CSNbbs
What music are you listening to right now - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: What music are you listening to right now (/thread-213239.html)

RE: What music are you listening to right now - Lush - 09-15-2018 01:05 PM

(09-14-2018 01:10 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(09-01-2018 10:57 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  

Most excellent Dale. Makes me want to get in my car and drive a great distance listening to this music. I also like this tune from them...

nice work guys. nice work

RE: What music are you listening to right now - BEARCATDALE - 09-16-2018 09:06 PM

RE: What music are you listening to right now - UCGrad1992 - 09-17-2018 09:54 PM

RE: What music are you listening to right now - PirateTreasureNC - 09-20-2018 11:48 AM

Love that beat.... and Em is back and pissed off is a good thing.

Not bad...

RE: What music are you listening to right now - PirateTreasureNC - 09-21-2018 05:46 PM

Man, I guess Best Buy is slowly getting out of selling music on cds completely. Every new release I have looked at isn't available and in some cases for them vinyl only. WDH. I get the deal with streaming and mp3 but I like having that physical version in case something happens. I had to go on amazon and order the stuff I wanted.

RE: What music are you listening to right now - BEARCATDALE - 09-21-2018 10:48 PM

Forgot to add that was homecoming weekend so damn straight I remember. If Bob Eubanks asked about making whoopie I would do my best Al Bundy impression. I got better.

RE: What music are you listening to right now - BEARCATDALE - 09-21-2018 10:56 PM

(09-21-2018 05:46 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Man, I guess Best Buy is slowly getting out of selling music on cds completely. Every new release I have looked at isn't available and in some cases for them vinyl only. WDH. I get the deal with streaming and mp3 but I like having that physical version in case something happens. I had to go on amazon and order the stuff I wanted.

You Don’t Own What You Buy From iTunes

RE: What music are you listening to right now - PirateTreasureNC - 09-22-2018 11:22 AM

(09-21-2018 10:56 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  
(09-21-2018 05:46 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Man, I guess Best Buy is slowly getting out of selling music on cds completely. Every new release I have looked at isn't available and in some cases for them vinyl only. WDH. I get the deal with streaming and mp3 but I like having that physical version in case something happens. I had to go on amazon and order the stuff I wanted.

Yup, exactly ... AND YES .... Best Buy and others are slowly if not already getting out of physical media

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2018/07/07/best-buy-cd-sales/#62966b0a1d2e

I don't mind ordering from amazon but I don't want to pay for prime and I don't really like finding stuff to buy to meet a free shipping tier.

RE: What music are you listening to right now - UCGrad1992 - 09-22-2018 07:57 PM

I back up my iTunes library on a portable hard drive so there's no way they can take any songs from me. Unless there is a way they can disable it through the itunes player software...it's still a mp3 file though so I assume it can be played on another player.

RE: What music are you listening to right now - PirateTreasureNC - 09-22-2018 10:51 PM

(09-22-2018 07:57 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

I back up my iTunes library on a portable hard drive so there's no way they can take any songs from me. Unless there is a way they can disable it through the itunes player software...it's still a mp3 file though so I assume it can be played on another player.

DRM? Don't you have to play itunes songs through their player? And while its a .mp3 isn't it a "itunes" variant?

Just asking.

That is one reason I haven't trusted going with digital downloaded music.

RE: What music are you listening to right now - BEARCATDALE - 09-23-2018 10:01 PM

Songs from my youth.

My neighbors, the Normans, thank you for being ten years younger than my parents.

Didn't remember this until years later but so full of emotion.

Distinctly remember mom driving me home from baseball with her blaring this on the radio and having to sing with her.

RE: What music are you listening to right now - BEARCATDALE - 09-23-2018 10:02 PM

RE: What music are you listening to right now - PirateTreasureNC - 09-24-2018 12:37 PM

Upon further review... all this controversy about Eminem's Revival backlash prompting him to do Kamikaze...

