CSNbbs
Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SoConbbs (/forum-266.html)
+---- Forum: SoCon Team Talk (/forum-944.html)
+----- Forum: ETSU (/forum-335.html)
+------ Forum: Buc Football (/forum-340.html)
+------ Thread: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway (/thread-482468.html)

Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - Mister Jennings - 02-20-2011 01:51 AM

I don't think ETSU is making proper use of alumnus Kenny Chesney. He does more for Tennessee than ETSU.... and the beat goes on.

In a crowded Tennessee theater last night, country singer Kenny Chesney debuted his new football documentary The Color Orange: The Condredge Holloway Story–a movie so emotionally powerful that Peyton Manning, who attended the premiere, cried as he watched the film. Condredge Holloway, far left, was Chesney’s childhood hero. He was also the first black starting quarterback in the Southeastern Conference.

According to the Great American Country blog:

You don’t have to be a Tennessee fan or even a football fan to be moved by the story of a man who was denied the chance to play quarterback at school after school because of his skin color. One by one, those who wore orange after Condredge stood to address him, Kenny, director Shaun Silva and ESPN’s John Dahl after the film. Peyton Manning confessed to having tears in his eyes as he watched the film.

Watch a snapshot of the documentary here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGeeKb7RL4&feature=player_embedded

RE: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - etsubuc - 02-20-2011 10:13 AM

If Tennessee is Kenny's favorite team, what would you expect? And how can ETSU "use" him? Just because someone graduates or attends a particular university does not give that school the right to demand or expect anything from them. Instead, we have to be a pleasant experience while he is here; so that he will come back, etc.

RE: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - straightfromthehorsesmouth - 02-20-2011 10:30 AM

It's good for little kids to have role model's like this... that's the power of TV and of football as a source of social change. Here's another more in-depth interview on ESPN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I22c9CKahQs&NR=1

Interestingly enough, Tennessee was one of the LAST to actually integrate it's program and Neyland only gave in to the pressure to get UT integrated. He wanted nothing to do with having Blacks in his athletic program. He actually stopped an SEC track meet when another SEC school brought in Black athletes to compete.

There's some real ugly truth behind the Tennessee Vols-General Neyland legend. Thank goodness they finally "gave in" to the times.

RE: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - straightfromthehorsesmouth - 02-20-2011 10:44 AM

It's still Black History Month, so perhaps we could all use some good football sport history in conjunction. Any public library can grab these for you on the Inter-Library loan (ILL).
In case you are looking for some good reading:

Demas, Lane.
Title Integrating the gridiron : Black civil rights and American college football / Lane Demas.

Martin, Charles H., 1945-
Title Benching Jim Crow : the rise and fall of the color line in southern college sports, 1890-1980 / Charles H. Martin.

Higher education and the civil rights movement : white supremacy, black Southerners, and college campuses / edited by Peter Wallenstein ; foreword by Stanley Harrold and Randall M. Miller.
Imprint Gainesville : University Press of Florida, c2008.

RE: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - bucfan81 - 02-20-2011 11:06 AM

(02-20-2011 10:13 AM)etsubuc Wrote:  If Tennessee is Kenny's favorite team, what would you expect? And how can ETSU "use" him? Just because someone graduates or attends a particular university does not give that school the right to demand or expect anything from them. Instead, we have to be a pleasant experience while he is here; so that he will come back, etc.

And we would at least have to give him a FOOTBALL program to get behind and show some support for. Right now those beautiful Fall afternoons on the ETSU campus are bleak with nothing to do. Sixteen thousand students and no marching band, no pep rallies, no tail gating, no banners and no fun. The only public school in Tennessee lie that. Sad.

RE: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - Mister Jennings - 02-20-2011 05:31 PM

straightfromthehorsesmouth.... I've been around Tennessee football for a long time Straight....and I never heard about Neyland's racism...never thought about the subject. I'm sure if I were an African American... it would be one of the first subjects I would think about. That's what Holloway did...he went to a coach that gave him a chance.

