CSNbbs
What music are you listening to right now - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: What music are you listening to right now (/thread-213239.html)

RE: What music are you listening to right now - Huskypride - 05-02-2017 10:21 AM

New York,New York -Frank Sinatra

RE: What music are you listening to right now - PirateTreasureNC - 05-02-2017 02:32 PM

(05-02-2017 10:21 AM)Huskypride Wrote:  New York,New York -Frank Sinatra

REMIX LOL

RE: What music are you listening to right now - snowtiger - 05-03-2017 12:23 AM

(04-29-2017 07:23 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Love Buzz is one of my favorite Nirvana tunes...

yeah....nice exotic eastern flavor.

I get a lil sad when I see them perform...wondering what he'd be doing now. I love Foo Fighters but

RE: What music are you listening to right now - UCGrad1992 - 05-03-2017 11:24 AM

(05-03-2017 12:23 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  
(04-29-2017 07:23 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Love Buzz is one of my favorite Nirvana tunes...

I get a lil sad when I see them perform...wondering what he'd be doing now. I love Foo Fighters but

As a Gen-Xer and a past "amateur" musician, Nirvana was very influential on me. Kurt was a very talented, creative musician who helped kick the popular music scene into a different era. As some have written, once the opening chords of Smells Like Teen Spirit hit the airwaves, hairspray band metal was killed overnight. Of course, there are music purists who felt once Nirvana became "popular" to the masses they lost their rebellious, alternative credibility. I've never been one to say a band has to be one or the other. If your music is good, then popularity should not be a deterrent or criticism as long as the music always stays true to the heart.

But I digress, Kurt was also a person with a drug addiction problem and had some mental issues that became his personal demons. Throw in his relationship with an equally addictive, troubled soul - Courtney Love - his growing loathing of the spotlight and his rock star image and his life became a recipe for disaster. I believe his end result was going to happen no matter the intervention or circumstance and sadly it became his destiny (maybe even a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts). This happens a lot in the history of rock-n-roll when great musicians burn out rather than fade away (as Neil Young has pointedly sang). I've often wondered what would Jimi Hendrix have done to the guitar world, the music scene and his legacy had he lasted longer than the age of 27. Then again, maybe he would have become like Elvis - fat, iconic and a shell of his former self. Part of the legend and impact of an uber-talented, creative young artist is it hits in an instant to full effect and then it is gone just as fast.....

Back to snow's point, I truly feel sorry for Kurt's daughter Frances. She still has her kooky mother to deal with and the legend of her father that will not die. Can you imagine getting bugged all the time about your famous dad that you never knew who also happened to kill himself? I hope and pray she turns out better than her parents from a life normalcy/stability standpoint.

RE: What music are you listening to right now - PirateTreasureNC - 05-03-2017 12:14 PM

(05-03-2017 11:24 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 12:23 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  

As a Gen-Xer and a past "amateur" musician, Nirvana was very influential on me. Kurt was a very talented, creative musician who helped kick the popular music scene into a different era. As some have written, once the opening chords of Smells Like Teen Spirit hit the airwaves, hairspray band metal was killed overnight. Of course, there are music purists who felt once Nirvana became "popular" to the masses they lost their rebellious, alternative credibility. I've never been one to say a band has to be one or the other. If your music is good, then popularity should not be a deterrent or criticism as long as the music always stays true to the heart.

But I digress, Kurt was also a person with a drug addiction problem and had some mental issues that became his personal demons. Throw in his relationship with an equally addictive, troubled soul - Courtney Love - his growing loathing of the spotlight and his rock star image and his life became a recipe for disaster. I believe his end result was going to happen no matter the intervention or circumstance and sadly it became his destiny (maybe even a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts). This happens a lot in the history of rock-n-roll when great musicians burn out rather than fade away (as Neil Young has pointedly sang). I've often wondered what would Jimi Hendrix have done to the guitar world, the music scene and his legacy had he lasted longer than the age of 27. Then again, maybe he would have become like Elvis - fat, iconic and a shell of his former self. Part of the legend and impact of an uber-talented, creative young artist is it hits in an instant to full effect and then it is gone just as fast.....

