CSNbbs
Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? (/thread-320852.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - ClairtonPanther - 10-13-2008 03:39 PM

Anyone hear about this. I read it on Pitts Scout page. If true could Cuse really be next to fire a coach midway through the season.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - ClairtonPanther - 10-13-2008 03:41 PM

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=46&f=3167&t=3192356

Saw this thread on Clemson's Scout page. Looks like Tommy is indeed fired.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - bitcruncher - 10-13-2008 03:43 PM

I heard about this long ago. While the server was still down, as a matter of fact. I heard the rumor before it became public knowledge. But this isn't a surprise. The folks at Clemson have been dissatisfied with Bowden his entire tenure there. The failure in big games this season, for a team supposed to finally stand up and be noticed, was the final straw. I knew it would happen eventually. But I figured they'd wait until the end of the season.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - army56mike - 10-13-2008 03:47 PM

I don't think they should have fired him.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - ClairtonPanther - 10-13-2008 03:49 PM

I saw this coming for a while myself. But like Bit didn't see this coming till the end of the season.

Interesting thing I read was Lane Kiffin was headed to Clemson for an interview. I highly doubt they bring in an outsider in the middle of the season as well.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - bitcruncher - 10-13-2008 03:55 PM

That doesn't mean the search for a long term replacement isn't already underway...

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - chess - 10-13-2008 04:38 PM

army56mike Wrote:I don't think they should have fired him.

I don't either.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - CatsClaw - 10-13-2008 04:42 PM

I agree with you and chess. I might get raked over the coals for this, or maybe I won't, but I actually think that Syracuse should go after him. I think he is a good coach and I think he can get Syracuse back to national prominence.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - TerryD - 10-13-2008 04:44 PM

Tommy Bowden was 71-45 at Clemson, 90-49 overall, had zero losing seasons in 11+ years of coaching at Tulane and Clemson. He gets fired in mid-season.

In contrast, Ty Willingham is 11-30 at Washington and 76-81-1 for his career.

After this year, he will have 8 losing seasons in 14 years and hasn't coached a team that finished the season above .500 since 2002 ( his first Notre Dame team went 10-3).

And he's still employed........

Hard to figure.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - bitcruncher - 10-13-2008 04:46 PM

It depends on the expectations of the fans. Washington fans don't have any, Clemson fans do...

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - TerryD - 10-13-2008 04:52 PM

Tell the Washington fans that, they are going insane right now.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=147&f=1361

Washington was a good team with a lot of tradition under Don James. They expect to get back to that level.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - subflea - 10-13-2008 04:56 PM

That is what happens when your team is overrated every year. Fans have expectations that are too high and get pissed when big games are lost.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - subflea - 10-13-2008 04:58 PM

bitcruncher Wrote:It depends on the expectations of the fans. Washington fans don't have any, Clemson fans do...

Their expectations are pretty high at UW. They still think they are the same program that won a NC in 1991.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - chess - 10-13-2008 05:05 PM

TerryD Wrote:Tommy Bowden was 71-45 at Clemson, 90-49 overall, had zero losing seasons in 11+ years of coaching at Tulane and Clemson. He gets fired in mid-season.

In contrast, Ty Willingham is 11-30 at Washington and 76-81-1 for his career.

After this year, he will have 8 losing seasons in 14 years and hasn't coached a team that finished the season above .500 since 2002 ( his first Notre Dame team went 10-3).

And he's still employed........

Hard to figure.

I don't know where Tommy Bowden will land. In many ways, he would be a great hire for Virginia. I think he may take some time before returning to coaching.

Does anyone know his relationship with Rich Rodriguez? Could he work in Michigan for a year or so with hopes to returning to an upper program?

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - chess - 10-13-2008 05:07 PM

CatsClaw Wrote:

I agree with you and chess. I might get raked over the coals for this, or maybe I won't, but I actually think that Syracuse should go after him. I think he is a good coach and I think he can get Syracuse back to national prominence.

Syracuse.... Great call!

Bowden's challenge has been delivering the "dream season" at Clemson. Well, that was the same argument against his father, Osborne, Mack Brown, etc... before they won national championships. Bowden is a winner.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - bitcruncher - 10-13-2008 05:08 PM

subflea Wrote:
bitcruncher Wrote:It depends on the expectations of the fans. Washington fans don't have any, Clemson fans do...
Their expectations are pretty high at UW. They still think they are the same program that won a NC in 1991.
If that's what they think, they all need their heads examined... 07-coffee3

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - mattsarz - 10-13-2008 05:17 PM

What is Tommy's speciality? Offense or Defense? If it's offense, wonder if Tuberville has any interest in helping him fit the spread at Auburn next year.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - georgia_tech_swagger - 10-13-2008 05:27 PM

Odds of GT beating Clemson went up after the GWebb scare b/c Paul Johnson will be chewing people all week.

Then they went up again when Clemson said they'd start a true freshmen at QB against our D-Line.

Then they went up AGAIN today with the turmoil that'll be created over Tommy being fired. They've already lost alot of recruits.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - CatsClaw - 10-13-2008 05:31 PM

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:Odds of GT beating Clemson went up after the GWebb scare b/c Paul Johnson will be chewing people all week.

Then they went up again when Clemson said they'd start a true freshmen at QB against our D-Line.

Then they went up AGAIN today with the turmoil that'll be created over Tommy being fired. They've already lost alot of recruits.

Of course Georgia Tech will then lose that game. I'm not being a smart @ss or anything, but I have seen it to many times, an opponent that is easy pickings rise up and winning a game they shouldn't win. I should know, the University of Cincinnati has been on the receiving end of that more times then I can recall.

RE: Clemson fires Tommy Bowden??? - firmbizzle - 10-13-2008 05:32 PM

mattsarz Wrote:What is Tommy's speciality? Offense or Defense? If it's offense, wonder if Tuberville has any interest in helping him fit the spread at Auburn next year.

Tommy Bowden and Tommy Tuberville together next year on the sidelines. I can't tell them apart.