Thanks Straight for opening my eyes. The name Neyland Stadium will never be as powerful or romantic again. It now has a scar. It was the culture at the time...but great people see the injustice and stand against it no matter what the culture is doing.

I've seen racism as a student at ETSU. I have no idea about where John Robert Bell, Madison Brooks were with racism.

Racism would be eliminated if the golden rule is always applied.

Two things I like better about our culture now... racism doesn't seem to be easily tolerated and smokers are no longer allowed to pollute personal breathing space. Most everything else I like better from the 50s where life was simple and people seemed to have a healthy respect for one another. Shoot...they even had balanced budgets under Eisenhower.

RE: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - straightfromthehorsesmouth - 02-20-2011 05:56 PM

(02-20-2011 05:31 PM)Mister Jennings Wrote:  straightfromthehorsesmouth.... I've been around Tennessee football for a long time Straight....and I never heard about Neyland's racism...never thought about the subject. I'm sure if I were an African American... it would be one of the first subjects I would think about. That's what Holloway did...he went to a coach that gave him a chance.

Thanks Straight for opening my eyes. The name Neyland Stadium will never be as powerful or romantic again. It now has a scar. It was the culture at the time...but great people see the injustice and stand against it no matter what the culture is doing.

I've seen racism as a student at ETSU. I have no idea about where John Robert Bell, Madison Brooks were with racism.

Racism would be eliminated if the golden rule is always applied.

Two things I like better about our culture now... racism doesn't seem to be easily tolerated and smokers are no longer allowed to pollute personal breathing space. Most everything else I like better from the 50s where life was simple and people seemed to have a healthy respect for one another. Shoot...they even had balanced budgets under Eisenhower.

I was very disheartened when I read about Neyland's opposition to integrating the UT programs. The information was from a dissertation that was done interviewing the first Black players at UT. They did not have a good story to tell, it was quite bad, in fact.

I know both Jim Jordan and Johnny Russo that were the first Black football players. Johnny gets the credit for being the first Black player with football because Jimmy redshirted, but they were roommates. I had the chance to talk to Jim about how his experiences and they were very, very different that what his hometown friends from Alcoa had experienced at other schools (one friend was the first Black player at UT who ended up leaving school because of the treatment). He said from Day One, it was like family at ETSC and that Coach Bell and the other coaches were like fathers to them. He became friends with people that he never thought would ever befriend him in any other context and they have remainded friends. He said he made the right decision in coming to ETSC and was glad that his experience was like it was because it shaped him in his future career.

Very enlightening.

RE: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - Mister Jennings - 02-20-2011 07:42 PM

Very enlightening.
[/quote]

Very encouraging. It seems that Bell was nearly a perfect human being. I've never heard anything bad about him except that he liked the Dome idea... which it's debatable whether or not that's bad.

SWVA...you are an encyclopedia of knowledge. Thank you for sharing it! I'm glad you are a "true Buc."

BTW...didn't the Bear have some racist tendencies until he figured out that African Americans could help him win?

RE: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - straightfromthehorsesmouth - 02-20-2011 09:47 PM

(02-20-2011 07:42 PM)Mister Jennings Wrote:  Very enlightening.

Very encouraging. It seems that Bell was nearly a perfect human being. I've never heard anything bad about him except that he liked the Dome idea... which it's debatable whether or not that's bad.

SWVA...you are an encyclopedia of knowledge. Thank you for sharing it! I'm glad you are a "true Buc."

BTW...didn't the Bear have some racist tendencies until he figured out that African Americans could help him win?
[/quote]

more interesting reading... pretty indepth and the SEC is featured including why The Bear decided to cross the color line..
http://www.csupomona.edu/~rrreese/INTEGRATION.HTML

RE: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - Mister Jennings - 02-20-2011 10:09 PM

Fascinating. It was interesting to read the early famous names who were conservatives. African-American conservatives are extremely rare today... but it is interesting it was a conservative president who was responsible for the emancipation proclamation.

