How would you rank them after Week 1?

Here's mine:

1. Ohio - only team that beat a 1-A non-conference opponent
2. NIU - lost a game we led for 55 mins and should have won
3. BGSU - played tough against an SEC team until missed FGs and mistakes set in
4. Toledo - had a chance to win on a long road game
5. BSU - already 1-0 in the MAC standings
6. KSU - smoked their 1-AA opponent
7. Buffalo - did much better than i ever expected them to against one of the better SEC schools
8. EMU - played competitively for a while there against BSU
9. WMU - a veteran Alex Carder and OL only put up 7 points. What gives?
10. Miami - should have scored more points than they did
11. CMU - had to pull it out in the 4th to beat a bad 1-AA team
12. Akron - rebuilding will be in effect for a couple years at least
13. UMass - only team that failed to score any points
09-02-2012 10:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
RE: MAC Football - Week 1 rankings
(09-02-2012 10:20 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  9. WMU - a veteran Alex Carder and OL only put up 7 points. What gives?

An entire receiving corps that's the most inexperienced I've seen in years (and the jury's still out on how solid our OL actually is).

That isn't to say that Carder didn't make some bad judgement calls. But we could have Aaron Rodgers throwing for us, and until he's in sync with all those guys who've barely played prior to this season, points are going to be tough to come by.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 10:50 AM by Motown Bronco.)
09-02-2012 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ubish Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
Re: MAC Football - Week 1 rankings
On the bright side WMU defense held them to 248 total yards of offense. For comparisons sake last year Illinois rushed for over 300 yards alone. Lots of positives on defense.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
09-02-2012 11:13 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Penn State will be lucky to win 1 or 2 games this season.
09-02-2012 11:22 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
Keep in mind this is only week #1 and teams are still working out the bugs in the offensive and defensive playbook. For that reason I would give Western Michigan a little more respect even though they didn't put on a great performance.

As of right now I think there are 3 tiers in the MAC:

Upper Class: No. Illinois, Toledo, W. Michigan, Ohio
Middle Class: Bowling Green, Miami, Buffalo, Kent St, Ball St, E. Michigan, C. Michigan
Lower Class: Akron, UMass

I see the MAC filling 6 bowl slots this year. All of the upper class teams will be in bowls and probably Bowling Green and Kent State from the Middle Class with 7-5 records out of the MAC East.

Kent State has a decent team and are long overdue for a bowl. They have the longest current bowl drought in the conference at 40 seasons.
09-02-2012 11:26 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(09-02-2012 11:22 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Penn State will be lucky to win 1 or 2 games this season.

They have a preseason Sagarin rating of 26....I think you'll be surprised as the season progresses. Players could leave but there are a lot of talented players on that roster that will stay for the playing time.
09-02-2012 11:28 AM
Advertisement

BrianNowicki Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
I've been saying it since Carder's career started at WMU. He's a good QB that makes bad decisions at times. He can put up big numbers, but sometimes his mistakes cost his team a win. I think the same thing will happen this year. WMU will challenge for the West Division Title, but a game or two will come where he makes a couple of mistakes that will cost WMU the West Division Title.

Not sure I can count Toledo as upper class of the MAC. The offense is good. The impressive thing is being able to run the ball against Arizona. The problem is that Eric Page is gone and Dantin can't make the down field throws......and a young coaching staff with an OC that now has one game of experience as a Division I OC. Defensively, any team that can pass will light up Toledo. If they are ignorant and think they have to run against Toledo, then the Rockets will have a chance to get a few stops, but they're not going to stop a decent passing team in the MAC. They will have to outscore them with an offense that should be pretty darn good.

Iowa would beat Penn State pretty easily. Ohio's a very good MAC program, but NIU's the class of the MAC right now and until I see someone from the MAC knock them off they have to be the favorite. BG will threaten Ohio in the East. That game will be very good. Ball State will have a say in the West, but don't count EMU out yet either.
09-02-2012 11:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

(09-02-2012 11:28 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 11:22 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Penn State will be lucky to win 1 or 2 games this season.

They have a preseason Sagarin rating of 26....I think you'll be surprised as the season progresses. Players could leave but there are a lot of talented players on that roster that will stay for the playing time.

