CSNbbs
What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? (/thread-363700.html)

Pages: 1 2

What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - nomad2u2001 - 04-08-2009 08:26 PM

This is an open question.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - Owl 69/70/75 - 04-08-2009 08:28 PM

Never going to happen. Best thing you can do is listen/watch/read some from the right and some from the left and sort through the spin to figure out what works for you.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - nomad2u2001 - 04-08-2009 08:42 PM

You might be right there. Because I have just watched Hannity talk about the "arrogance" speech by Obama while not mentioning the rest of the speech. I know that the other elements of the MSM aren't fair but Fox has enough imbalance to equal all of the others put together.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - Rebel - 04-08-2009 08:46 PM

bull****.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - Rebel - 04-08-2009 08:47 PM

MSNBC might as well be on their collective knees blowing Obama. Is that what you want? State media? Do you honestly think he shouldn't be criticized?

As for the arrogance issue, I HEARD the damn speech. Context be damned. He IS over there apologizing for the United States TO places that are KNOWN to be arrogant. **** Obama.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - smn1256 - 04-08-2009 08:52 PM

(04-08-2009 08:26 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  This is an open question.

A good start would be to shut down CBS, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, etc. They're too biased and don't report the truth accurately. Hannity is like Limbaugh - you know what he's going to say yet you listen any way. Fox News if pretty fair and balanced when you put aside Hannity.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - Owl 69/70/75 - 04-08-2009 08:57 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Hannity. He's like Rush, only not as quick or bright or slick.
I tried to listen to Olbermann last night, and had pretty much the same reaction as you report with Hannity, nomad.

I'm not sure that I wouldn't consider Juan Williams to be about the closest thing to a middle of the road viewpoint. He's the most liberal guy on Fox and the most conservative guy on NPR, that should put him pretty close to the center.

Pairing a right winger with a left winger, a la Hannity and Colmes, is a good concept on paper, but I never got into H&C. I thought they both stupidly followed their ideological talking points instead of asking really probing questions.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - WoodlandsOwl - 04-08-2009 09:00 PM

(04-08-2009 08:52 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  
(04-08-2009 08:26 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  This is an open question.

A good start would be to shut down CBS, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, etc. They're too biased and don't report the truth accurately. Hannity is like Limbaugh - you know what he's going to say yet you listen any way. Fox News if pretty fair and balanced when you put aside Hannity.

If you look at how Fox News is set up, anything on after Shepherd Smith-- 8 PM Eastern, is OPINION rather than "News Reporting"

O'Reilly, Hannity, Greta--- its all opinion/debate/yelling at each other.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - nomad2u2001 - 04-08-2009 09:08 PM

Fox News is balanced when you put aside the shows from 12am-11:59pm along with all of the other channels. But Fox seems to be the channel that complains about the MSM when they ARE the MSM and they do the very things that they complain about. The only reason I give them a look is because it's guaranteed to give you a good laugh every now and again. For example, there was a retired Marine Colonel (I have nothing but respect for Marines) who stated that every Chinese restaurant across the country is a sleeper cell. Even Beck had to laugh.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - WoodlandsOwl - 04-08-2009 09:14 PM

(04-08-2009 09:08 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  Fox News is balanced when you put aside the shows from 12am-11:59pm along with all of the other channels. But Fox seems to be the channel that complains about the MSM when they ARE the MSM and they do the very things that they complain about. The only reason I give them a look is because it's guaranteed to give you a good laugh every now and again. For example, there was a retired Marine Colonel (I have nothing but respect for Marines) who stated that every Chinese restaurant across the country is a sleeper cell. Even Beck had to laugh.

You need to watch/ Tivo "Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld" 3 AM Eastern Mon-Friday on Fox News Channel.. It is insane and very funny.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - nomad2u2001 - 04-08-2009 09:21 PM

Crap, I forgot all about that show. We watch it sometimes here when I'm on night watches. The only time I got mad at that show is when they bashed Canada's involvement in the war.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - Rebel - 04-08-2009 09:40 PM

My morning programming only includes Robin and Co. on CNN HN. I don't know if it's the nice ass, nice rack, nice face, or non-partisan news, but I like it.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - Tripster - 04-08-2009 09:51 PM

Why do you want "Fair & Balanced" news ??

Man just give it to me and let me Sort It Out on my Own.

That way I am NOT a "Talking Point" and if I want the truth, I have to Research the Facts from several Other Sources.

At least this way I KNOW what I am hearing and seeing rather than trying to rely on Talking Heads to give me a Non-Biased Op Ed.

No 'Human Being is Unbiased about Anything' .... everyone has their 'Gangsta Lean' toward one side or the other and it matters not how hard they attempt to be Center On - - Human Nature will forbid it every time.

Just look at Robert - - if it were not for the likes of that 'sick-man' Ogerman, Robert would never post in here.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - smn1256 - 04-08-2009 09:58 PM

When I'm watching the news I'll watch Fox. I turn off Glen Beck because I find him annoying. I also don't watch Hannity because he's the TV version of Limbaugh and I listen to him for a few minutes in the morning. And I'll never watch Van Sustren or Rivera - - Rivera is the most annoying man on the planet, God how I can't stand that idiot. I'll watch O'Rielly when I get the chance and Dennis Miller makes me laugh.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - T-Monay820 - 04-08-2009 10:02 PM

"Unbiased" news would be very boring. Because details and semantics would be considered biased. Since I was just looking at the Kent State shooting from the 60s I'll make an example:

4 Students gunned down at Kent State

National Guardsmen fire into protesters; 4 killed

Shooting at Kent State; ROTC student killed

All possible headlines, all accurate, but the wording can affect biased. Naturally a more detailed story would clear up possible biased, but everyone keys in on headlines. An unbiased report would sound like a NASA review of the Challenger disaster (trust me, its boring as hell where they break down each tenth of a second in excrutiating detail and with video closeups). Example:

Students protested United States involvment in Vietnam. National Guardsmen were called out to keep demonstrators away from buildings. Shots fired by National Guardsmen. Four students killed.

Sounds like a telegraph, and is fractured as all hell. And that's just a short version. If you went into additional detail, no one would want to read it. Just my take.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - smn1256 - 04-08-2009 10:04 PM

I would think you can add personality to news reporting without being biased.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - Rebel - 04-08-2009 10:14 PM

(04-08-2009 10:04 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  I would think you can add personality to news reporting without being biased.

...or big tits.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - nomad2u2001 - 04-08-2009 10:16 PM

I'm more of an ass man myself. Must be genetic.

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - WoodlandsOwl - 04-08-2009 10:24 PM

They report.....I fantasize.

[Image: BanderasKelly_4.27.JPG]

RE: What would it take to get REAL fair and balanced news coverage? - Rebel - 04-08-2009 10:34 PM

I'm liking Shannon Bream from Fox these days. .....but I'm still infatuated with Robin.