CSNbbs
US Debt about to overwhelm - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: US Debt about to overwhelm (/thread-419840.html)

US Debt about to overwhelm - DrTorch - 02-14-2010 02:07 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100214/ap_on_bi_ge/us_deficit_crunch

Quote:WASHINGTON – It's bad enough that Greece's debt problems have rattled global financial markets. In the world's largest economic and military power, there's a far more serious debt dilemma.

For the U.S., the crushing weight of its debt threatens to overwhelm everything the federal government does, even in the short-term, best-case financial scenario — a full recovery and a return to prerecession employment levels.

The government already has made so many promises to so many expanding "mandatory" programs.

Wow, MSM actually covering the real problem.

RE: US Debt about to overwhelm - Owl 69/70/75 - 02-14-2010 02:42 PM

They're only talking about half the problem.

Our balance of trade deficit is about as big as our federal deficit (a little less right now with the econmic downturn, but potentially more if we get the budget under control at some point). That has to be financed offshore in some respect. When I import goods from China, at some point I have to pay somebody in China.

Obama's goal of doubling exports is a good one. Unfortunately, he has proposed absolutely nothing that will contribute in any meaningful way to the achievement of that goal. Certainly nothing even remotely approaching the adverse effects if cap-and-trade and card-check pass, or if we don't start supplementing his green energy initiatives with something that will actually reduce oil imports.

RE: US Debt about to overwhelm - I45owl - 02-15-2010 01:29 PM

(02-14-2010 02:42 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Obama's goal of doubling exports is a good one. Unfortunately, he has proposed absolutely nothing that will contribute in any meaningful way to the achievement of that goal.

Yes he did. Hope.

Well, except for the "meaningful" part, anyways.

RE: US Debt about to overwhelm - THE NC Herd Fan - 02-15-2010 02:00 PM

(02-14-2010 02:42 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  They're only talking about half the problem.

Our balance of trade deficit is about as big as our federal deficit (a little less right now with the econmic downturn, but potentially more if we get the budget under control at some point). That has to be financed offshore in some respect. When I import goods from China, at some point I have to pay somebody in China.

Obama's goal of doubling exports is a good one. Unfortunately, he has proposed absolutely nothing that will contribute in any meaningful way to the achievement of that goal. Certainly nothing even remotely approaching the adverse effects if cap-and-trade and card-check pass, or if we don't start supplementing his green energy initiatives with something that will actually reduce oil imports.

I will give Obama his props here. He's exported wealth, manufacturing base, and US Debt Obligation. China owns us with the $1trillion deficit Obama created in 2009, they own our Grandchildren with the incremental $1trillion deficit he creates in 2010.