The problem for Penn State is that they are like a typical MAC team right now......with the transfers they don't have depth. They were a completely different offense once Belton went down. They are going to struggle this year, especially if they get hit with injuries at key positions.
09-02-2012 11:44 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(09-02-2012 11:44 AM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  

The problem for Penn State is that they are like a typical MAC team right now......with the transfers they don't have depth. They were a completely different offense once Belton went down. They are going to struggle this year, especially if they get hit with injuries at key positions.

I wouldn't underestimate vaunted Penn State's walk on program generating some depth as the season progresses.

As for Ohio, four starters were out for injury with the secondary. The team only brought their B game to Happy Valley and smoked Penn State.

Ohio last year rolled through the MAC schedule last year bringing its B game. Only when Ohio crushed Marshall 44-7 did you really see the true power of Ohio football.

That is why I say Bowling Green has zero chance to come into Peden Stadium on a midweek and pull out a win. You know its going to be one of those Bobcat Blackout student games where the stadium is amped up.
09-02-2012 11:54 AM
chipfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-02-2012 11:26 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  Keep in mind this is only week #1 and teams are still working out the bugs in the offensive and defensive playbook. For that reason I would give Western Michigan a little more respect even though they didn't put on a great performance.

Middle Class: Bowling Green, Miami, Buffalo, Kent St, Ball St, E. Michigan, C. Michigan

I see the MAC filling 6 bowl slots this year. All of the upper class teams will be in bowls and probably Bowling Green and Kent State from the Middle Class with 7-5 records out of the MAC East.

Kent State has a decent team and are long overdue for a bowl. They have the longest current bowl drought in the conference at 40 seasons.

From what I saw, you are being overly generous with the Chippewas' ranking. 04-jawdrop

Also, FWIW, I was shocked to see that any Penn State player has until Aug. 2013 to leave and play anywhere without having to sit out. Could be a mass exodus if this season goes in the tank, which I expect it will.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 11:57 AM by chipfan.)
09-02-2012 11:55 AM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
The preseason Sagarins have what he calls a "Bayesian" tilt until the teams connect themselves around week 5 or 6, meaning previous seasons have excessive impact on them.

For example, he has Boise State #5. On no planet are they the #5 team still after losing a 4 year starter, a 1st round RB and their entire SEC caliber defensive line. Florida is 12th. Stanford is 7th.

Penn State is going to drop like a rock.
09-02-2012 11:56 AM
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(09-02-2012 11:56 AM)bronconick Wrote:  The preseason Sagarins have what he calls a "Bayesian" tilt until the teams connect themselves around week 5 or 6, meaning previous seasons have excessive impact on them.

For example, he has Boise State #5. On no planet are they the #5 team still after losing a 4 year starter, a 1st round RB and their entire SEC caliber defensive line. Florida is 12th. Stanford is 7th.

Penn State is going to drop like a rock.

We will see...
09-02-2012 11:58 AM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

(09-02-2012 11:54 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 11:44 AM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  

I wouldn't underestimate vaunted Penn State's walk on program generating some depth as the season progresses.

As for Ohio, four starters were out for injury with the secondary. The team only brought their B game to Happy Valley and smoked Penn State.

Ohio last year rolled through the MAC schedule last year bringing its B game. Only when Ohio crushed Marshall 44-7 did you really see the true power of Ohio football.

That is why I say Bowling Green has zero chance to come into Peden Stadium on a midweek and pull out a win. You know its going to be one of those Bobcat Blackout student games where the stadium is amped up.

Until the game is over, there is never a zero chance
09-02-2012 12:21 PM
niubrad00 Offline
Boss

I Root For: NIU
(09-02-2012 10:20 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  How would you rank them after Week 1?

