CSNbbs
Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. (/thread-420246.html)

Pages: 1 2

Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - WoodlandsOwl - 02-16-2010 08:03 PM

Ex-Clinton prosecutor Starr to lead Baylor

By JEANNIE KEVER
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle

Kenneth Starr, the prosecutor whose investigations into the administration and behavior of former President Bill Clinton made him a lightning rod for partisan politics, has been named president of Baylor University.

The announcement ended an 18-month search that began after regents fired former president John M. Lilley in 2008, saying they had lost confidence in his ability to serve Baylor's many constituencies.

Starr, 63, has been dean of Pepperdine University's law school since 2004. He is scheduled to be introduced on the Baylor campus Tuesday afternoon and starts work June 1. Baylor is the nation's largest Baptist university.

Monday, he was praised for his academic and administrative credentials — the Pepperdine law school vaulted up more than 150 spots in the U.S. News and World Report rankings during his tenure — and for his potential to pull together the sometimes-fractious Baylor community.

“There's been a lot of disagreement within the Baylor community about how to reflect and affirm Baylor's religious heritage within the context of providing a world-class education,” said Tom Phillips, former chief justice of the Texas Supreme Court and a Baylor alumnus. “I think Ken's thought deeply about that.”

Phillips was one of 10 members of an advisory committee that worked with the presidential search committee to find a new leader for the Baptist school.

“I am enthusiastically thrilled,” said Kenneth Hall, president and CEO of Buckner International in Dallas, who represented Texas Baptists on the advisory committee. “I endorse it 100 percent.”

‘Great match for Baylor'
So did one of Starr's predecessors, Robert B. Sloan Jr., who left as president of Baylor in 2005 and was named president at Houston Baptist University the following year.

“His resume looks like a great match for Baylor,” Sloan said. “There are a lot of issues in higher education that make having a very brilliant attorney as president a real advantage.”

The friction of the past few years has been painful but has helped the school to focus on its identity as a Christian institution, Sloan said.

“I think it was taken for granted before,” he said. “Baylor had a successful history as a Christian university, but anyone who is a fair observer would say Baylor had experienced some drift in that regard.”

Regents “have made a clear decision” to address the drift, Sloan suggested.

Starr, a native Texan, is best known as special prosecutor from 1994 to 1999. During that time, he considered a variety of Clinton activities, including the Whitewater land deal and Clinton's affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. Clinton was impeached for lying about his relationship with Lewinsky, but not convicted.

Wide range of experience
But Starr also has a wide academic and professional resume, including stints as a law professor and six years as an appellate judge for the District of Columbia. He served as solicitor general under President George H. W. Bush, representing the government before the U.S. Supreme Court.

“There are folks that, when they hear the name Ken Starr, they think of Whitewater and don't know much more about him,” said Jaime Diaz-Granados, chairman of Baylor's department of psychology and neuroscience. “But that was a very small part of his history, and there is much more to the man than that.”

Starr's work as special prosecutor remains controversial in the legal community, but the dean of the Baylor law school said that should have no bearing on his role as university president.

“This is not an institution that is characterized as R(epublican) or D(emocrat),” said Brad Toben. “We are here to educate our students. ... Whatever has gone forth in the political partisan scheme of things does not bear upon the academic.”

Houston lawyer Mark Lanier, a friend of Starr's, noted that Baylor may be a natural fit.

“Baylor's not (the University of California at) Berkeley,” Lanier said. “These are his people.”

Even critics don't dispute Starr's intellectual star power.

“He's not my kind of guy, but it still seems like a good thing to me,” said Houston lawyer Lynne Liberato.

Some at Baylor may be more concerned with Starr's religious affiliation. He was raised in the Church of Christ, the denomination with which Pepperdine University is affiliated.

Pepperdine spokesman Jerry Derloshon said Starr and his wife, Alice, attended services in a Church of Christ on campus.

But Hall said Starr was a member of McLean Bible Church when he lived in McLean, Va., and will join a Baptist church in Waco.

“That was one thing we spent a lot of time vetting the candidate on,” he said. “We want someone who believes as a Baptist.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/religion/new/6868252.html

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - I45owl - 02-17-2010 09:56 AM

(02-16-2010 08:03 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  “That was one thing we spent a lot of time vetting the candidate on,” he said. “We want someone who believes as a Baptist.”

So, they found someone who would believe as a Baptist for enough $$$. Guess the list of "close enough" should be amended for this. (And, I wonder what PETA's take on Starr is, did that come into play in the decision making process?)

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - DrTorch - 02-17-2010 10:59 AM

(02-16-2010 08:03 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  But Hall said Starr was a member of McLean Bible Church when he lived in McLean, Va.,

We attended that church for some time. It's a good church.

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - Lord Stanley - 02-17-2010 05:28 PM

Kenn Starr namedd Presidentt of Baylorr Universityy

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - Rebel - 02-17-2010 08:56 PM

(02-17-2010 05:28 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Kenn Starr namedd Presidentt of Baylorr Universityy

Doess anyonee reallyy givee aa rat'ss asss?

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - Paul M - 02-17-2010 08:59 PM

Thiss shitt iss kindd off anoyingg. Gladd Ii couldd contributee.