Back to snow's point, I truly feel sorry for Kurt's daughter Frances. She still has her kooky mother to deal with and the legend of her father that will not die. Can you imagine getting bugged all the time about your famous dad that you never knew who also happened to kill himself? I hope and pray she turns out better than her parents from a life normalcy/stability standpoint.

IDK about some of those Nirvana comments...

No one cared about Nirvana till Nevermind released... most "fans" probably never even knew of Bleach, the album before that one. Kind of in the same way no one gave a darn about The Fugees album that came out before The Score. That said, they were alternative to a degree, but they were able to make it somewhat melodic/pop versus other bands, and that is what broke them to the masses. IMO, Nevermind from Bleach is equivalent to Metallica having The Black Album from their prior works. They somehow made their sound more accessible while being the same. That said, I do think, that his own personal issues he had prior to their major break out with Nevermind, then combine that to the issues thrust on him because of Nevermind, then you throw in his marriage with Courtney Love... who herself, with her band(s? ...Hole and ??? ) kind of made one big toxic mix of stuff going on in his life.

I'd still say that in terms of the albums I liked from them, Unplugged is my favorite. Then Nevermind. In Utero and Insecticide never really struck a cord with me overall, even if they had some decent tunes lurking within the albums. I've never listened to Bleach. I did like the Muddy Banks.... live album though... pretty good tour de force of their work in a live setting.

As far as Nirvana killing off the prior generation of "hair/glam" metal... IMO...and if you ever watched the documentary "The Decline of Western Civilization"... the whole genre was about to kill itself with everyone border line looking and sounding the same. People were going to rebell against all their excesses and also the political climate was changing to where a darker sound like Nirvana, RATM, Soundgarden... ect... was destined to take over at some point.

That said, the whole Seattle as the alternative empire of music really got blown out to large.... almost more so than the LA Glam scene.... so many bands hit the market so to speak that that sound, Grunge, couldn't have lasted forever either. Luckily Pearl Jam and Nirvana had major releases to keep them above the fray with their sounds.

There is something to be said for being in the right place at the right time.

*always loved the drum line to this one

Like this one slightly better than the rock version

RE: What music are you listening to right now - snowtiger - 05-03-2017 12:55 PM

I have listened to those who knew Kurt. The physical evidence used to determine he killed himself is suspect. Plus he had found a structural cause for his stomach pain and was moving on to a drug free life to take care of his daughter.

Some day we might know for sure. lol

RE: What music are you listening to right now - snowtiger - 05-03-2017 01:13 PM

RE: What music are you listening to right now - UCGrad1992 - 05-03-2017 08:06 PM

(05-03-2017 12:14 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  IDK about some of those Nirvana comments...

I don't see Pirate that our views are that different on the subject.

Quote:No one cared about Nirvana till Nevermind released... most "fans" probably never even knew of Bleach, the album before that one. Kind of in the same way no one gave a darn about The Fugees album that came out before The Score.

Agree in terms of "most fans." Popular is a relative term. There were diehard alternative/underground music fans that felt Nirvana and Soundgarden (among others) sold out once they became radio friendly. I knew a few of them in my college days.

Quote:That said, they were alternative to a degree, but they were able to make it somewhat melodic/pop versus other bands, and that is what broke them to the masses. IMO, Nevermind from Bleach is equivalent to Metallica having The Black Album from their prior works. They somehow made their sound more accessible while being the same.

Well, music is in the ear of the beholder. I like Bleach a lot more than Nevermind because it is raw and less polished/over-production-wise. Plus, too many songs from Nevermind have been played to death. Same thing can be said for Led Zeppelin IV, Pink Floyd The Wall, AC/DC Back In Black, etc. I do agree that it took Nevermind to first get my attention to the band.

