CSNbbs
We're On the Eve of Destruction - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: We're On the Eve of Destruction (/thread-352563.html)

We're On the Eve of Destruction - SumOfAllFears - 03-08-2009 01:45 PM

IF THERE WAS A RELEASE WE WOULD BE TH LAST TO KNOW

Vaccine maker's snafu sparks pandemic scare
Officials say release of live virus should not be allowed to happen

March 07, 2009 6:44 pm Eastern

By Drew Zahn

An Illinois-based vaccine manufacturer is being investigated after an experiment gone very wrong led scientists to discover the company had released a contaminated product feared capable of starting a world-wide avian flu pandemic.

The Canadian Press reports that Baxter International's European research facility in Orth-Donau, Austria, supplied materials contaminated with the deadly avian H5N1 influenza virus to a research company that then sent portions to labs in the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Germany.

The labs thought they were receiving the less deadly, but more readily communicable, human H3N2 virus. When the Czech facility, however, injected a group of ferrets with the virus, the animals died – something that does not happen with H3N2 – prompting scientists to realize an error.

What the scientists were dealing with, in fact, was something far more dangerous.

Baxter's Austrian lab had sent a mix of H3N2 seasonal viruses and unlabeled, live H5N1 viruses. H3N2 is highly communicable, but less harmful. H5N1 is less easily transmitted to humans, but often lethal. If both strains, scientists fear, were to incubate in a single subject, a hybrid virus could be birthed capable of both sweeping the globe and killing in its wake.

Baxter International, which is based in Deerfield, Ill., said the contamination was the result of an error in its Austrian research facility.

Christopher Bona, Baxter's director of global bioscience communications, explained it as the result of a combination of "just the process itself, (and) technical and human error in this procedure."

As for the feared mixing of the viruses, called reassortment, an official of the World Health Organization's European operation believes the potential disaster was contained.

"We have no evidence of any reassortment, that any reassortment may have occurred," said medical officer Roberta Andraghetti. "And we have no evidence of any increased transmissibility of the viruses that were involved in the experiment with the ferrets in the Czech Republic."

The Canadian Press reports the 36 or 37 people exposed to the virus have received medical attention and do not appear to be infected.

Bona further told reporters that Baxter assisted in destroying the contaminated material and cleaning up the European laboratories where it was distributed. He says his company has determined where the error occurred and has taken steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.

"For this particular incident," said Dr. Angus Nicoll of the European Center for Disease Control, "the horse did not get out (of the barn)."

Dr. Nicoll, however, also pledged that the ECDC and WHO are taking the matter "seriously."

The Canadian Press reports investigations are ongoing in each of the four countries where the viruses were shipped, all under the watch of the ECDC and WHO.

The Press also reports that a number of biosecurity experts have expressed dissatisfaction with the explanation of simple error. As a biosafety level 3 facility (out of a maximum of four established safety levels, each requiring different safety precautions), the experts insist, the co-mingling of human H3N2 and avian H5N1 viruses should not be allowed to happen.

The H5N1 virus, Reuters reports, has infected over 400 people in 15 countries since 2003, killing 254 of them and leading to the culling of millions of birds around the world to contain it.

Baxter International makes flu vaccines – including a human H5N1 vaccine in process of being approved – at a facility in the Czech Republic.

---------------------------------------------------------

The eastern world, it is exploding
Violence flarin’, bullets loadin’
You’re old enough to kill, but not for votin’
You don’t believe in war, but what’s that gun you’re totin’
And even the Jordan River has bodies floatin’

But you tell me
Over and over and over again, my friend
Ah, you don’t believe
We’re on the eve
of destruction.

Don’t you understand what I’m tryin’ to say
Can’t you feel the fears I’m feelin’ today?
If the button is pushed, there’s no runnin’ away
There’ll be no one to save, with the world in a grave
[Take a look around ya boy, it's bound to scare ya boy]

And you tell me
Ah, you don’t believe
We’re on the eve
of destruction.

Yeah, my blood’s so mad feels like coagulatin’
I’m sitting here just contemplatin’
I can’t twist the truth, it knows no regulation.
Handful of senators don’t pass legislation
And marches alone can’t bring integration
When human respect is disintegratin’
This whole crazy world is just too frustratin’

And you tell me
Ah, you don’t believe
We’re on the eve
of destruction.

