but his brief profile didn't mention UC:

Quote:Offensive lineman Cameron Dillard of Canton High School:The 6-foot-3, 285-pound lineman is having a strong junior season for Canton High School and is getting multiple Big Ten looks. He already has been offered by Eastern Michigan. Dillard has made huge strides over the past year and could be highly recruited this spring.

RE: Football Class of 2013 - CincyBearcatFan86 - 10-30-2011 02:11 PM

Do we really have a shot at Malik Zaire? or even Jalin Marshall? Does UC have a very good shot to get any of the top50 players in Ohio for the 2013 class? what about the top 10 players in cincinnati? I hope we can start bring in top GUYS in the state...

RE: Football Class of 2013 - eroc - 11-04-2011 02:49 PM

Per Mike Dyer:

Quote:UC offers Moeller junior running back Keith Watkins
3:30 pm, Nov 4, 2011 | Written by mdyer | 0 Comments |

Moeller junior running back Keith Watkins was offered by UC on Thursday, according to Moeller coach John Rodenberg.

It is the first offer for Watkins, who is 6 foot and 175 pounds. Watkins, a second-team all-GCL South selection this season, has rushed for 625 yards and 22 touchdowns this season. He has 23 receptions for 166 yards and four touchdowns.

Moeller plays host to Sycamore at Lockland Saturday night in a Division I regional quarterfinal game.

RE: Football Class of 2013 - Racinejake - 11-10-2011 01:44 PM

Good, free article from BCL on some of the 2013 recruits who will be in attendance this weekend.

"A few official visitors are confirmed, but UC coaches are also looking towards the Class of 2013. To that end WR Shelton Gibson, LB Zach Higginbotham, LB Cameron Kohl, WR Dorien Hudson, QB Austin Ernst, and others are confirmed."

http://cincinnati.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1290580

RE: Football Class of 2013 - Marcus - 11-10-2011 02:12 PM

(10-30-2011 02:11 PM)CincyBearcatFan86 Wrote:  Do we really have a shot at Malik Zaire? or even Jalin Marshall? Does UC have a very good shot to get any of the top50 players in Ohio for the 2013 class? what about the top 10 players in cincinnati? I hope we can start bring in top GUYS in the state...

I've seen Malik Zaire and I'm shocked he's as rated as high as he is by 247 in the junior class. I was not impressed at all with him. He just looked like another high school player to me. It's laughable that he's rated ahead of some of those Louisville Trinity juniors who would run circles around him.

RE: Football Class of 2013 - cinbinsportsfan - 11-10-2011 02:13 PM

Recruiting never ends. Nice list of visitors.