Quote:As far as Nirvana killing off the prior generation of "hair/glam" metal... IMO...and if you ever watched the documentary "The Decline of Western Civilization"... the whole genre was about to kill itself with everyone border line looking and sounding the same. People were going to rebell against all their excesses and also the political climate was changing to where a darker sound like Nirvana, RATM, Soundgarden... ect... was destined to take over at some point.

Agree that the decline of hairspray metal was already in play but you still had to have that "watershed" moment and Nirvana was the band that broke the dike wide open and paved the way for other Seattle bands and that genre.

Quote:That said, the whole Seattle as the alternative empire of music really got blown out to large.... almost more so than the LA Glam scene.... so many bands hit the market so to speak that that sound, Grunge, couldn't have lasted forever either. Luckily Pearl Jam and Nirvana had major releases to keep them above the fray with their sounds.

Agree. That's where the truly great bands withstand the test of time and aren't trapped by genres or movements. They make their own niche.

Quote:There is something to be said for being in the right place at the right time.

Yes, but you still have to have talent and the ability to create music that people will listen to and enjoy. Easier said than done.

RE: What music are you listening to right now - UCGrad1992 - 05-03-2017 09:00 PM

(05-03-2017 01:13 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  

I always liked Jorma. His Hot Tuna days were good too...

RE: What music are you listening to right now - Lush - 05-04-2017 11:44 AM

RE: What music are you listening to right now - snowtiger - 05-04-2017 01:59 PM

(05-03-2017 09:00 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

I went to see Jorma and Jack couple times when I lived in San Francisco --back in the 80s. lol My BF (a big Jorma fan) and I were sitting up front.

Jorma's roadie came over:

"Hey, you wanna snort Coke with Jorma?"

'Yea yea," BF answered... all happy.

"You got the coke?" Roadie shot back.

lol.We didn't have any.

Never saw HOt Tuna, but it's nice to have the hard core rock and roll guys live to 'old' age. lol

RE: What music are you listening to right now - UCGrad1992 - 05-04-2017 07:14 PM

(05-04-2017 01:59 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  

I went to see Jorma and Jack couple times when I lived in San Francisco --back in the 80s. lol My BF (a big Jorma fan) and I were sitting up front.

lol.We didn't have any.

Never saw HOt Tuna, but it's nice to have the hard core rock and roll guys live to 'old' age. lol

Funny story. Any relevance between coke and snowtiger? Ha! For all intents and purposes, Jorma and Jack were Hot Tuna IMHO.

RE: What music are you listening to right now - UCGrad1992 - 05-04-2017 07:29 PM

Speaking of Jorma and Jack...

RE: What music are you listening to right now - snowtiger - 05-04-2017 11:02 PM

(05-04-2017 07:14 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(05-04-2017 01:59 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  

lol.We didn't have any.

Funny story. Any relevance between coke and snowtiger? Ha! For all intents and purposes, Jorma and Jack were Hot Tuna IMHO.

I live in NoCal at 4000 ft lol. This was the view out the kitchen window 5 weeks ago. All melted, but it's fixin to snow again in a couple days.

[Image: 33c0xoo.jpg]

RE: What music are you listening to right now - Jazzman3 - 05-05-2017 07:54 AM

DAVE PIKE " WHY NOT "

RE: What music are you listening to right now - UCGrad1992 - 05-05-2017 08:49 PM

RE: What music are you listening to right now - UCGrad1992 - 05-05-2017 08:50 PM

RE: What music are you listening to right now - UCGrad1992 - 05-05-2017 09:01 PM

RE: What music are you listening to right now - UCGrad1992 - 05-05-2017 09:25 PM

RE: What music are you listening to right now - BEARCATDALE - 05-05-2017 09:31 PM

Wife's ill so no date night. Just me drinking away some time.