Think of all the hate there is in Red China
Then take a look around to Selma, Alabama
You may leave here for 4 days in space
But when you return, it’s the same old place
The poundin’ of the drums, the pride and disgrace
You can bury your dead, but don’t leave a trace
Hate your next-door neighbor, but don’t forget to say grace
And… tell me over and over and over and over again, my friend
You don’t believe
We’re on the eve
Of destruction
Mm, no no, you don’t believe
We’re on the eve
of destruction.

RE: We're On the Eve of Destruction - RobertN - 03-08-2009 03:13 PM

Hmm. THe flu has been going around here in Illinois. 03-puke

RE: We're On the Eve of Destruction - Tripster - 03-08-2009 03:34 PM

"Eve Nuthin" !!!!

We are in full blown kick-ur-ass destruction mode brought to you by the White House near YOU !!!!!!

Since you Libs will never be able to admit your horrid mistake, we Conservatives will send in Mourners and Clowns to swoon you and cheer you once the Rebellion Begins.

Oh to be Han Solo and finally getting to fight the Evil Empire !!!!!!

And Robert, you can be my R2D2 you little buggun' you .... 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao

RE: We're On the Eve of Destruction - niuhuskie84 - 03-08-2009 04:28 PM

This is just a general comment, but when you post an article it would be nice to include the source.

RE: We're On the Eve of Destruction - GRPunk - 03-08-2009 06:03 PM

Is this an argument for more lab facility regulations?

RE: We're On the Eve of Destruction - DrTorch - 03-09-2009 08:48 AM

Hmm,
If you saw the Ohio flu pandemic PSAs that were running last fall, you'd be even more paranoid.

I've been following these flu scares ever since my son was born. There's something fishy about the whole mess.

RE: We're On the Eve of Destruction - SumOfAllFears - 03-09-2009 11:19 AM

Fishy like what? The spanish flu in 1918 killed easily 20 to 100 million people worldwide, and they did not have the kind of travel we have today.

RE: We're On the Eve of Destruction - DrTorch - 03-09-2009 11:25 AM

(03-09-2009 11:19 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  Fishy like what? The spanish flu in 1918 killed easily 20 to 100 million people worldwide, and they did not have the kind of travel we have today.

Because of the way every Nov there is a prediction of one of the "worst" years in decades...then in Mar the actual result is some of the "fewest" cases in decades.

If vaccinations are preventing a pandemic, hooray! But, don't deceive people every year w/ exaggeration. It's not sound science, and it misleads people. Ohio's campaign was pure fiction...but then suddenly there was a release of an active virus? Maybe it's the movie, but this is Ozymandias-creepy.

RE: We're On the Eve of Destruction - SumOfAllFears - 03-09-2009 12:46 PM

Influenza and even a Flu pandemic is much more of a certinity than global warming.

RE: We're On the Eve of Destruction - RobertN - 03-09-2009 01:01 PM

(03-08-2009 06:03 PM)GRPunk Wrote:  Is this an argument for more lab facility regulations?
03-lmfao

RE: We're On the Eve of Destruction - RobertN - 03-09-2009 01:09 PM

(03-08-2009 03:34 PM)Tripster Wrote:  .

"Eve Nuthin" !!!!

We are in full blown kick-ur-ass destruction mode brought to you by the White House near YOU !!!!!!

Since you Libs will never be able to admit your horrid mistake, we Conservatives will send in Mourners and Clowns to swoon you and cheer you once the Rebellion Begins.

Oh to be Han Solo and finally getting to fight the Evil Empire !!!!!!

And Robert, you can be my R2D2 you little buggun' you .... 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao

01-wingedeagle

Btw, here you go. Just add a word and see what is sounds like. I tried

R2D2 translator.

I have tried a few words that describe you but can't put them on here in fear of getting another warning.

RE: We're On the Eve of Destruction - RobertN - 03-09-2009 01:28 PM

(03-09-2009 11:25 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(03-09-2009 11:19 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  Fishy like what? The spanish flu in 1918 killed easily 20 to 100 million people worldwide, and they did not have the kind of travel we have today.

Because of they way every Nov there is a prediction of one of the "worst" years in decades...then in Mar the actual result is some of the "fewest" cases in decades.

If vaccinations are preventing a pandemic, hooray! But, don't deceive people every year w/ exaggeration. It's not sound science, and it misleads people. Ohio's campaign was pure fiction...but then suddenly there was a release of an active virus? Maybe it's the movie, but this is Ozymandias-creepy.
I am not sure if you are aware but a vaccination doesn't cover all forms of flu. The vaccine is usually of one strain and the type of vaccination is based on scientific "guesses".