Revival, as pure rhymes and beats is concerned is fine. The catch is, unlike earlier/past works, it lacks "jams." IMO, every artists albums has Jams, good songs, listenable songs, and skip-able/ trash songs. Jams are like those songs you keep going back to and can never forget. Good songs and listenable songs are those songs you won't skip, won't say aren't good...but they aren't jams--songs on an album that every time your fire it up or in general think about the artists catalog you will go to every time, turn the volume up every time ect... in essence those two categories are varying degrees of quality to your ear. Trash/skip songs are the songs that basically hate/don't like by the artist. The quantity of jams vs. good/listenable is what can differentiate a great from good album. Jams can offset trash songs but if you have nothing but good/listenable songs the album will feel flat. Also, those songs don't offset the trash songs, only a jam can. IMO, this is what Eminem has fell into... new albums lacking enough jams.

FWIW, sort of like LL Cool J and Wu Tang Clan's later works .... beats are ok.... rhymes are ok.... but these later albums lack jams so they feel flat versus earlier works where they had tons of jams.

In the rock world, I kind of liken it to some of my opinions on Metallica, Guns N Roses, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, ect.... Even though, I have found some of my favorite bands from the 80s run into the issue that "the albums" from that time are all I can get into and when they put out future work it was lacking somehow what I liked about their earlier stuff. Like Def Leppard for instance... After Hysteria hit and I liked it a lot.... when the put out Adrenalize ...it just didn't have the thing ... and heck, in getting that box set of their earlier work... I find myself even more into their earlier works I hadn't had familiarity with but the post-Hysteria is a tough listen for me. Granted, if they do that Vol. 2 of recorded work I will get it and reevaluate my thoughts. Bon Jovi, outside of Slippery When Wet and New Jersey is tough for me to get into. Metallica, while not the normal Metallica hater, I get when someone brings up Black Album versus the four prior works however, IMO, the Black Album is what a good producer and engineer can get out of a band with potential... cleaner/better sound, cleaner/better vocals/signing, and just overall sonic improvements. It still had that same bite of the earlier stuff, just cleaned up. Load/Reload era Metallica.... IMO.... wasn't "metal" but were great "rock" records. St. Anger, IMO, is their worse album in their catalog. Death Magnetic and Hardwired are an attempt to in spots a)prove they still got the hard and fast thrash still in them and b) they can make good songs that rock that aren't that "pure" thrash. I think Garage Inc was a good way to look at them....and their ability and influences to play and sing all those different forms or rock music.

But, this is where like a band like AC/DC and say Judas Priest have managed pretty consistent efforts of sound and quality across long catalogs of music. Even later day AC/DC releases might not have "classics" on them, they still have their sound and still rock out.

Gets off soapbox and goes back to listening to music....

RE: What music are you listening to right now - PirateTreasureNC - 09-24-2018 12:56 PM

A guy at work brought up a good point too ... the sampling rates for their .mp3s are usually kind of suck too ..versus say a FLAK(sp?) file or ripping off the cd directly and picking your sample rate.

So, not only do you not own it but you have crappy sound quality.

RE: What music are you listening to right now - BEARCATDALE - 09-24-2018 07:43 PM

(09-24-2018 12:56 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  A guy at work brought up a good point too ... the sampling rates for their .mp3s are usually kind of suck too ..versus say a FLAK(sp?) file or ripping off the cd directly and picking your sample rate.

So, not only do you not own it but you have crappy sound quality.

It's FLAC. That and OGG are good sounding files but they are somewhat hard to find and download. The ones I have are mostly Grateful Dead concerts.

Thought I'd drop these for you since you mentioned LL. From my college days.

and have to post this because it was first time I heard Busta.

RE: What music are you listening to right now - PirateTreasureNC - 09-24-2018 08:23 PM

You picked some good stuff there.

RE: What music are you listening to right now - Lush - 09-25-2018 10:07 AM

RE: What music are you listening to right now - UCGrad1992 - 09-25-2018 07:17 PM

RE: What music are you listening to right now - UCGrad1992 - 09-25-2018 07:27 PM

RE: What music are you listening to right now - PirateTreasureNC - 09-27-2018 07:39 PM

For no other reason than I want to.... and I have been inspired to post...