CSNbbs
Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays (/thread-394404.html)

Pages: 1 2

Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - SumOfAllFears - 10-22-2009 07:57 PM

Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays

Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:25 PM

WASHINGTON -- Gays who are physically assaulted because of their sexual orientation receive new federal hate crime protections under legislation heading for President Barack Obama's signature.

With a Senate vote on Thursday, Congress has approved a measure that expands current law to include crimes based on gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.

That's one of the most significant expansions of the law since it was enacted after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. in 1968.

The bill would provide financial aid to states prosecuting hate crimes and would allow the Justice Department to step in when a state is unwilling or unable to follow through on a purported hate crime.

© 2009 Associated Press

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - RaiderATO - 10-22-2009 08:24 PM

Does anyone on here think that these laws are inherently good?

I don't care why you committed a crime. The crime is what you committed, not why. How can you prove why someone did something?

(10-22-2009 07:57 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  The bill would provide financial aid to states prosecuting hate crimes . . .

Doesn't this give states the incentive to label something a hate crime, just to get the feds to pay for the proceedings?

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - Rebel - 10-22-2009 08:26 PM

I don't believe in hate crimes PERIOD. Murder shouldn't have severity levels because there are no different levels of death. The person is f'n dead. It doesn't matter if he was gay, straight, transexual, black, white, Hispanic, or a GDamn furry. He's dead. It places degrees of value on one person over another.

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - smn1256 - 10-22-2009 08:29 PM

Gee, everything I wanted to say has already been said.

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - NIU05 - 10-22-2009 08:35 PM

What makes me sick is to compare civil rights to "gay' rights. It makes me sick. I can not imagine how African Americans feel who fought the good fight to be told by the Dems that civil rights and gay rights are the same thing.

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - BleedsHuskieRed - 10-23-2009 11:48 AM

(10-22-2009 08:35 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  What makes me sick is to compare civil rights to "gay' rights. It makes me sick. I can not imagine how African Americans feel who fought the good fight to be told by the Dems that civil rights and gay rights are the same thing.
How are they not? They are both about personal freedoms and being discriminated against because of who they are. Whenever one group is deprived of liberty, every other group should be equally upset.

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - Rebel - 10-23-2009 12:15 PM

(10-23-2009 11:48 AM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  
(10-22-2009 08:35 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  What makes me sick is to compare civil rights to "gay' rights. It makes me sick. I can not imagine how African Americans feel who fought the good fight to be told by the Dems that civil rights and gay rights are the same thing.
How are they not? They are both about personal freedoms and being discriminated against because of who they are. Whenever one group is deprived of liberty, every other group should be equally upset.

What liberty is being denied to gays?

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - BleedsHuskieRed - 10-23-2009 01:21 PM

(10-23-2009 12:15 PM)Rebel Wrote:  

The liberty to be recognized under the law as a legal union of two people. I personally don't think the government should recognize any marriage, only civil unions between two consenting adults. Let religions consider it a marriage or not.

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - Lord Stanley - 10-23-2009 01:37 PM

What I don't like is when it is classified as a hate crime with insufficient evidence. For instance, when a witness says he "might" of heard a derogatory comment.

Or when the local PD or FD shows up and "suggests" that the victim heard a racist comment.

Both of the above have precedent.

Thin acecdotal witness evidence or planted suggestions is the weak link in hate crime laws.

You beat a man half to death with a pipe, you get 15 years. You beat a man half to death and call him honkey, you get 30.

Does not compute.

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - BleedsHuskieRed - 10-23-2009 01:40 PM

(10-23-2009 01:37 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  What I don't like is when it is classified as a hate crime with insufficient evidence. For instance, when a witness says he "might" of heard a derogatory comment.

Or when the local PD or FD shows up and "suggests" that the victim heard a racist comment.

Thin acecdotal witness evidence or planted suggestions is the weak link in hate crime laws.

You beat a man half to death with a pipe, you get 15 years. You beat a man half to death and call him honkey, you get 30.

Does not compute.
Wholeheartedly agree. Murder is murder and should probably be punished with life in prison, no parole, unless it was an especially heinous act, involving numerous people or a rape involved, in that case, I support a public hanging while publicly stoning the person.

