CSNbbs
Don't Forget About Honduras, It was No Coup, Could it Happen In the US - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Don't Forget About Honduras, It was No Coup, Could it Happen In the US (/thread-377895.html)

Don't Forget About Honduras, It was No Coup, Could it Happen In the US - SumOfAllFears - 07-17-2009 12:25 PM

If Obama were found to hold the presidency under false pretenses?

This continues to be an important story, but hard to find it in the press.

Ignoring the constitution, President Manuel Zelaya ordered a “non-binding” referendum be put to the voters on extending his stay in office.

After the Honduran supreme court ruled that only the country’s congress could call such an election, Zelaya ordered the army to help him stage it anyway. When the head of the armed forces, acting on orders from the supreme court, refused, Zelaya fired him, then led a mob to break into a military base where the ballots were stored.

The Honduran Supreme Court, congress, attorney general and members of Zelaya’s cabinet opposed his move as unconstitutional. The supreme court ordered the military to remove Zelaya from office.

Nonetheless, Barack Obama declared the Honduran government’s actions a coup — never mind the government was preserving its democracy instead of overthrowing it.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said, “The action taken against Honduran President Mel Zelaya violates the precepts of the Inter-American Democratic Charter, and thus should be condemned by all.” She called on Hondurans to uphold their constitutional processes, the very thing they were doing by ousting Zelaya...

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2009/07/03/the-honduran-question/ More ... http://yidwithlid.blogspot.com/2009/07/us-does-not-recognize-legitimacy-of.html

RE: Don't Forget About Honduras, It was No Coup, Could it Happen In the US - DrTorch - 07-17-2009 12:30 PM

I wasn't joking when I wrote that Obama was taking notes.

RE: Don't Forget About Honduras, It was No Coup, Could it Happen In the US - Rebel - 07-17-2009 12:34 PM

(07-17-2009 12:30 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  I wasn't joking when I wrote that Obama was taking notes.

Obama's military won't back him up. They follow the Constitution.

RE: Don't Forget About Honduras, It was No Coup, Could it Happen In the US - Tripster - 07-17-2009 12:39 PM

I honestly hope we get Our Turn to Save the Republic for the sake of Democracy in the same way the Hondurans did for Their's.

Come on guys, a little Brain Teaser here - - Who was it that said. "A little Revolution is Good from Time to Time" ???

Maybe that is exactly what we need in our present situation. LOL

RE: Don't Forget About Honduras, It was No Coup, Could it Happen In the US - DrTorch - 07-17-2009 12:51 PM

(07-17-2009 12:39 PM)Tripster Wrote:  .

I honestly hope we get Our Turn to Save the Republic for the sake of Democracy in the same way the Hondurans did for Their's.

Come on guys, a little Brain Teaser here - - Who was it that said. "A little Revolution is Good from Time to Time" ???

Maybe that is exactly what we need in our present situation. LOL

Either Thomas Jefferson or John Lennon. I always get mixed up between those two.

RE: Don't Forget About Honduras, It was No Coup, Could it Happen In the US - SumOfAllFears - 07-17-2009 01:10 PM

Marko Ramius
Sean Connery

The Hunt for Red October

A little revolution, now and then, is a healthy thing, don't you think?

RE: Don't Forget About Honduras, It was No Coup, Could it Happen In the US - T-Monay820 - 07-17-2009 01:16 PM

I thought it was Franklin?

RE: Don't Forget About Honduras, It was No Coup, Could it Happen In the US - SumOfAllFears - 07-17-2009 01:16 PM

Listen Up People

This is still pending, Reid may attach it to some spending or military bill, as has been his penchant.

An amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President has passed the House Committee and will be voted on...

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-hj5/text

H.J.Res. 5 is a Constitutional amendment to remove the limit on the number of terms one may serve as President. It effectively would repeal the 22nd Amendment, which was approved by Congress in 1947 and ratified by the states in 1951. Over the past six congressional sessions, several members of Congress have introduced similar legislation, including Sen. Harry Reid in 1989 ( S.J.Res. 36). As is likely the case in the 111th Congress, the resolutions have never proceeded out of committee. Furthermore, given its past history, it is not likely that such resolutions have been or are currently tied to any specific presidential session.