Here's mine:

1. Ohio - only team that beat a 1-A non-conference opponent
2. NIU - lost a game we led for 55 mins and should have won
3. BGSU - played tough against an SEC team until missed FGs and mistakes set in
4. Toledo - had a chance to win on a long road game
5. BSU - already 1-0 in the MAC standings
6. KSU - smoked their 1-AA opponent
7. Buffalo - did much better than i ever expected them to against one of the better SEC schools
8. EMU - played competitively for a while there against BSU
9. WMU - a veteran Alex Carder and OL only put up 7 points. What gives?
10. Miami - should have scored more points than they did
11. CMU - had to pull it out in the 4th to beat a bad 1-AA team
12. Akron - rebuilding will be in effect for a couple years at least
13. UMass - only team that failed to score any points

We did not lead the game for 55 minutes. We didn't even score until the second quarter.
09-02-2012 01:30 PM
niubrad00 Offline
Boss

No way. They'll get to at least 4 or 5.
09-02-2012 01:32 PM
niubrad00 Offline
Boss

(09-02-2012 11:26 AM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  Keep in mind this is only week #1 and teams are still working out the bugs in the offensive and defensive playbook. For that reason I would give Western Michigan a little more respect even though they didn't put on a great performance.

Disagree with WMU and CMU. They should both be lowered a notch. WMU was surprisingly incompetent Saturday. They may end up in the upper class, but for now they don't look it. CMU is still really bad. Enos might be gone before season's end. BG may warrant consideration in the upper class soon. They played with Florida the whole game.
09-02-2012 01:33 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
After week 1 performances this is how I rank em. 1 game also doesn't set the tone for the season. Some of these teams could have stinkers in week 2, or break out in week 2.
Top 40: OU
top 60: NIU, BG, Toledo, Ball State
top 75: Kent, WMU
top 100: Miami, Buffalo, EMU
top 110: CMU
Bottom 14: Akron, Umass
09-02-2012 01:55 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
will start from the bottom more of less

umass is better than akron

buffalo looked like a competent football team. they have a tough schedule, but if they steal a couple games early could get confidence and surprise people.

miami totally outplayed osu for a quarter, missed easy scoring chances and then fell apart. tough to guage them right now.

eastern is not the disaster they were for the previous decade, but may continue to be in the 4-8 or 5-7 range until they get a couple more gamebreakers

central struggled but has a huge home game next week against msu. let's see what happens there

kent st looks like a bowl team to me as long as dri archer stays healthy

ball st looked great. clemson next week is a task but if they compete and come out of death valley w/o serious injury could see them knocking off indiana, army, maybe usf at home and putting themselves in bowl position

toledo's 2 qb system failed at arizona. they're lines looked good against a pac12 program but the offense misses page and the dbs were poor in pass covereage. the schedule still includes games at niu, at wyoming, cincy, at bsu, bg, at wmu, at buffalo, at emu. which means they need to improve to get back to a bowl

niu looked pretty good all around, although their qb got skittish in the clutch and is a bit inconsistent throwing the ball. iowa is big10 but not as good as usual.

ohio looked good, didn't "smoke" penn st, but controlled flow of the game down the stretch and made plays

bg looked very capable but florida gave them chances w penalties and turnovers and bg didn't take advantage. make your fgs and run the ball a little more and probably get that big upset

mac nearly beat penn state, iowa and arizona on the same day, while looking competitive at florida and georgia. league will be tough
09-02-2012 02:50 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(09-02-2012 01:55 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  After week 1 performances this is how I rank em. 1 game also doesn't set the tone for the season. Some of these teams could have stinkers in week 2, or break out in week 2.
Top 40: OU
top 60: NIU, BG, Toledo, Ball State
top 75: Kent, WMU
top 100: Miami, Buffalo, EMU
top 110: CMU
Bottom 14: Akron, Umass

Best ranking I have seen. Ohio is set apart fro the rest as of now. I do not believe the preseason rankings that Ut, NIU and WMU will lead the West. It looks like BSU will crack the code. Feel my Huskies could drop. You have to score, be explosive.
09-02-2012 03:16 PM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
(09-02-2012 11:55 AM)chipfan Wrote:  Also, FWIW, I was shocked to see that any Penn State player has until Aug. 2013 to leave and play anywhere without having to sit out. Could be a mass exodus if this season goes in the tank, which I expect it will.

They can't transfer without having to sit out once they have played one play in any game so I doubt you'll see much of a mass exodus. My guess is the number of guys eligible to transfer without having to sit out is pretty small after yesterday.
09-02-2012 03:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.