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - Rebel - 10-23-2009 01:46 PM

(10-23-2009 01:21 PM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  The liberty to be recognized under the law as a legal union of two people. I personally don't think the government should recognize any marriage, only civil unions between two consenting adults. Let religions consider it a marriage or not.

Nothing like that should be recognized by the law or the government. It's none of their business. We need to be recognized and respected as individuals by our elected government.

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - I45owl - 10-23-2009 02:13 PM

Apparently I lost my previous post in this thread.

This discussion diverged from what it should be about. African Americans absolutely should sympathize with someone that is targeted and hunted down for whatever aspect of their persona some thug decides to target them for. That does not mean they must necessarily approve of what they do or agree with the gay marriage agenda.

Another comment - I don't recall hate law legislation until after the murder Matthew Sheppard (and a brutal incident in southeast Texas around the same timeframe +/- 3 years).

(10-23-2009 01:37 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  What I don't like is when it is classified as a hate crime with insufficient evidence. For instance, when a witness says he "might" of heard a derogatory comment.

Does not compute.

It's better than European (anti-) Freedom of Speech laws. You beat a man half to death, you get 5 years. You call him honkey (and do nothing else), you get 15.

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - smn1256 - 10-23-2009 09:39 PM

Anyone who is worried to death about derogatory remarks about gays has never spent any time on a football field. What ever happened to that "sticks and stones" parable?

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - Tripster - 10-24-2009 12:21 PM

Well I am finally happy that we have claimed "Gays" a Species of their own and have claimed them Endangered and passed laws to protect them.

This old world is going to Hell in a handbasket faster than goose turds roll down a greased glass pane.

So now if some 3 Dollar Bill starts a fight with me and I whup him 3 ways from Sunday, I will spend YEARS in Prison and be labeled a "Hate Crimes Violator" for the rest of my life even though all I did was protect myself.

The Gay will only be charged with Disturbing the Peace by Fighting (misdemeanor) and possibly Simple Battery and never spend a single day in a prison. Now that's just wrong dong !!!!!!

Heck of a road we are headed down.

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - Paul M - 10-24-2009 01:20 PM

(10-23-2009 01:37 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  You beat a man half to death with a pipe, you get 15 years. You beat a man half to death and call him honkey, you get 30.

Does not compute.

I may be unaware here, but honkey would cause federal dollars to come in? Hate crimes protections extend to white hetero males?

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - Lord Stanley - 10-24-2009 05:55 PM

(10-24-2009 01:20 PM)Paul M Wrote:  
(10-23-2009 01:37 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  You beat a man half to death with a pipe, you get 15 years. You beat a man half to death and call him honkey, you get 30.

Does not compute.

I may be unaware here, but honkey would cause federal dollars to come in? Hate crimes protections extend to white hetero males?

yesm, hate crime protection is afforded to all races, crazy ace cracker honkey included. The issue with "teh gays" is that it is a sexual orientation protection.

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - BeliefBlazer - 10-24-2009 06:02 PM

Aren't all crimes against people 'HATE' crimes? I wouldn't bash someones skull in if I loved them

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - Ninerfan1 - 10-24-2009 06:07 PM

(10-24-2009 06:02 PM)BamaBlazer Wrote:  Aren't all crimes against people 'HATE' crimes? I wouldn't bash someones skull in if I loved them

Truth.

"hate" crime legislation is about as dumb a concept as anyone has ever come up with from a legal standpoint. The idea that what someone was thinking should play a role in the determining of the punishment for a crime is beyond moronic.

Then again I would expect any less from libs.

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - Smaug - 10-24-2009 06:53 PM

I get a little antsy when we start ascribing deadly sins to crimes.

So, if I hit someone over the head with a brick because they're gay, then that's a hate crime. Okay, let's say I buy that.

Now, If I hit the same guy over the head with a brick because I simply had to have that righteous Scooby Doo lunchbox, then what does that make it? A greed crime? An envy crime?

Shouldn't the point of criminal law be that you shouldn't go around hitting people with bricks?

RE: Congress Extends Hate Crime Protections to Gays - Fo Shizzle - 10-24-2009 07:07 PM

(10-23-2009 01:21 PM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  
(10-23-2009 12:15 PM)Rebel Wrote:  

The liberty to be recognized under the law as a legal union of two people. I personally don't think the government should recognize any marriage, only civil unions between two consenting adults. Let religions consider it a marriage or not.

This..+1