RE: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - Buccaneerlover - 02-25-2011 08:16 PM

Bear Bryant was extremely racist back then, but he wanted Holloway, just not as a quarterback. The documentary was fascinating to watch. Lester McClain, who is UT's first black player (1968) also was a part of it. The quote he gave was very telling and I'll paraphrase it because I'm not sure of it word for word but: "My daddy was 50 years old when I was born, and his daddy was 50 years old when he was born, my grandfather was born a slave. 50 years isn't a long time."
That being said, when you go back and look at some of those legendary coaches, Bear being one of them, most were racist.
Adolph Rupp - Caused Bear Bryant to leave the University of Kentucky for aTm in the 1950's because Rupp was blocking integration. Bryant knew it would work and he could win at Kentucky with black players. The Wildcats lone football conference championship was under Bear's watch. We obviously know that the thought process behind all of this was flawed, but by the same token, do we think the Puritans were bad people because they thought everyone was a witch? Or how about the folks that thought the Earth was flat, were they stupid for thinking that? I always find it very interesting to debate because when someone is taught a certain way to believe their entire life, it's very difficult to change that. Think of how in the 1980's we treated people who contracted AIDS. They became almost second class citizens, or how mentally retarded people were treated all the way up until my lifetime. All we can hope for is that people have learned and moved forward.
Now, on another subject, the documentary on Wendell Scott that came on after The Color Orange was ten times better. Really cool piece on a part of Nascar history that they try to bury.

RE: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - Mister Jennings - 02-25-2011 10:00 PM

Great thoughts Buccaneerlover. What caught my eye especially was your statement: I always find it very interesting to debate because when someone is taught a certain way to believe their entire life, it's very difficult to change that.

For 80 years I followed ETSU football....it's ingrained in my blood and by now I think Dr. Stanton thought that folks like me would forget about it.

News for Dr. Stanton...not going to forget...and your dumb, foolish, uneducated decision will haunt your presidency till the day you leave. If you fix the problem...I'll vote for you as a hero. Doctor...cure the disease...heal the patient...heal alumni like me. I'm sure there are many Bucs withholding contributions to the University till you heal this. As a physician...I would think you like healing.

BTW...wouldn't it be cool if a filmmaker did a documentary of John Robert Bell. Won't happen. Nobody has ever heard of the guy except a few rabid Buc fans....and Terry Bradshaw.

RE: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - JWBUC - 02-27-2011 05:37 PM

The OVC integrated black players in BB long before the SEC actually did. Back then only the conference champ went to the 32 so a Western KY was actually a better place to play then Georgia anyway. I think some of those OVC teams back then were very competitive with the big boys. Western made a final four run if i remember correctly

RE: Buc Alumnus Promoting Tennessee Football-Condridge Holloway - Mister Jennings - 02-27-2011 07:18 PM

(02-27-2011 05:37 PM)JWBUC Wrote:  The OVC integrated black players in BB long before the SEC actually did. Back then only the conference champ went to the 32 so a Western KY was actually a better place to play then Georgia anyway. I think some of those OVC teams back then were very competitive with the big boys. Western made a final four run if i remember correctly

1971...finished 3rd.

The 1970-71 Hilltoppers won 24 of 30 games and the Ohio Valley Conference championship on their way to the Final Four. In tournament action, the Toppers roared back from an 18-point deficit late in the first half to nip Jacksonville 74-72 on Glover’s legendary “Shoestring Play” as time expired. Then, WKU powered its way past Kentucky (107-83) in the first-ever meeting between the two schools. Next, powerful Ohio State fell 81-78 in overtime to send the Hilltoppers to the Astrodome.

In the national semi-final game, WKU squared off against Villanova in a classic battle in front of more than 30,000 fans. When the dust settled, the two clubs had played head-to-head for 50 minutes before the Wildcats slipped away with a 92-89 double-overtime victory. Two days later the Toppers bounced back to defeat Kansas 77-75 in the third-place game.

It must be noted that this could happen at ETSU....at least that was the idea when football was eliminated. It's all on basketball...year round.