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - GilWinant - 02-18-2010 04:24 PM

He's a bright legal mind and apparently a successful university leader. I understand why Baylor, a very conservative religious university, would want him. However, Baylor will alienate a large segment of the population because Starr was a large part of one of the most partisan and contentious political events in our nation's history. On the other hand, his presence will likely enhance the Baylor's attractiveness to many others.

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - I45owl - 02-18-2010 07:10 PM

(02-18-2010 04:24 PM)GilWinant Wrote:  However, Baylor will alienate a large segment of the population because Starr was a large part of one of the most partisan and contentious political events in our nation's history.

There are many, many things wrong with this statement.

The first is the presumption that Baylor doesn't already alienate a large segment of the population.

The second is the presumption that they care.

The third is the presumption that the segment of the population that they may alienate due to his involvement as special prosecutor has any intersection at all with the folks that have any interest in Baylor.

Personally, I didn't respect those that pushed and pushed for the special prosecutor to begin with, but I had no real problem with how Starr handled the assignment.

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - GilWinant - 02-18-2010 08:56 PM

(02-18-2010 07:10 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(02-18-2010 04:24 PM)GilWinant Wrote:  However, Baylor will alienate a large segment of the population because Starr was a large part of one of the most partisan and contentious political events in our nation's history.

The first is the presumption that Baylor doesn't already alienate a large segment of the population.

The third is the presumption that the segment of the population that they may alienate due to his involvement as special prosecutor has any intersection at all with the folks that have any interest in Baylor.

Personally, I didn't respect those that pushed and pushed for the special prosecutor to begin with, but I had no real problem with how Starr handled the assignment.

There's nothing wrong with my statement. Starr is a polarizing figure because of his role as special prosecutor.

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - SuperFlyBCat - 02-18-2010 10:32 PM

(02-18-2010 08:56 PM)GilWinant Wrote:  

There's nothing wrong with my statement. Starr is a polarizing figure because of his role as special prosecutor.

Gosh, my problem was with Clinton who is a felon, not Starr. Clinton is polarizing. Why can't Clinton practice law anymore?

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - WoodlandsOwl - 02-19-2010 02:10 AM

(02-18-2010 10:32 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Gosh, my problem was with Clinton who is a felon, not Starr. Clinton is polarizing. Why can't Clinton practice law anymore?

Because its easier to pick up women doing the speaking circuit and you make more money than practicing law?

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - GilWinant - 02-19-2010 09:19 AM

(02-18-2010 10:32 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Clinton was somewhat polarizing when president, not quite as much these days. I never voted for him, but I liked him. The whole Whitewater/Lewinski saga turned into little more than a witch-hunt, and I think a lot of the current hyper-partisanship in our nation's politics can be traced back to the GOP's unwise decisions surrounding Clinton. Starr was part of that.

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - I45owl - 02-19-2010 10:08 AM

Nice way to combine excessive defensiveness with a lack of a sense of humor.

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - GilWinant - 02-19-2010 02:23 PM

(02-19-2010 10:08 AM)I45owl Wrote:  

Do you have anything worthwhile to add, or are you going to strictly resort to petty, childish insults? Please let me know if it is going to be the latter so that I can put you on ignore.

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - Rebel - 02-19-2010 02:29 PM

(02-19-2010 02:23 PM)GilWinant Wrote:  Do you have anything worthwhile to add, or are you going to strictly resort to petty, childish insults? Please let me know if it is going to be the latter so that I can put you on ignore.

You might want to keep that ignore button handy if you're going to act like a whiny li'l *****. The Spin Room isn't for the weak.

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - GilWinant - 02-19-2010 02:34 PM

(02-19-2010 02:29 PM)Rebel Wrote:  
(02-19-2010 02:23 PM)GilWinant Wrote:  Do you have anything worthwhile to add, or are you going to strictly resort to petty, childish insults? Please let me know if it is going to be the latter so that I can put you on ignore.

You might want to keep that ignore button handy if you're going to act like a whiny li'l *****. The Spin Room isn't for the weak.

Your attempted macho, internet bravado is amusing, but unnecessary.

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - Lord Stanley - 02-19-2010 02:34 PM

(02-19-2010 02:23 PM)GilWinant Wrote:  Please let me know if it is going to be the latter so that I can put you on ignore.

LURK MOAR!

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - Rebel - 02-19-2010 02:46 PM

(02-19-2010 02:34 PM)GilWinant Wrote:  
(02-19-2010 02:29 PM)Rebel Wrote:  

Your attempted macho, internet bravado is amusing, but unnecessary.

Ahh, the naivety of a noob. Everyone comes here cordial. After a few months, you'll understand.

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - Brookes Owl - 02-19-2010 04:08 PM

(02-19-2010 02:23 PM)GilWinant Wrote:  

Do you have anything worthwhile to add, or are you going to strictly resort to petty, childish insults? Please let me know if it is going to be the latter so that I can put you on ignore.

Congratulations! You appear to be well on your way to a reputation as the neighborhood crank.

[Image: you-kids-get-off-my-lawn.jpg]

RE: Kenn Starr named President of Baylor University. - GilWinant - 02-19-2010 04:51 PM

(02-19-2010 04:08 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(02-19-2010 02:23 PM)GilWinant Wrote:  

Congratulations! You appear to be well on your way to a reputation as the neighborhood crank.

I didn't start the personal attacks in this thread, yet you seem to lay the blame on me. As I said before, I am respectful unless someone shows they don't deserve it.