CSNbbs
Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees (/thread-433900.html)

Pages: 1 2

Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - DrTorch - 05-05-2010 01:19 PM

Because of confederate tatoos.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=149729

Things are going downhill quickly.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - BGSUalum1987 - 05-05-2010 01:28 PM

Going downhill?

They've been going downhill for a long time.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - DrTorch - 05-05-2010 01:30 PM

(05-05-2010 01:28 PM)BGSUalum1987 Wrote:  Going downhill?

They've been going downhill for a long time.

I said going downhill "quickly". Don't make me go 2nd derivative on your ass.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - Owl 69/70/75 - 05-05-2010 01:34 PM

They have been rejecting anyone with a tattoo that is visible when the uniform is worn for some time now. I've been aware of it for at least a year.

I'm also aware of at least one situation where a person signed his enlistment papers, then went and got a tattoo (in a place not visible when wearing his uniform), and was subsequently mustered out when he reported for his enlistment physical (since he had "altered Marine Corps property" or so the official explanation went.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - Paul M - 05-05-2010 01:38 PM

And one thing that should be an instant disqualifier, a Koran in the hands of a recruit, isn't. Bar a proud American who wants to serve his country and welcome someone who may potentially be the enemy.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - DrTorch - 05-05-2010 02:20 PM

(05-05-2010 01:34 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  They have been rejecting anyone with a tattoo that is visible when the uniform is worn for some time now. I've been aware of it for at least a year.

I'm also aware of at least one situation where a person signed his enlistment papers, then went and got a tattoo (in a place not visible when wearing his uniform), and was subsequently mustered out when he reported for his enlistment physical (since he had "altered Marine Corps property" or so the official explanation went.

So no tattoos for anyone?

That's tough to believe since they're so popular.

It would seem that a tattoo on the upper shoulder wouldn't be visible in uniform.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - Lord Stanley - 05-05-2010 02:36 PM

(05-05-2010 01:34 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  he had "altered Marine Corps property"

Hah!

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - SumOfAllFears - 05-05-2010 02:44 PM

(05-05-2010 01:38 PM)Paul M Wrote:  And one thing that should be an instant disqualifier, a Koran in the hands of a recruit, isn't. Bar a proud American who wants to serve his country and welcome someone who may potentially be the enemy.

Or a business card that says "death to america".

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - Lord Stanley - 05-05-2010 04:04 PM

Wait a minute! Why doesn't the Marine Corp buy one of those laser removal doodads and remove the offensive tatoo? Charge a weeks pay or something.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - Rebel - 05-05-2010 04:33 PM

(05-05-2010 04:04 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Wait a minute! Why doesn't the Marine Corp buy one of those laser removal doodads and remove the offensive tatoo? Charge a weeks pay or something.

F--k political correctness. Last thing I want to see is a bunch of politically-correct f'n Devil Dogs.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - Owl 69/70/75 - 05-05-2010 04:33 PM

(05-05-2010 02:20 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(05-05-2010 01:34 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  They have been rejecting anyone with a tattoo that is visible when the uniform is worn for some time now. I've been aware of it for at least a year.
So no tattoos for anyone?
That's tough to believe since they're so popular.
It would seem that a tattoo on the upper shoulder wouldn't be visible in uniform.

The tattoo cannot be visible when you salute in uniform. And once you sign up for the Corps, you can't get any more than you already have. The second point is what got the guy in my story.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - MileHighBronco - 05-05-2010 05:16 PM

I suspect there is more than P.C. behind this no tattoos stuff. I recall seeing, reading and hearing a while back that in today's military, there is a real problem with gangsters signing up. White supremacists, neo-nazis, urban gangbangers, etc.

Kind of makes it hard to have corps unity when the other allegiances are on display, if you follow the way I'm drifting. Keeping them out in the first place helps to solve that problem.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - Owl 69/70/75 - 05-05-2010 05:18 PM

(05-05-2010 05:16 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I suspect there is more than P.C. behind this no tattoos stuff. I recall seeing, reading and hearing a while back that in today's military, there is a real problem with gangsters signing up. White supremacists, neo-nazis, urban gangbangers, etc.
Kind of makes it hard to have corps unity when the other allegiances are on display, if you follow the way I'm drifting. Keeping them out in the first place helps to solve that problem.

After hauling more than a few of them around in the Gator Navy, my respect for the Corps is such that if they think this is the way to go, then I'm pretty sure it must be.

I'm guessing they know exactly what they are doing, whether it makes sense to you and me or not.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - MileHighBronco - 05-05-2010 05:21 PM

Trust me, I have no problem with it at all.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - T-Monay820 - 05-05-2010 05:48 PM

This is not at all shocking, nor is it without good reason. The potential problems associated with adding an individual with a highly controversial tattoo heavily outweigh the benefits of allowing him to enlist. They're stopping a highly volatile situation from going up in their face. I back the decision by Marines here. Service is not a right.

In general I know the military has been going back and forth on tattoos in their entirety. Each branch seems to be given the option of how to handle them, but they all seem to share the common theory that they are unprofessional in appearance, regardless of what is on them.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - subflea - 05-05-2010 07:14 PM

White supremecists enlisting has been an issue for quite sometime now. They will have guys enlist and send all their money back to the organization. The legal office at my last command had several pictures of tattoos on guys they had kicked out for that reason. The most common tattoo that slipped by the recruiters and the MEP station was a simple number "23", which stood for "White". "W" being the 23rd letter of the alphabet.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - nomad2u2001 - 05-05-2010 08:12 PM

I don't have a huge problem with the Confederate Flag, even though I can go without seeing it.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - smn1256 - 05-05-2010 08:39 PM

I think the NBA should ban tattoos.

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - cb4029 - 05-05-2010 08:49 PM

If I were Prez, I'd get rid of all this PC crap.

cb4029 2012

RE: Marine corps rejecting qualified enlistees - SumOfAllFears - 05-06-2010 05:37 AM

(05-05-2010 08:49 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  If I were Prez, I'd get rid of all this PC crap.

cb4029 2012

The long-legged mack daddy has trouble speaking without a teleprompter.